Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster refurb

14 minutes ago, Roachie said:

I mean, they could just put a few overhead lights in, they're pretty cheap.

I think though overhead lighting would ruin the dungeon atmosphere of the queue - if it was bright enough to clearly see the chains, for someone who has just come inside from broad sunlight - which is why subtly placed, but bright lights would work better (sure they're more expensive, and harder to implement) but we're always so critical of the level of themeing and detail they put in (or don't put in) that just plonking some bright overhead lights would be lambasted to the enth degree.

Electric rope/string lighting doesn't survive commercial use very well. 12 hr days plus the combination of the quality of the LED's, and movement/impact from people touching or pulling on it, you're always having to fix it. It's the sort of stuff that works well when you can't see it.

Edited by Levithian

At what point do they just say "Stuff it" and throw in the towel on Scooby Doo? Is it really worth spending a fortune on reviving a clearly rundown attraction when they could utilize the space and ride with a new IP... Even though said ride would probably be "DC JUSTICE LEAGUE: WILD MOUSE COASTER".

I feel that Scooby is unfortunately at a point of no return .

18 minutes ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

At what point do they just say "Stuff it" and throw in the towel on Scooby Doo? Is it really worth spending a fortune on reviving a clearly rundown attraction when they could utilize the space and ride with a new IP... Even though said ride would probably be "DC JUSTICE LEAGUE: WILD MOUSE COASTER".

That's where you're wrong, kiddo. 

SDSC is a crowd favourite, even in its current bare state. It's been discussed at length and agreed that the Scooby Doo theme will stay after it goes down for maintenance at the end of the year. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

There is a brand new Scooby-Doo CGI animated film in production right now.  It originally had a 2018 release date, but WB pushed it back to May 15, 2020.  It will be the first movie in the 'Hanna Barbera Cinematic Universe' which will include The Jetsons.

As a film franchise, Scooby Doo is about to be refreshed and renewed by WB. 

• Like 2

Just now, wikiverse said:

There is a brand new Scooby-Doo CGI animated film in production right now.  It originally had a 2018 release date, but WB pushed it back to May 15, 2020.  It will be the first movie in the 'Hanna Barbera Cinematic Universe' which will include The Jetsons.

As a film franchise, Scooby Doo is about to be refreshed and renewed by WB. 

Cheers for the input, I had no idea that Scooby-Doo was getting a new feature film! Makes more sense now that they'd keep the theme and subject.

I wonder if the update will be based around the new movie or whether it will play off of the nostalgia of the old attraction.

I'd much prefer for the coaster to be rethemed to the classic Scooby Doo cartoons or the new animated movie rather than sticking to the original. IMO theming the ride to the at best forgettable live action movie has made it - in 2016 kind of odd looking to the audiences that Scooby Doo targets, primarily families of children who were not alive when the original movie came out. Surely the theme worked when the live action movies were still relevant around 2002-2006, but these days, the movie has been forgotten by most people, with good reason - it was a bland, boring movie which lacked the charm and gags of the original cartoon series.

10 hours ago, djrappa said:

The whole space is one of my most hated places in the park lighting wise and it drives me nuts every time I see it. Badly needs a refit by a theatrical lighting designer... again something only Disney and Universal do, which is why their stuff looks 100x better than spaces lit by electricians.

So Neville if anyone remembers him?

1 hour ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

I'd much prefer for the coaster to be rethemed to the classic Scooby Doo cartoons or the new animated movie rather than sticking to the original. IMO theming the ride to the at best forgettable live action movie has made it - in 2016 kind of odd looking to the audiences that Scooby Doo targets, primarily families of children who were not alive when the original movie came out. Surely the theme worked when the live action movies were still relevant around 2002-2006, but these days, the movie has been forgotten by most people, with good reason - it was a bland, boring movie which lacked the charm and gags of the original cartoon series.

Iunno, as a massive Scooby fan, i'd have to disagree. Anyone that's worked retail knows you can talk about any random subject at any given time, and as such i've talked with several customers about Scooby. And any time i've ratted off a name or description of ANY villains in the seasons and shows leading up to the films, nobody has known who im talking about until i rat off where they are or what part they play in the 2nd film. Even in the Cosplay community, when i say i'm working on a Captain Cutler outfit nobody has any clue who that is until i tell them "Hes the guy in the lake in the 2nd film when they go to the clubhouse". How many members here had no idea who that was until that description? If the niche-ish market based on outdated pop culture doesn't know who that is, why would the GP know any of them? Not to mention, would you rather the ride look like it used to, or like one of the piss poor Sally Scooby shooting rides? While i may be a little biased considering the first one is my 2nd favourite live action movie behind Bootmen, the films are still relevant and remembered by many. Even the guy in the gift shop at the end seems to love it, instantly picking up on my Spooky Island shirt and then throwing facts at me (all of which i already knew). Also, the first film while lacking many of the gags of the original series' it gave us depth to the characters. Something apart from Scooby and Scrappy we hadn't seen until What's New Scooby Doo and very much the even more recent, Mystery Incorporated. It was when they added in the gags in the 2nd one where the film fell short.

Also, you're suggesting a retheme of a ride based on a ghost train in a tropical themepark to a 48 year old TV show that unless you grew up on the show or are as much of a fan of it as i am, no one remembers. Let that thought sink in. If you're suggesting that, you might as well just remove everything from that ride leaving nothing but a shed and some track and theme it to Mad Max thus alienating a good chunk of your patronage.

• Like 1

Would it really be cheaper to remove the SD theme though. They’ve still got the whole castle and queue area in one piece. That would cost a fortune to replace. And the SD theme is a favourite. 

Last night when I went on it at FN, there were definitely more lights on and you could see th whole ride the whole way through. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Richard changed the title to Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster refurb