Gumbaya World, the New Kid on the block!

Mark Shaw

A few stills of the important bits.

This is an interesting outcome, and looks like in years to come it will be Adventure Park, OzVenture and Funfields that will end up being the three major parks in greater Melbourne...They are all at the stage of buying fairly large attractions from well known manufacturers.

Luna Park needs to step up bit though. They could be Australia's Grona Lund if they invested in some better rides.

gumbaya 1.jpg

gumbaya2.jpg

gumbaya3.jpg

gumbaya4.jpg

gumbaya5.jpg

Nine News has also done a news story on the Gumbuya World revamp. Looks promising! Very excited.

Here are some screenshots from the video, showing more concept art of attraction entrances, waterslide towers and an overall site plan of the park.

594a431d76fa6_frontentrance.thumb.jpg.6979da426628258d05685ad2706f747c.jpg

Front Entrance Concept Art

594a432ab5d89_zoostuff.thumb.jpg.35b9c036fe67e5dc65e0646169efc042.jpg

Zoo/Animal Area Entrance Sign Concept Art

594a4320baf05_masterplan.thumb.jpg.2f3082305d03e25106d4e0cc2bfe63f1.jpg

Park Plan View. Looks like the waterpark area will include a lazy river and White Water West slide tower. I wonder if that whole waterpark area, zoo and entrance will be ready for Summer this year (December 1st opening)?

594a4324dc064_waterslidetower.thumb.jpg.0384ca426ec3e081f82f39dea4b1c1c7.jpg

594a43277c46d_waterslidetower_2.thumb.jpg.bc662ba1581c1f8b0822bd95ae2845b3.jpg

2 x White Water West 4-person tube slides confirmed. One will be a Bomerango slide, the other a Constrictor/Rattler hybrid. Looks to be a fantastic slide tower.

Edited by Luke

Nice to see the inclusion of a raft escalator for these slides on the drafting plans. Makes re-riding alot more appealing if you don't have to drag rafts up dozens of stairs.

The slides themselves look great too. Something slightly different to whats available to experience at other parks. 

Edited by yaark

Great news on this-its fantastic to see a new major player rise in the market!! The plans look good and if it has @Mark Shaw involvement, even at a limited capacity, then you can be assure of quality!! Victoria is shaping up to become a good destination for visiting medium parks that are expanding at a good rate!

@Gazza is completely correct RE Luna Park. It needs a similar investment , and given its history and location, has the potential to be a world class historical fun park. Gazza mentioned Grona Lund but I would liken LPM's appeal as being similar to Dreamland , Margate. Lindsay Fox you are on extreme notice!

15 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, but really getting sick of the media taking every park proposal \ expansion and turning it around to say <locality> answer to Disneyland!

I silently scream at them. FML.

It makes me cringe and makes us look like a joke. 

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned it yet, but really getting sick of the media taking every park proposal \ expansion and turning it around to say <locality> answer to Disneyland!

I silently scream at them. FML.

Is it the media saying it or is it the parks?

"A $50 million redevelopment of a wildlife park known for its daggy ads, kangaroos and paddle boats will make it the "Disneyland of Victoria", its backers say"

I think a lot of it is media twist. I didn't read too much detail, but when Ardent was talking the 'citywalk' type of precinct, they did reference the downtown disney \ universal citywalk as their aspiration\inspiration - i think the media then twisted that to say 'dreamworld to be Australia's disneyland'.

28 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I think a lot of it is media twist. I didn't read too much detail, but when Ardent was talking the 'citywalk' type of precinct, they did reference the downtown disney \ universal citywalk as their aspiration\inspiration - i think the media then twisted that to say 'dreamworld to be Australia's disneyland'.

The media twisting and elaborating is a given but the parks do like to feed them.

“We are considering opportunities external but complementary to the park that could include retail, hospitality, accommodation and entertainment precincts, similar to Universal Studios and Disneyland in the US”.

Deborah Thomas was quoted as saying “similar to” which are stronger words then saying aspiration\inspiration but I’m not here to pick words apart and agree with what you are saying.

Edited by Skeeta

• 5 months later...

The park is having its Grand Opening on 18th DECEMBER 2017.

The park has four worlds:

Oasis Springs - Australia's newest water theme park is bursting with splashtastic fun.

The Boomerango: say goodbye to gravity as this slide shoots you up a near-vertical wall

The Taipan: Enjoy the thrills on our over 180 metre dark slide experience

The Lazy River: soak in the sun on a 300 metre peaceful cruise

Typhoon Island: Interactive Jungle gym with giant water bucket

Oz Adventure - There’s a world of fun under the gums when you spin out on these rides.

Mining Race Coaster: our fun-for-all roller coaster

Rush Hour: strap in and get spun around and around

Tree Swings: hold on tight at this high-speed carousel swoops you off the ground
Coming January 2018

Outback Explorers - Our amusement park for smaller explorers!

Berry Twirl: our super-sweet spin is everyone’s favourite ride

Take a swing on the Outback Pirates ship

Have a bumping ride on the Desert Derby dodgem cars

Join the truck convoy to Gerry’s Roadhouse

Wildlife Trail - Feathered, furred or fanged, there are dozens of amazing animals to meet!

Adorable koalas and dingoes

Have close encounters in our Walkthrough Aviary and Wallaby trail

Get as close as you dare to incredible insects, lizards and baby crocodiles in the Critter Cave

Take part in animal feeding and great photo opportunities

Tickets are $49 for adults and $43 for kids and seniors

And the park is open every day (except Christmas) from 10am to 6pm

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Noxegon said:

Not a local, but I'm planning to be there in a few weeks and I'm dragging one of your Parkz admins there with me.

Another Aussie trip Richard? Are you bringing Megan again?

It's hard to say which diary \ blog \ trip report I like best, but I love reading yours and megan's adventures.

I assume DC Rivals is on the agenda?

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Another Aussie trip Richard?

No, Gumbuya World is moving to Dublin just for him.   PMSL.  (sorry but you made me laugh)

Hello, Qantas Airlines?” said Richard B. “Could ye be tellin’ me how long it takes to fly from Dublin to Sydney?” The voice on the telephone said “I’ll see sir, just a minute.” “Ahh, ’tis fast. Thank ye,” Richard said as he hung up.

@Noxegon  what parks are you doing in Oz?

20 hours ago, AlexB said:

Another Aussie trip Richard? Are you bringing Megan again?

It's hard to say which diary \ blog \ trip report I like best, but I love reading yours and megan's adventures.

I assume DC Rivals is on the agenda?

Yes, we're travelling together for a week. I have to be in Singapore on business immediately afterwards, and Australia isn't all that much further!

The plan is to visit all the coaster parks except Perth – as well as two fairs and the Qantas museum in Longreach.