Surfrider Annual Maintenance

Slick

6 minutes ago, ash.1111 said:

I wonder if... Sea World... will get a new ride? Do you think it'd be worth moving it for what you gain?

I would say yes, because Sea World has close to nothing and desperately needs something. But I don't know if VRTP would actually do that when it could be more profitable just building a new ride next year.

Yeah. I'm surprised they haven't said 'closed for winter' or something like that, but it usually goes down around that time and stays shuttered for months.

Stupid when you think about it really - as one of the few dry attractions people would be willing to ride in the middle of winter...

Could it be closed as a cost cutting measure throughout the water parks ' quietest time of the year? Assuming here that rollercoasters use a heck of a lot more power than slide and pool pumps.  

That said, if it is the case, I don't understand either why it doesn't state that (ie. 'seasonal attraction') either in a similar manner to what Calypso Beach does. 

I just think there isn't as much as a demand for the ride, so they don't have it open. I drove past on the weekend at about 1 o'clock, and there was probably only about 100 -200 cars that I could see in the car park

What's the point in having a ride open that doesn't have enough demand for it?

It suits Sea World better, but I think it would be a bit of a waste of effort to move it to Sea World now. The ride is old enough that a new location probably isn't going to reintroduce a lot of interest (some, probably not a lot).

Plus, Sea World obviously has plans for at least one new ride in the next 2 years or so, and I would certainly hope that they have plans for more. I think the key to boosting Sea World at this point is new things. New exhibits, new rides, new attractions. It's starting to get a bit empty, so they need something to boost that image a little, and get their name out in the advertising sphere.

I'm not sure what the costs involved with moving a ride from park to park would be like, but I'm sure it's not an investment that should be taken lightly. That is money that VRTP could be using for new and exciting things at Sea World.

I agree with the posts above, my suspicion is just seasonal closure, probably also taken as an opportunity for extensive maintenance.

I know that Cedar Fair spent $350,000 USD to remove Their boomerang from Knotts. (It was taken apart price by price to be relocated) So if you add Australia's higher wages and then the coaster to get it trucked to the park and then reinstalled. I would say it's not worth it when the park could put that money to a new ride. 

Just went past the park, and there is a giant crane positioned right next to the Surfrider, I couldn't see it lifting anything, and the ride is still in one piece. But maybe this is the end of the ride, or it's just there to lift off the surfboard so maintnece can be conducted. Or something else.

Doesn't make much sense to me.  The water park space is starting to get rather congested in this country, every council pool with a tippin bucket is calling itself a water park now, and there must be about 4 or 5 actual water park developments in the pipeline.  Surfrider is one of the things that sets WnW apart, why you would want to take away a unique feature that no other water park can match, and condeming the park to be a fairly decent collection of very old slides totally escapes me.

Why give it to SW?  Move something thats a unique point of difference at one park to being filler at another?  Seems to me if you want to give SW some filler a new flat ride might be a better place to start, and probably wouldn't be much more expensive either.

6 minutes ago, AlexB said:

^but as Joz said, a new flat ride might be a better place to start, and wouldn't be much more expensive than moving Surfrider.

True. I don't really care what they put there, but I really hope we don't have to wait til 2019 to get something into the park......UNLESS it's a giant coaster covering the pirate ship, viper and water park land. Then I'll wait til 2019 :P

@themagician - confirmed by anyone reputable or just another assumption being presented as fact by a poster on these forums? 

Edited by Reanimated35