Jump to content

Effect or Audio Errors on Rides


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

It's not on a ride, but it's become a very important part of Movie World and it ain't working at the moment!

 

IMG_20170516_142113.jpg

Can someone get a photo holding up today's newspaper and another clock/watch in the photo, then complete and sign a stat dec to confirm all is true and accurate. 

That's the only way we can truly end #clockgate2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Slick said:

Speaking of... We recently discovered, the lack of bubbles has a lot to do with the Sea World mugs they serve the beer in. That and a good solid beer line clean was sorely needed.

Are you saying we now need to bring our own if we wish to have bubbles in our beer?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I know I definitely went on (or in) Young Einstein the first time I ever went to Movie World.

I can't remember anything about it except the name though!

Can someone describe what it was please, and also where in the park it was.

https://www.parkz.com.au/parks/AU/Gold_Coast/Warner_Bros_Movie_World/ride/59-Young_Einstein_Gravity_Homestead 

It was located where the Intencity games arcade is now.

Edited by rac2703
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow! Thanks Rac2703. With that plus the Police Academy Stunt show, Gremlins ride, Looney Tunes River Ride, and the studio tours I really wish I'd lived in Queensland back then.

Don't get me wrong Movie World is still very good, but I hate to see an awesome, fantastic park become a very good park!

Dodgems and an amusement arcade instead of an adventure as a police cadet in Gotham City Library? No contest!

Edited by pushbutton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I do confess a great deal of nostalgia for 'old Movie World', specifically Police Academy and Looney Tunes River Ride, these were rides with finite lifespans. Gremlins was an aged product of its time, likewise Police Academy and the first Batman simulator, 2017 would not be kind to these rides because they would seem quaint at best and antiquated for sure by modern standards. Say what you will about the modern replacements, but they fit the bill for this current time. (The only sore point for me personally is Hollywood Stunt Driver 2 which feels wholly a poor imitation, they could have kept the show relevant but similar to Police Academy by theming it to something hip and current but still funny like the 21 Jump Street remakes).

To the point though, Movie World while victim perhaps to trying to pander to what's 'cool' in the moment (chasing money in Matrix, Pokemon, Harry Potter and now DC Comics) it was a great park and still is a great park, just different. I can set aside my nostalgia for 'Rodney from Tasmania' and journeying to the center of the earth if it means the future is hypercoasters and likewise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even as little as a few years ago Hollywood Stunt Driver was very good, but the current show doesn't even involve any stunts, and the explosion no longer makes any sense!

I'm all for changing things to keep them relevant. However some things unfortunately just aren't as good as what was there before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't call HSD "very good" at any time in it's life. The original was at least decently put together, but lacked the crowd involvement elements. It at least had a big 'wow' factor finale, unlike the current iteration... but it was still paled by comparison to PASS.

I for one would like to see them bring back a western themed stunt show - but alas, professional stuntment are far more expensive than a panelbeater.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, pushbutton said:

I know I definitely went on (or in) Young Einstein the first time I ever went to Movie World.

I can't remember anything about it except the name though!

Can someone describe what it was please, and also where in the park it was.

I remember it well. It was basically a guided tour through an old historic wooden house aka Albert Einstein's house from the movie, which was deliberately built on heavy angles as to make guests believe they were seeing the host and props doing weird gravity defying stunts (a rolling pin being rolled down a table, only to roll back up again is the one i most fondly recall) when really it was all just visual mind tricks.  

Even better, here's an old video 😁👍

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1638481583125415&id=1636258723347701

Edited by Theme Park Girl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Wow! Thanks Rac2703. With that plus the Police Academy Stunt show, Gremlins ride, Looney Tunes River Ride, and the studio tours I really wish I'd lived in Queensland back then.

Don't get me wrong Movie World is still very good, but I hate to see an awesome, fantastic park become a very good park!

Dodgems and an amusement arcade instead of an adventure as a police cadet in Gotham City Library? No contest!

@pushbuttonyou are stretching the how good some of these attractions were.

When MW opened in 1991 it had Star Parade, Boot Hill Graveyard, Looney Tunes River Ride, Movie Magic Special Effects Show, Police Academy Stunt Show, The Great Gremlins Adventure, Western Action Show & Young Einstein Gravity House.

Now we have Arkham Asylum, Batwing Spaceshot, Green Lantern, Doomsday Destoyer, HSD2(shit), Justice League: Alien Invasion, Movie World Junior Driving School, Road Runner Rollercoaster, Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster, Superman Escape and Wild West falls. (SOON TO BE HYPER COASTER)  We also now get night events.
 

How do you get MW was "FANTASTIC' and now it's very good?

