Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster refurb

Soooo...... Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster is currently scheduled for 2 lots of annual maintenance, according to the official website:

20170521_134743.thumb.png.52c87c5733417081fa7afcca47e55fbc.png

The first one is not really unusual, as most here would know the ride always go down at this time of year (Aug/September) to get its annual tune up. 

What's interesting however is the second one... the ride will essentially be closed for nearly 2 months, and reopening on Boxing Day 😮

I'd put money on this being the time period on when they are planning the full refurb of the ride! Especially when Boxing Day is a popular time for theme parks to launch/open new attractions... or in this case (and also Hot Wheels) fully refurbished ones 😁

What's everyone hoping to see done to the ride with the upcoming refurb, since it's practically a blank canvas again right now in its stripped state? And do we think it will stay the same Scooby Doo theme, or change to something completely different? 

With the exception of some 'illusion breaking' moments in the latter part of the ride, the theming was almost on par with Disney-esque attraction BUT with some of the kind of wild thrills reserved for fairground attractions. It wasn't perfect but it was top tier for sure. Quite frankly, without a substantial investment in its future proofing (i.e. taking notes from the timeless Haunted Mansion from aforementioned Disney parks) OR reverting it back to its original status there is potential for a massive failure with the refurbishment. If they cheap out on the sets and props or rely too heavily on virtual over practical effects it will be only to the detriment to the ride.

Having said that, I haven't ridden the ride in its current bare bones state so I guess anything would be an improvement...

Pretty sure the Nov/Dec dates for SDSC were about the same as last years when they ripped everything out. 

I think the August dates will give better clues as to what is happening considering it's current state their are only few reminders left that it is indeed a Scooby-Doo themed ride.

While it makes sense to cash in on an affordable re-etheme as it stands, it also makes sense to weigh up the options and consider the foreseeable popularity and on-going marketability of the said name and iconic MW ride.

I remain cautiously optimistic that Scooby will remain and the overall experience plussed to give it a modern day lease on life.

Edited by MickeyD

50 minutes ago, MickeyD said:

[snip]

I remain cautiously optimistic that Scooby will remain and the overall experience plussed to give it a modern day lease on life.

Me too MickeyD, because I'm very worried a DC re-theme will take its' place, considering it is alongside the DC Villains area.

Not worried that it wouldn't be a great themed ride, but worried that it's another step in the eventual renaming of this park Village DC World.

Initially, I was one of those pundits that was in favour of a re-theme of everything in the park to cater to a DC audience but the more I think of it, I'm totally against it. Its "Warner Bros" Movie World, and as such should incorporate themes across all their franchises. The SDSC was one of the best themed rides in the park, and based on my last visit there with the bare-bones version, it sorely needs its theming back. Even when I watch the movie with my kids, they scream out and say "Dad, we sat on those rollercoaster cars!" - it creates a common link between the rider and the movie and adds to the enjoyment factor immensely. If anything could be done to improve it further, I'd say give the main area of the coaster some more visual effects, maybe some 3D effects like you see at the Sydney Vivid festival, or at NYE when they project lasers over the water to create a 3D effect. Maybe some holographic ghosts? What do you guys reckon?

So a whole year without any theme! Surely that wasn't really necessary.

At least now we know when it will be back.

Personally I'm hoping it will still be Scooby themed as I don't know of a more suitable theme for it. Hopefully as good as or ideally better than it used to be.

Edited by pushbutton

11 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

At least now we know when it will be back.

Personally I'm hoping it will still be Scooby themed as I don't know of a more suitable theme for it. Hopefully as good as or ideally better than it used to be.

It may not have been necessary but it's been fun going on Scooby without the theme and the ride being even more dark than usual. 

11 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

Why was it not necessary?

12 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I personally hope they kill off Scooby Doo.  Time for something new.  What, Harry Potter would not be better?

37 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

Why was it not necessary?

I personally hope they kill off Scooby Doo.  Time for something new.  What, Harry Potter would not be better?

Actually I would prefer Harry Potter, but when I've suggested a Harry Potter theme previously others have said Movie World couldn't get the license.

6 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

@rac2703 Have you seen the contract?

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312507178559/dex1041.htm

"shall be exclusive in relation to use of the Licensed Property in connection with theme parks, amusement parks, water parks and stand-alone themed venues that are smaller than typical theme parks but are extensively themed and contain rides, retail and/or food service, similar to those found in a theme park (e.g., the “Star Trek: The Experience” attraction at the Las Vegas Hilton), during the Term within the Territory. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Licensor may use, or permit others to use, the Licensed Property in connection with a traveling museum-quality exhibition that may be presented at museums, convention/exhibition halls and other venues."

Very important section you didn't emphasis - the exclusivity applies only "within the Territory". Territory being defined as being within 250 miles of the Universal Orlando Resort.

So this contract is worthless in supporting your argument that Universal has a world wide exclusivity right...

Thanks.  I just did the quickest flick in history and came across a few reasons why the contract can stop without even getting into it.  Universal (unlikely) but possible might not even take the next option to extend the contract.

So, we don’t go around in circles.  I already know what’s going on with SDSC and it’s not Harry Potter.

I’m just trying to make a point, nothing is plain and simple.

3 years ago, I would have laughed at you if you told me MW would build a hyper.  If MW can buy a hyper then a RMC ride also would have to be possible in an Australian park.

Edited by Skeeta

• Richard changed the title to Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster refurb