The Perception About Ride Stoppages

Ride evacuations (I'm not calling them ride unloads) were down 38% last year which is dandy.  They also quote the number of guests they had last year and how many rides people go on rides.  You think that's to set you up for them to tell you how many ride stops they had or how many guests they evacuated off a ride and in doing so prove how rare it is, and how it's not so rare that it's scary.  They do however skip that step presumably because that saying it happened around 500 times (guessing) sounds bad and instead they go straight into an out of context stat about having a 0.0004% chance of being involved in a break down (do they mean per visit or per ride taken?).  If I was a maths teacher I'd fail them for failing to show their working.

It's not a total waste though, if they ever install an elevator into the admin building they now have something totally inoffensive and bland to play during the trip.

I think it's good that they're speaking up about this, how else is the general public meant to know that the media is essentially only reporting these things for click bait and to make people paranoid that an accident may happen if they go on a ride. Not only that some of the information from the media is borderline false, I remember one article about the recent Arkham Asylum stoppage stated that the ride had stopped mid-ride. The photo in the article even showed the ride had actually stopped at the top of the lift hill. Now you could possibly say that time wise, the top of the lift hill is close to mid ride, although it's definitely not length wise, and you could argue the ride has barely even started when you are on the lift hill. The media just need to stop being jerks.

the intention behind the video is a great one.

the voiceover actor isn't suited, and sounds like they're doing it in their office, and trying not to disturb their neighbour whilst doing it.

voice actors need more range to engage a viewer. she sounds like she's tripping on diazepam.

they should get that guy that does the e-serve ad. it'd be so obnoxious the news networks would be bound to sit up and take notice!

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

the intention behind the video is a great one.

the voiceover actor isn't suited, and sounds like they're doing it in their office, and trying not to disturb their neighbour whilst doing it.

voice actors need more range to engage a viewer. she sounds like she's tripping on diazepam.

they should get that guy that does the e-serve ad. it'd be so obnoxious the news networks would be bound to sit up and take notice!

That's not an actor. That's the same person that was on camera in the previous video 

^word used to convey the role the person was playing for the purposes of the recorded media. Not intended to indicate that they were a person actively working in that profession.

there is no energy, no engagement. they are boring as batshit. On the one hand, involving actual staff in the video gives it realism.

On the other - if thats the best they've got - they should be looking elsewhere.

Look, i've been quite critical of the Movie World videos, but primarily it was the story they tried to tell (in the first one) and the really bad narration in the ones that followed.

But the imagery shown - showing the checks, discussing the sensors etc were far more detailed than both the Alton and DW ones.

Basically to sum them up:

MovieWorld: "to the -enth degree, we'll show you what's involved, for your safety

Alton: "we won't put people in danger. Here's some pictures of our rides not broken down"

DreamWorld: "we've been rectally examined by four different organisations. Trust us - it's safe."

I'll be honest and say I prefer MW's message - i'd just prefer their delivery was better.

What an insipid piece of corporate nothingness from Dreamworld. A company accountant telling us about ride safety from the least-relatable perspective possible: internal and external policy/procedure audits. It literally looks like a Powerpoint presentation and the script reads like that part of a monthly corporate meeting where you quietly check Facebook under the table.

MW's overall message is more suited to the public audience, while Dreamworld's seems to be more focused on informing the people who actually care about the whole safety process (which is certainly not as big a group as MW was targeting). I don't think I can judge which one is "better" as such since they both were giving different messages. MW's was a lot better at convincing the public that their rides are safe, but Dreamworld's I found to be more informative (as I was already aware of most of what was said in MW's video - while I wasn't so much aware of the process Dreamworld's safety audit went through). I also give Dreamworld points for having the best presenter - MW had someone who sounded like she was half-asleep, and Alton Towers had someone who seemed bored out of his mind and was very obviously reading off a script.

50 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

MW's overall message is more suited to the public audience, while Dreamworld's seems to be more focused on informing the people who actually care about the whole safety process...

If you're good at what you do, your pre-production is there you can do both, all the while being entertaining. Last Week Tonight is a great example of this.

1 hour ago, Santa07 said:

Dreamworld's seems to be more focused on informing the people who actually care about the whole safety process

Who are these people that care about the safety process yet somehow missed the months of news coverage and Ardent's own announcements that went into detail about every single thing that was said in that video? This 'update' is a rehash of information that has been widely publicised for about six months. The information itself is inoffensive enough, but the perplexing thing though is that they made no efforts to script or present it as something that's vaguely shareable and social media friendly but rather something out of a new employee orientation seminar.

The actual interesting thing to find out would be what has changed internally or with the park's overall culture towards maintenance and operations as a result of these unprecedented audits, but I don't think that would make for a feelgood corporate video.

Points go to Alton Towers for managing to blame ride stoppages on guests' behaviour and weather. 

I'd have much rathered Dreamworld summarize for each of the big nine what the audits revealed, and what was done.  For now all I know is they were closed a long time (in many cases), and work was required (in some cases).  If it was safe in the first place tell me nothing needed doing (it's a good news story), if it needed a few minor things then tell me that too (I can take comfort in hearing that the stuff you were fixing is thin end of the wedge) - just don't leave me to guess what was wrong that needed it closed all that time.