The walk-through Young Einstein you would only ever do once. (It was a small box)

Back in 1991 most people were lucky to go to 1 theme park once a year so your memory would fade if an attraction was not that good.  In 2017 with all the seasons passes, attractions need to re-doable.  I would put money on it, even you would struggle to redo Young Einstein attraction every time you visited.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I think the thing everyone is tapping into isn't nostalgia - it's the 'movie magic' theme that used to be a part of every ride at Movieworld.

Every ride (Batman, Gremlins, Police Academy, Lethal Weapon) had a clear story element to it, or at least a connection back to the movie.  It wasn't a loose 'if you pay attention you'll get it' thing like with Arkham Asylum, they genuinely made an effort to make each ride a journey from start-to-finish.  The rides were immersive and had unexpected elements that would surprise you along the way - like the usher running into a theatre screaming on the gremlins ride.

The staff played roles.  They were an integral part of that story and experience.  Whereas now, the only thing you're likely to hear from a staff member is 'make sure you have everything out of your pockets'.

The guests at the park were mostly treated as active participants in the story of the ride - not just passive observers/riders.

It is much cheaper for MW to license the DC cinematic universe than individual films and the characters will last much longer without dating, but hopefully they can expand their digital interactive offerings in the future to bring back some of that participation in a way that doesn't require lots of expensive performance staff.

Movieworld is still a great theme park and they have a lot of opportunities to introduce a new kind of 'magic' in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think you will find a person on here that doesn't want the "movie magic" theme attached to every ride.  The problem is the "movie magic" theme comes at a price.  The same person calling for the old "movie magic" theme also only wants to charge people $35.00 to enter the park.

The question is if you want the best rides in the world and you want to attach the “movie magic” theme to them how much are you willing to pay for it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Skeeta said:

I don't think you will find a person on here that doesn't want the "movie magic" theme attached to every ride.  The problem is the "movie magic" theme comes at a price.  The same person calling for the old "movie magic" theme also only wants to charge people $35.00 to enter the park.

The question is if you want the best rides in the world and you want to attach the “movie magic” theme to them how much are you willing to pay for it?

Less than $35 it seems. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Movie World is the only park I don't have strong nostalgic feelings for, and I was at the exact right age when it opened.  The only thing I think the park had going for it back in the day were more genuine family rides than today (3) and far better shows.  Improve the entertainment offerings (which if they really gave any sort of shit about they could do tomorrow) and add a genuine family adventure ride and some token 'behind the scenes' element and you've got a park that would easily be a million times better than what was there before.  As it is now, it's probably still better than it used to be, the ride collection is far better, and the sorts of rides they have now give the park better atmosphere than it used to have.  The thing is though it used to take a good couple hours just to experience everything even without queueing because that's just how long everything went for.  Whereas now you're looking at what an hour and a half tops if you include the parade and HSD?

 

Also just saying, Lethal Weapon did not have a story, it had a pointless clip from the Movie.  Arkham despite being more cheap looking definitely has more of a story than Lethal.  It's 'You're in Arkham asylum, the Joker and Harley Quinn have taken over and are putting you on their own version of Shock Therapy' V 'Here's a clip from Lethal Weapon and you're a stunt driver(?)'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wikiverse said:

 

I think the thing everyone is tapping into isn't nostalgia - it's the 'movie magic' theme that used to be a part of every ride at Movieworld.

Every ride (Batman, Gremlins, Police Academy, Lethal Weapon) had a clear story element to it, or at least a connection back to the movie.  It wasn't a loose 'if you pay attention you'll get it' thing like with Arkham Asylum, they genuinely made an effort to make each ride a journey from start-to-finish.  The rides were immersive and had unexpected elements that would surprise you along the way - like the usher running into a theatre screaming on the gremlins ride.

The staff played roles.  They were an integral part of that story and experience.  Whereas now, the only thing you're likely to hear from a staff member is 'make sure you have everything out of your pockets'.

The guests at the park were mostly treated as active participants in the story of the ride - not just passive observers/riders.

It is much cheaper for MW to license the DC cinematic universe than individual films and the characters will last much longer without dating, but hopefully they can expand their digital interactive offerings in the future to bring back some of that participation in a way that doesn't require lots of expensive performance staff.

Movieworld is still a great theme park and they have a lot of opportunities to introduce a new kind of 'magic' in the future.

I mostly agree with this, but Arkham Asylum actually has by far the best movie magic of any gold coast ride now with VR. If you haven't tried it yet, do asap!

Far from "if you pay attention you'll get it". Actually more like if you pay $5 you'll get it!

Edited by pushbutton
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.