Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster refurb

8 minutes ago, AlexB said:

The Saw information would likely relate to Fright Nights.

HP merch used to be sold on main street in the building next to ben and jerrys (it was the harry potter store until the license was removed). the non-branded store continued to sell all sorts of HP merch until a year or so ago when it was refreshed, i think into a DC heroes store of some description.

HP merch is still likely in the movie memorabilia store - the first store on the right as you walk up main street, and likely, given the convoluted nature of the HP license between WB and JK Rowling, its probably easier to have that buried somewhere in the deep depths of park information whilst there is still any sort of HP merch in park.

So there could be a saw scare maze for fright nights.

2 minutes ago, rac2703 said:

No the disclaimer was for the store that no longer exists. Any merchandise sold will always have its own trademark disclaimer printed on its packaging. 

Why would you need a disclaimer for a store that no longer exists.

Do you ever think before you speak Push? The me're fact Disney built what he did means he could afford it! 
PS when it opened many things in Disneyland were cheap and nasty FYI

It's simply not possible for our parks to build a 200-300 million dollar attraction, regardless of how much you might want one.

Yep - old uncle Walt sold options on many in-park properties to corporations in the early years. Practically everything that could be sold \ sponsored out was - although they very quickly reigned that in and bought all the shares back.

Something that has always made me wonder though -

Wonderland had most of it's attractions 'presented' or 'sponsored' by major corporate partners - coke, ampol, Navy, Channel 7 etc.

I've always wondered why more of the attractions on the gold coast don't have similar partnerships. it'd add additional funds into the revenue stream \ cover ride costs enabling the park to devote more of their general revenue to new attractions \ developments.

50 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Do you ever think before you speak Push? The me're fact Disney built what he did means he could afford it! 
PS when it opened many things in Disneyland were cheap and nasty FYI

It's simply not possible for our parks to build a 200-300 million dollar attraction, regardless of how much you might want one.

Do you ever consider that perhaps I'm an intelligent person with a wealth of knowledge on most matters I comment on.

I would have to wonder what sponsorship like what you're discussing would be worth - my tip is not very much.  In most cases it's not really on-brand for most brands, and doesn't give them much of an opportunity to engage with the punters.  I'd be more inclined to think there's contra rather than cash changing hands in a lot of these deals.  Realistically - how many people would sponsorship like this reach in a given year?  Take that figure and work out what that would cost you to reach via other channels (eg; social media paid advertising) and consider that many other channels give you at least some ability to target, not to mention properly spruik your wares.

Given it's probably not a great deal of money, I would have to wonder why a park might bother pursuing it given the costs of commercials in tee'ing something like that up.  You've also got maintenance, the effect of downtime, and - god forbid - the collateral cost to the brand should the attraction be involved in something like TRR.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Yep - old uncle Walt sold options on many in-park properties to corporations in the early years. Practically everything that could be sold \ sponsored out was - although they very quickly reigned that in and bought all the shares back.

Something that has always made me wonder though -

Wonderland had most of it's attractions 'presented' or 'sponsored' by major corporate partners - coke, ampol, Navy, Channel 7 etc.

I've always wondered why more of the attractions on the gold coast don't have similar partnerships. it'd add additional funds into the revenue stream \ cover ride costs enabling the park to devote more of their general revenue to new attractions \ developments.

I'd think if not done well it might look a bit tacky and a sell out. 

42 minutes ago, Jdude95 said:

Honestly... no

I like this guy. 

2 pages on and what does all this have to do with Scooby-Doo refurb? Ugh cmon ppl back on topic!!

I rode SDSC last week and I must say I am really not enjoying those last two dips on the ride. Yes, I am getting on in the years but generally I don't have a problem with the ride's comfort. Is it just me or would others agree this part of the track could probably do with some tlc?

I get that @Santa07. I have also ridden it more times than I care to remember, right back to when it very first opened. I have no problem with the jerkiness or jarring of the ride, the physical sensation on the last dip in the main room and sudden braking before unload on that last little dip, imo are showing their age.

I don't think it would take too much to improve the comfort of these areas and knowing how talented many of the Fitters are in the MW Tech services department I wouldn't be surprised if it's something they have on their wishlist to address.

I do agree the last three (if you count that tiny 'hidden' drop that's actually the worst) are quite jarring. Not sure if they're getting worse or I'm getting older, haha.

I think if anything it's the speed which makes these worse. Does steel track 'age' as such (besides to corrosion), or is it all due to the trains and wheels?

The 'big' drop in the main room I am OK with, the one that follows has a very tight dip, making it jarring at speed. I agree that last little drop pressing onto brakes at what feels like high pressure is a bit of a whack to the knees!

In an indoor coaster I doubt the track deteriorates a great deal however I am sure the trains themselves are the culprit. Despite an ongoing maintenance program (they never stop working on them) like anything, they will surely wear over time. I wonder how far each of these cars has actually traveled in it's lifetime?

Fun thought.. how about some spinning cars for the end of the year as part of the ride's new lease on life?

I totally agree about feeling pain on the last couple of Scooby drops. I ride it so rarely that I can't remember exactly which drops are the worst, but I do remember wondering the same thing about whether the ride had deteriorated or whether it was just my old age. I certainly don't remember being in pain when the ride first opened. I get off feeling nauseous and a bit headachy, and I'm pretty sure most of that is from the roughness and intensity of the last portion of the ride. I'd love it if they could address it somehow.

4 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Do you ever consider that perhaps I'm an intelligent person with a wealth of knowledge on most matters I comment on.

OFF TOPIC: No I don't mate. Because everything you comment on you do so with out any semblance of perspective or practicality.

ON TOPIC: Given the only parts there are to wear on the cars in Scooby are all replaced regularly I don't think its that. Most of the Jarring I feel comes from the braking not the drops. The hidden drop would be so much better with eddy current braking and a nice smooth stop. I also miss it being completely hidden by the original green laser.

• Richard changed the title to Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster refurb