Dreamworld reviewing its master plan.

Translinks statement was a roundabout way of saying the 709 is undeeded now (The route that solely exists to shuttle between Helensvale and GCHU)

I think the changes are a net positive, just because the wait times between services would be less, and it's better for tourists since they don't really have to check a timetable whilst in holiday mode.

If a full time gate was built where Blue Lagoon is that's a 1.3km walk from the station, which is probably fine for most people, (You do a similar walk from the station to Chessington work of Adventures) but possibily unpalatable for families with small kids, or staff members leaving after dark.

In any case, a route via DWs front door would probably always exist in some form, because the Old Pacific Highway corridor needs a bus anyway, and such a route is logically always going to run from Coomera to Helensvale.

PS, that coomera highrise is laughable...There are only two reasons to live in a highrise....to be near to the heart of the action, and if there is a nice view. That site has neither.

@pushbutton You will be sad to know  Lot 102 & Lot 16  (Lot 102 which was DW land) is part of the new Coomera Town Plan now and I haven't been over it with a fine tooth comb but I believe these two lot "Precinct" has a height limit of what is proposed to be built next to WWW.

DW.thumb.JPG.303983cbf945bd2b49362cae75db2cd0.JPG.1d8dc9150fdfbe6a99b65cccba282a80.JPG

@GazzaThank you for the information.  I'm not convinced the idea to recreate a Robina at Coomera will work.  When I picture it I get flashes of a high rise ghetto.

Ardent Leisure mulling Gold Coast’s Dreamworld site boost to turn it into Disneyland

Ryan Keen, Gold Coast Bulletin
an hour ago

OWNERS of icon Gold Coast theme park Dreamworld want to super-size the site with accommodation and entertainment to turn it into Australia’s Disneyland.

Dreamworld parent company Ardent Leisure sent shockwaves through the city yesterday with a statement to the stock exchange appearing to suggest Dreamworld’s footprint was under threat.

But Ardent CEO Deborah Thomas later clarified to the Gold Coast Bulletin any redevelopment would be on unused land and enhance Dreamworld, not detract from it.

“We aren’t selling or closing Dreamworld,” she said, adding Ardent would invest to create a “more attractive and entertaining theme park”.

“We are considering opportunities external but complementary to the park that could include retail, hospitality, accommodation and entertainment precincts, similar to Universal Studios and Disneyland in the US.

“There is 25 hectares of land at Dreamworld that is not being used.

“We are exploring options to develop that unused land, while continuing to invest in a world-class theme park.”

The Ardent site is 60ha with Dreamworld and WhiteWater World across 35ha.

Ms Thomas said some areas would not be suitable for development and remain as open green space.

The site review would take anywhere from a few months to a year and was about understanding council’s and the Government’s strategic plan for the area and working with them, she said.

The revelation of Dreamworld site’s potential expansion was warmly welcomed by Gold Coast leaders and comes seven months after a river ride malfunction killed four people in the darkest day for Australian theme parks in 30 years.

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate said the potential expansion was exciting news for the city.

“I’m sure this will result in the theme park evolving to the next level,’ Cr Tate said.

Northern Coast councillor Cameron Caldwell said Ardent Leisure controlled a significant site in the city’s north.

“A lot of it is undeveloped and the council would consider any development opportunities proposed.”

Ardent’s earlier statement to the Australian Stock Exchange said a review of its Master Plan for Dreamworld’s site would consider the impact of “recent events” in reference to the tragedy and feasibility of rezoning parts for alternate use.

It prompted Dreamworld CEO Craig Davidson to clarify Ardent’s priority was the “recovery of Dreamworld” and Tourism Minister Kate Jones to make a statement in Parliament saying she could confirm the park was “here to stay” and committed to the “long term”.

Won't post the whole article as it's yet another Dreamworld disaster rehash article (enough Already). 

But an interesting comment from the family/spokeswoman for the Dorset Family

Ms Brookfield said her friend’s fierce wish was for Dreamworld to be rebranded, to be a landmark and an attraction, without rides.

“Kim has told me she would love the theme park to become a zoo, it would be a fitting tribute to those lost,” she said.

Whilst I totally understand grief, it has clearly clouded her judgment of the financial implications of the suggestion.  In an early quote she said she knew livelihoods were at stake so didn't want the park to shut down. Those 2 ideas don't go hand in hand. Retro-fitting a theme park into a zoo, apart from basically being impossible, would require almost a complete levelling of the site and re-development, which would cost hundreds of millions of dollars

You don't create a Disneyland by building accomodation/retail/entertainment options next to a lacklustre theme park. You significantly invest in that theme park with incredible rides, attractions and beautiful theming to take it to the next level, and only then consider complimentary facilities next door. And you certainly don't eat into all of the land that could otherwise be used for actual theme park expansion.

