Dreamworld reports growing slumps in attendance and revenue

Just to add to the discussion about The Claw's theming - it was meant to be a monster that was stalking a beachside camping ground (creating the link to Ocean Parade). It used to have a 'community noticeboard' out the front that helped to tell the story, but not sure if this still exists.

9 minutes ago, GoGoBoy said:

Just to add to the discussion about The Claw's theming - it was meant to be a monster that was stalking a beachside camping ground (creating the link to Ocean Parade). It used to have a 'community noticeboard' out the front that helped to tell the story, but not sure if this still exists.

Themed to look like the prehistoric paw of a 3D rampaging velociraptor, The Claw propels adrenalin junkies nine storeys high, mercilessly swinging them back and forth at 64km per hour while twisting 360 degree full circles. Guests who dare to dice with the ten to two o’clock swing experience insane gravity hang time as they perch perilously close to the edge. But once they’re harnessed, there’s no escape as the floor retracts and they’re in the clutches of The Claw. 

5 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

In regards to grammar, I'm not concerned, but I know it's not a conversation on Parkz without someone complaining about gramma.

That's why there is this https://www.parkz.com.au/about/guidelines

Getting back on topic going to have to agree with the sentiment that we wont see anything major for a while yet and the company doesn't look to be spending up on a new attraction. Whilst it may sound simple I don't think the removal of the rapids will be exactly cheap especially if they want to do it properly. That being said the ultimate win/win situation would be the removal of the rapids with the announcement of a new attraction.

People are going to disagree with me here but I think Dreamworld needs to demolish or refurb goldrush asap install a few good high capacity family rides like a new paddle wheeler or do some kind of new attraction on the murrisippi river (jungle cruise  style?) and a classic Wooden coaster maybe?  And a good focus on the detailed theming like they have been doing with the tiger island refurb 

Dreamworld had a magical atmosphere back in the day  and I think bringing some of the old Dreamworld magic back with some familiar but also new family attractions will attract more people back to the park 

44 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Don't think anyone would disagree with what you are saying Dreamworld 'needs' but the problem is the massive investment required to do all that currently wouldn't/can't be justified by Ardent 

This is true, especially considering that they are using any spare capital to expand the Main Event business in the US. As long as that arm keeps propping up the company any large-scale Dreamworld investment would probably be viewed poorly by shareholders.

I'm sure when a mod gets around to it they'll throw this into a more relevant thread, but since the conversation is here at the moment...

V8 Redline, and now HWSW, although they don't appear to fit the theme, please remember, it's Ocean Parade, and we're on the Gold Coast - home of the Gold Coast 600 (Formerly Indy) - a motorsport road circuit that just happens to get within metres of the beach.

For me, it fits.

1 hour ago, Themeparkfan said:

Dreamworld had a magical atmosphere back in the day  and I think bringing some of the old Dreamworld magic back with some familiar but also new family attractions will attract more people back to the park 

I was just thinking about this earlier. And I have thought... where is the "dream" part of Dreamworld? 

10 minutes ago, aaronm said:

This is true, especially considering that they are using any spare capital to expand the Main Event business in the US. As long as that arm keeps propping up the company any large-scale Dreamworld investment would probably be viewed poorly by shareholders.

It may be my failing memory here, or just lack of recall, but if i recall correctly - hasn't Dreamworld until recently been more profitable than Main Event, and it is Dreamworld that props Main Event up, rather than the other way around?

@Brad2912  They will need to demolish TRR at some point, and I doubt they will make a move on that until they have a new plan for it.

Ardent are a short-term profit-driven company. They run DW like they would run a bowling alley, instead of treating it like the jewel in their crown.

Just a thought though, Brisbane lacks TV studios. VR studios are equipped for Film, but not TV.  Dreamworld could build a couple of large TV studios or even a theatre that could attract major live productions - or even bring some of the work up from Sydney/Melb.

That way they could have a profit-generating asset, that also draws people into the park, and could extent events and theming around it (like they did with Big Brother).

