Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster refurb

Rode last Saturday. Not sure if this is new but I did notice framework (insert wall here!) surrounding the track throughout the ride. I could also see one of the Monsters sitting in the Dark - the one who extends his arms toward you as the Car passes.

Also the Cars themselves seem to have been repainted. Faces look freshened and shiny overall. A good sign that the ride will maintain it's Scooby-Doo theme.

Paintwork in the corridor leading up to the station is in terrible shape. Bored Patrons have had a field day etching their initials here for too long, I am sure this area will be dressed up when the ride goes down next month.

Finally, the ride experience itself seemed improved with less pressure applied to the brakes after the last 2 drops.  The braking here seemed less abrupt since last time I rode a few months.

3 hours ago, MickeyD said:

Paintwork in the corridor leading up to the station is in terrible shape. Bored Patrons have had a field day etching their initials here for too long, I am sure this area will be dressed up when the ride goes down next month

That corridor was repainted only a couple of months ago.

Such is the lack of respect some people have that it's once again already heavily vandalised by moronic idiots. Very sad really, but not Movie Worlds fault.

Yes & no for MW's fault. Number one rule for theming is keep it out of reach of guests, to try and prevent vandalism. That corridor used to be wide with poles to stop guests getting near the walls. Fast Track means 2 queues now in the one corridor, which means guests are right next to the walls. Perfect for etching their names into it. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Reanimated35 said:

Maybe if the queue videos weren't so boring they'd have something to entertain themselves with. 

We were actually discussing this whilst waiting the other day. The video they show is too short. We saw the same video 6 times before we left the room.

It would be better if they actually played the movie or even episodes of the cartoon.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, djrappa said:

First rule of que design, if people are bored they will damage shit... 

Good parks don't let them be bored
Ok parks make it so they can't damage stuff
The rest do neither...

Great parks are of course all run by Disney and do both :)

I remember on my first visit to Cedar Point in 2006 they offered line entertainment. People walked through the queues talking to people, playing games with them and offering prizes. They also had DJs playing music requests for people. Made the long 2+ hour waits much more bearable!

Perhaps with the maintenance currently being done on Scooby Movieworld will look at the queue that they have and redesign it so that people can't graffiti it.

I wonder how many times over the years people have walked inside from the bright Sun only to crash into/trip over the queue rails and chains inside the main queue and actually hurt themselves? I was saying this to my other half only just the other day when a couple in front of us walked into a chain and we agreed it's an accident that's easily avoidable.

#1 the entry host simply needs to do their job by ensuring the queue chains are adjusted and tidied  according to the wait. 

#2 If there is little to no wait, Entry Host 'groups' Guests just inside the entry for a few moments to allow eyes to adjust to the darkness before entering the Building.

#3 install LED tape lighting that runs along the queue floor and with a flick of a switch, the Entry Host can change the lights to direct Guests in the queue, little bit like an Airport runway. The LED's could be colourful like green, purple, deep red to add to the ambience of the room.

As for the areas of the queue being damaged by fidgity Guests, perhaps consider some Curtains/drapes for the corridor and still have the dungeon lights poking through the gaps and maybe some gold ropes holding back the edges to enhance the look. Whilst they are at it, please fix the back stage light shining through from behind the monitor. It breaks the themeing and looks just crap. A simple scurting curtain across the top would do the trick. 

images.jpg

images (1).jpg

images (2).jpg

images (3).jpg

• Like 2

I love the queue lighting idea with LED, but to put them into the floor would need to be recessed, which is a lot of work, and will also ruin the themeing, since the floor is stencilled.

A similar idea would be to have 'fixed' queue rails, rather than chains, which could have the lights mounted in a pelmet under the top rail. It would light them clearly enough underneath that people would see them. Colour change is nice, but probably unnecessary (and even with good intentions, the colour change probably would fall into disuse, or be broken). A single colour, even if it were red, blue, or warm white (please no cool white) on a dim setting would probably be sufficient. Any moveable sections, which would be chains, could easily have a light mounted on the end of the post shining across that path and illuminating the chain. Whether they have plans to do anything with the queue or not, its probably too late for them to have it ready for the refurbishment which is due to be ready by christmas, and further, they're unlikely to spend more money on a ride that is over a decade old, even if it is a popular one, unless it is part of the refurb and therefore part of the budget. It would be nice to have the queue rails lit somewhat better than they are, but they've survived this long without a major lawsuit, so its probably not a high priority.

As for the curtains in the hallway, an excellent suggestion! And +1 for hiding the work light back of house. Whether or not they do narrow the queue line (they probably won't) people up against cloth aren't as likely to be able to do damage. Do it in a dark colour that pens or texta aren't likely to show up much (black or black patterned is probably best), and as long as they're a continuous drape from one end to the other, you're unlikely to have much issue with people getting in behind them... and even if they do, the drapes will naturally fall back into place, hiding it.

The only issue with drapery is permanent installations do tend to look disgusting after a while - even the ones in main street are looking tired, and the only reason they look as good as they do is because being outside in the wind and the rain keeps the dust off. Inside that hallway, they'd be very dusty, very quickly.

• Like 1

For the love of all that is holy can they please update the voice over in the queue? It's completely immersion breaking when you're in this dark eerie space, absorbing the atmosphere and then suddenly this abnormally happy Aussie guy jumps on cheerily announcing "Welcome to Scooby Doo's Spooky Coaster!"

I find myself laughing at it each time the voice over plays because it's so out of place. Can't they have a voice over similar to the tower of terror at Disney? Something ominous that gets you in the mood for the ride.

Edited by CaptainLazerGuns

14 minutes ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

For the love of all that is holy can they please update the voice over in the queue? It's completely immersion breaking when you're in this dark eerie space, absorbing the atmosphere and then suddenly this abnormally happy Aussie guy jumps on cheerily announcing "Welcome to Scooby Doo's Spooky Coaster!"

I find myself laughing at it each time the voice over plays because it's so out of place. Can't they have a voice over similar to the tower of terror at Disney? Something ominous that gets you in the mood for the ride.

Not a bad idea, a safety video in a similar style to Fear Fall at Islands of Adventure could also work in the main queue

That's something I loved about a lot of rides I went on overseas, their safety videos are themed to the ride and are played during the queue, mixed in with other videos to keep you entertained. I loved the Simpsons ride at Universal Studios Orlando because it was playing clips from the Simpsons in a sketch comedy show style. 

1 minute ago, Jdude95 said:

That's something I loved about a lot of rides I went on overseas, their safety videos are themed to the ride and are played during the queue, mixed in with other videos to keep you entertained. I loved the Simpsons ride at Universal Studios Orlando because it was playing clips from the Simpsons in a sketch comedy show style. 

It helps immerse you into the attraction and is such a simple thing. The new spiel on Arkham is a step in the right direction with the cynical nurse lady. I found myself really enjoying that spiel and it got me really into the attraction.

55 minutes ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

this abnormally happy Aussie guy jumps on cheerily announcing "Welcome to Scooby Doo's Spooky Coaster!"

*In a really poor attempt at an american accent - pretty much like all the other voiceovers \ videos in the park.

25 minutes ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

It helps immerse you into the attraction and is such a simple thing. The new spiel on Arkham is a step in the right direction with the cynical nurse lady. I found myself really enjoying that spiel and it got me really into the attraction.

@Roachie

• Like 1

• Richard changed the title to Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster refurb