@Gazza I have just attached some of the future transport plans from the Master Coomera plan.

You can read them so I'm not going to note them up.  Future new road to run behind DW from Beattie Road to Foxwell Rd.

I read it as the current service road in front of DW will become a secondary road (mainly to access DW).  The main traffic flow will be diverted from the front of DW to the back of DW.

Eventually the buses will take this route that run behind DW.  The buses also have a local route planned which connects to the side gate.

The issue I have with this is it’s all designed on the assumption that DW will build a side gate.

1.thumb.JPG.8b3ab0d4e7c7f2796880834dbca83980.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.194d111f45eb30ca51733f8198d67376.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.6fa5c49041eedf8e16f31db3a6ab2af7.JPG

Edited by Skeeta

1 hour ago, GoGoBoy said:

You don't create a Disneyland by building accomodation/retail/entertainment options next to a lacklustre theme park. You significantly invest in that theme park with incredible rides, attractions and beautiful theming to take it to the next level, and only then consider complimentary facilities next door. And you certainly don't eat into all of the land that could otherwise be used for actual theme park expansion.

Agreed, except that in Dreamworlds case I do think they have enough land to do both.

2 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Won't post the whole article as it's yet another Dreamworld disaster rehash article (enough Already). 

But an interesting comment from the family/spokeswoman for the Dorset Family

Ms Brookfield said her friend’s fierce wish was for Dreamworld to be rebranded, to be a landmark and an attraction, without rides.

“Kim has told me she would love the theme park to become a zoo, it would be a fitting tribute to those lost,” she said.

Whilst I totally understand grief, it has clearly clouded her judgment of the financial implications of the suggestion.  In an early quote she said she knew livelihoods were at stake so didn't want the park to shut down. Those 2 ideas don't go hand in hand. Retro-fitting a theme park into a zoo, apart from basically being impossible, would require almost a complete levelling of the site and re-development, which would cost hundreds of millions of dollars

I get that she probably wants the place shut down so she doesn't have bad memories etc, but how exactly is a zoo a "fitting tribute" those lost? 

It's laughable how Deborah Thomas was able to throw the Disneyland buzzword out there and distract people while saying exactly what yesterday's ASX release said.

It is a transparently obvious attempt at damage control.

I can't work out if this company is naive enough to genuinely think that shops and apartments to cash in on the Westfield development will benefit Dreamworld. I want to say that this zoning review is motivated by pure dollars and cents, but this company's strategic blunders in recent years makes me think they might actually believe themselves when they say Disneyland.

Given that execs from Ardent have recently visited US theme parks, and also considering the statements they've made about moving away from thrill rides to experiences that stay with you, and quality over quantity (and assuming that isn't all entirely spin) I am quite optimistic that they may indeed have great things in mind for the future of Dreamworld.

Time will tell.

I hate to be a pessimist but I have zero faith in Ardent or whatever they're called now. If they truly wanted to make Dreamworld better they'd be adding rides or more theming or shows or whatever to the actual park, not letting it stagnate while planning on filling the outside with flashy nonsense. You can't improve upon something by ignoring it, it's exactly what's happened with the town of gold rush and if they're not smart about it, it's going to end up happening to the whole damn park.

15 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

adding Ardent would invest to create a “more attractive and entertaining theme park”.

well your not currently doing that

We are considering opportunities external but complementary to the park that could include retail, hospitality, accommodation and entertainment precincts, similar to Universal Studios and Disneyland in the US.

we don't need that we need more rides.

There is 25 hectares of land at Dreamworld that is not being used

well here's an idea why not use them like maybe build something exciting on them like maybe a nice new coaster?

We are exploring options to develop that unused land, while continuing to invest in a world-class theme park.”

world class? movieworld is whopping your ass

CEO Craig Davidson to clarify Ardent’s priority was the “recovery of Dreamworld”

well to do that you need to clear out all your old dilapidated rides that aren't running, re zone the area and put some new and exciting rides in them.

Edited by bladex

3 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Given that execs from Ardent have recently visited US theme parks,[snip]

Can you provide a link for this? All I've seen is that they visited the USA.

They could have visited ride manufacturers, entertainment precincts, fast food chains, zoos, or anything else related to the business...

14 minutes ago, Glubbo said:

They could have visited ride manufacturers, entertainment precincts, fast food chains, zoos, or anything else related to the business...

The exact words were...

"Based on a recent USA visit"

29 minutes ago, Glubbo said:

That's what I thought it said in the Gold Coast Bulletin the other day. It'd be very odd if they went to the USA and didn't visit theme parks!