There is a lot they could do, but I don't think Ardent are a big picture, visionary company to be able to do it (or do it successfully long-term)

1 hour ago, Themeparkfan said:

People are going to disagree with me here but I think Dreamworld needs to demolish or refurb goldrush asap install a few good high capacity family rides like a new paddle wheeler or do some kind of new attraction on the murrisippi river (jungle cruise  style?) and a classic Wooden coaster maybe?  And a good focus on the detailed theming like they have been doing with the tiger island refurb 

I went once in 1988 as a kid, but I don't remember much about it, and it was within weeks of also visiting Disneyland California. Therefore some of what little I do remember might be mixed with those other memories.

Could you elaborate on what made Dreamworld magical back in the day, in your opinion?

Main Event is the biggest contributor to profits these days. New centres have previously had around 30% annual return, meaning they pay themselves off in about three years. Dreamworld's solid $30-odd million profit each year has been propping up their USA expansion plans, not the business itself. Ardent sold their gyms, sold their marinas and have been putting every cent into their USA rollout because the returns have been so good there.

It's the execution of this USA strategy that was the undoing of Deborah Thomas, not Dreamworld's accident. Many see it as a rushed and poorly conceived plan that has more and more cracks appearing as it matures.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's the execution of this USA strategy that was the undoing of Deborah Thomas, not Dreamworld's accident. Many see it as a rushed and poorly conceived plan that has more and more cracks appearing as it matures.

They need to re-invest all of the profit from Dreamworld into expanding the park for a few years. Companies like Amazon don't pay dividends to shareholders, every cent they make goes back into providing better services and cheaper products for customers.

Ardent are doing to DW what Air New Zealand did to Ansett, using the profits to prop up other parts of the business and letting service and assets decay.

It's worth noting that Deborah Thomas wasn't the only one they've ditched.  CFO Richard Johnson has also resigned.  Ardent has an opportunity to change direction with two key leadership roles.

Just now, pushbutton said:

I went once in 1988 as a kid, but I don't remember much about it, and it was within weeks of also visiting Disneyland California. Therefore some of what little I do remember might be mixed with those other memories.

Could you elaborate on what made Dreamworld magical back in the day, in your opinion?

It was the attention to detail the manicured gardens the amazing ride and park  theming  when you walked through the town hall entrance into mainstreet square you were transported into another world another time  when went into village green it felt like you walked into a real Bavarian village with a snow capped mountain with a waterfall down the side  (avalanche )   you would walk down to river town see the vintage cars and the captain Sturt paddle wheeler and you felt like you were in an old river town of the early 1900's  ect the theming just flowed   Dreamworld staff had costumes that fit the different themed lands they were in  the entertainers and live music  where ever you went  in the park   the fun of the fair atmosphere it was all done just right  and I gues after John longhust sold it  they attempted to turn it from its Disney-like origins to more of a six flags park which in my opinion was a big mistake  with mismatched theming ect 

It's interesting the role people think Dreamworld's themeing has to do with their downturn.  Just throwing it out there, but Dreamworld's mismatched themeing isn't why they're in trouble, and I don't think creating that cohesive theme throughout the park's different lands will help them get out of trouble.

Dreamworld has 3 things which it needs right now, to demolish TRR and Gold Rush country in general, reopen or demolish the log ride (re-opening can now wait till it warms up) and to put some attraction where Gold Rush was so the park has something new to market, and the park also doesn't feel like a large chunk of it is closed.  

What attraction should they replace Gold Rush country with?  There are probably as many answers as there are members on this site, and even then most of those answers are wrong.  Personally I'd say don't blow the bank on whatever they do as whatever it is won't see massive returns, so give the area a pioneer town theme (which would mean buzzsaw could stay unchanged) and move Model T lane up there so they could have a cheap, sprawling ride with a bit of kenetic energy to it, and a new family ride to complete the area.  If Log Ride doesn't reopen then a shoot the chutes, if it does, a new flat ride, even if it's something fairly modest like a large Balloon race (obviously themed to match the area though).

13 hours ago, Reanimated35 said:

Themed to look like the prehistoric paw of a 3D rampaging velociraptor, The Claw propels adrenalin junkies nine storeys high, mercilessly swinging them back and forth at 64km per hour while twisting 360 degree full circles. Guests who dare to dice with the ten to two o’clock swing experience insane gravity hang time as they perch perilously close to the edge. But once they’re harnessed, there’s no escape as the floor retracts and they’re in the clutches of The Claw. 

If that's what they're saying now then they have changed the story. Surely I am not the only one who remembers the original theme when it first opened? It was an (unspecified) monster rampaging through a beach camping ground. All the original marketing copy referred to it.

In regards to Dreamworld's slump in attendance, it should hardly be a surprise at all. The recovery after such a major accident was always going to be extremely challenging. When two of your most popular rides have also been taken out as a result, then it's even worse. A major new family ride and a significant new roller coaster with length positioned in a new themed land are needed. But I know we all highly doubt Ardent would invest the capital; they wouldn't before, so are probably even less likely to now. Unless they feel they have no choice.

Edited by GoGoBoy

Original Ad:

And from LINK

A few days before The Claw was officially announced on 22 July 2004, construction of the ride went vertical.

Marketing

The ride was heavily marketed in the theme park and in the mass media during construction. The television commercial stated:

Prepare yourself for the ultimate thrill ride - The Claw. Swing 9 stories high, spin 360 degrees, reach zero gravity. It's Australia's first, and it's tearing into Dreamworld.

— Dreamworld, The Claw Commercial[11]

The ride's slogan, Tearing into Dreamworld was advertised on the construction fences which surrounded the attraction.[6] It was also advertised on several bus stops across the Gold Coast.

So two things there - firstly, Movie World isn't the only one to have gone vertical prior to announcement... ;)

Secondly - no mention of a raptor anywhere - just 'the claw is tearing into dreamworld'

https://www.parkz.com.au/article/2004/09/20/28-Dreamworld_welcomes_The_Claw.html

Then there's 2004 Parkz articles - with no mention of 'Raptor' anywhere in it - which unfortunately is as close as you'll get to proof - my thoughts here is that the absence is the proof - had the 'raptor' concept been 'out there' at the time it was launched, I'm fairly certain its a detail @Richard would have included in his articles...

https://www.parkz.com.au/article/2004/09/17/164-The_Claw_Tears_Into_Dreamworld.html

https://www.parkz.com.au/article/2004/07/22/24-Dreamworlds_new_attraction_is_made_official.html

https://www.parkz.com.au/article/2004/07/22/162-The_Claw_is_Tearing_Into_Dreamworld.html

Perhaps the raptor concept was a short lived idea by a marketing douche who (wrongly) figured thats what the red claws on the end of the pylons are. (they aren't even close).

3 hours ago, Themeparkfan said:

It was the attention to detail the manicured gardens the amazing ride and park  theming  when you walked through the town hall entrance into mainstreet square you were transported into another world another time  when went into village green it felt like you walked into a real Bavarian village with a snow capped mountain with a waterfall down the side  (avalanche )   you would walk down to river town see the vintage cars and the captain Sturt paddle wheeler and you felt like you were in an old river town of the early 1900's  ect the theming just flowed   Dreamworld staff had costumes that fit the different themed lands they were in  the entertainers and live music  where ever you went  in the park   the fun of the fair atmosphere it was all done just right  and I gues after John longhust sold it  they attempted to turn it from its Disney-like origins to more of a six flags park which in my opinion was a big mistake  with mismatched theming ect 

Very interesting thank you. I'm not sure I ever saw Dreamworld as you described it, although maybe I did just once in 1989.

5 hours ago, pushbutton said:

This wasn't directed at me, but I'll throw in my 2c.

I also only went once to Dreamworld as a kid, also in 1988.   I didn't go back again until my late teens/early 20s.  It had that 'magical' feeling, because back then it was only a once-or-twice in a childhood place to go typically.  We started buying annual passes when my kids were pre-school/toddler age, and they spent a couple of years going every few weeks.  To them, it was the equivalent of a slightly-more-fun-than-usual playground.