Why you're going to want to ride Movie World's new roller coaster this year

Nothing tops a hypercoaster. Nothing

N o t h i n g ?

I mean, just because it's a hypercoaster doesn't mean it's going to be good.

I know it's a minor thing, this was a good article, and something I recommend @pushbutton reads as well as anyone else who isn't convinced this will be something that needs to be ridden over and over again.

1 hour ago, Santa07 said:

N o t h i n g ?

I mean, just because it's a hypercoaster doesn't mean it's going to be good.

I know it's a minor thing, this was a good article, and something I recommend @pushbutton reads as well as anyone else who isn't convinced this will be something that needs to be ridden over and over again.

Thanks for the thought. I have read it. As I said I will most likely give it a shot. Who knows, maybe once I have tried it I'll want to go on it again and again!

It's just that I'm not really a huge fan of thrill rides.

Already hyped for this ride as it is, but I won't be able to ride it until January 2018 at the earliest, or schoolies 2018 at the latest. Can't wait to experience what could be quite possibly a ride that eclipses Superman as the best coaster in Australia.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

I get the love for it, but let's be honest - Superman Escape holds the spot it does not just because it goes high, or fast. Any accelerator in the world does that, and yet, our little superman consistently ranks as one of, if not the best of its kind in the world, because its not just about the track design, but also the on-ride experience - the "pre-show" elements of the coaster are what lift it above the level of 'just another accelerator'.

I have no doubt this coaster is going to be epic. You can tell just by looking at the site, and the height we know it will reach... but this is unhatched chicken counting at its best. Yes, everything we know tells us its going to be great - but we have seen examples of coasters anticipated to hell and back prior to opening that turned out to be a bucket of shit - MDMC is a great example locally, and there are many others the world over.

Yes, it's a hyper. Yes, it's our first. So was MDMC - i'm sure it won't turn out to be the white elephant MDMC is, i'm sure it'll be fantastic. But i'm looking to MW to put a little more into this than they did GL - to truly do the experience justice. Otherwise - it'll be 'just another hyper'

I have faith that MW and Mack will deliver - but until we strap in for that first ride, and come out the other side, I don't think we can just write Superman out of the history books. For 12 years it has stood unchallenged as the best in the country - let's not bury the old girl yet.

Edited by AlexB

I suspect the theming will be lacklustre on this new one.

All the best themed rides, that I've been on, are pretty much enclosed at that start - Superman Escape, Scooby, Storm, TOT2 (not great but better than most other DW).  There's obviously exceptions to this....

So unless they are planning on building a big shed around the station I just can't see how they'd pull off really good out door themeing without spending big $$ to transform the local environment.

The sheer magnitude of this ride is what sells it to the GP - even those who will never ride and happily watch others are bound to get a kick out of it. As much as I love having a great 'Show' and Theme, I am willing to accept this time around it will only extend about as far as snazzy looking trains and a hot pink track. 

59 minutes ago, mission said:

So unless they are planning on building a big shed around the station I just can't see how they'd pull off really good out door themeing without spending big $$ to transform the local environment.

We still have a few months for them to do something with the area. I don't think it would take megabucks to add some shine to the area - and we've already seen piles of earth being built up around certain elements. I doubt the earthmoving was needed to install track when the track is a fair way off the ground, and the footers already sit higher than the surrounding ground... we've also seen some rock go in (which is most likely drainage, or preventing the machinery from slipping on wet ground), but i'm hoping MW is going to give us more than just a grassy paddock.

29 minutes ago, MickeyD said:

The sheer magnitude of this ride is what sells it to the GP - even those who will never ride and happily watch others are bound to get a kick out of it. As much as I love having a great 'Show' and Theme, I am willing to accept this time around it will only extend about as far as snazzy looking trains and a hot pink coloured track.

I know most of the budget has gone on the ride, and I would totally prefer it that way - but i do hope after their shining example in the Villains Unleashed area, that they will do more than just a snazzy train. If it's better than Green Lantern, i'll be happy (not saying GL isn't good, just saying i'd like better than that), but i'd like to see a bit more than that.

Even if you aren't going to ride it, it's going to be great to watch, and with it being right at the front of the park, everyone will notice it, and if they like coasters, they will want to ride it. Even when in the park, despite most being hidden, yesterday when I was there, when you walk straight into the park, and look left, you can see it, even though they've only installed the first parts of the lift hill. The majority, if any of us, don't know the budget. I tried looking for the cost of The Flash in Lewa park, but couldn't find it, anyone know what it cost? Also found that that coasters track was completed in mid August, trains arrived shortly after, and opened NYD (To give an idea of how much testing was done). From the plans of the station we've seen, it does appear there will be a straight bit of track (for potential theming, something on the level of Storm Coaster as a build up to the lift hill). The queue area I think will be where we will see the majority of theming, and I'm sure it will be good as this is MW, but to what level they take this theming and how will intergrated it, we will have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

So was MDMC - i'm sure it won't turn out to be the white elephant MDMC is

For what it's worth we were calling Motocoaster for what it was well before it opened too. No doubts in my mind where this new ride will sit in Australia and where it deserves to sit on the world scale. No one could ever claim that I've ever gone easy on our parks or lowered the bar because it's Australia.

I'd take this hyper over everything on that list @Santa07, with the possible exception of the RMCs.

@rac2703 simple... because magic and now, not magic and whenever-you-get-around-to-it.

Yeah, this was an unashamed puff piece. The working title was "putting the hype in hypercoaster". If VRTP can't or won't do a hype/teaser campaign then we might as well fill that void. But I'm pretty confident that the tone of this article will be vindicated once reviews start rolling in for this thing...

I take your point, but "we" were also calling it 'fun' and 'fast' - and it is neither.

On 25/08/2007 at 5:36 PM, Richard said:

The emphasis here is on speed, not forces.

On 06/07/2007 at 10:55 AM, Richard said:

Think fun, not intense.

I'm not saying the hyper doesn't deserve the 'hype'(r) - i'm just saying let's not make it out to be sliced bread worthy until we've actually taken a spin.

Motocoaster is painful and dreadfully paced but you can't deny it's a fun ride that offers a good sensation of speed for the first half or so. Like I said back then in those 2007 posts, it slots in below Cyclone...

rankings.thumb.jpg.74dc09d97513c3376b67e05394253ece.jpg

Yeah I get your point. We're counting our chickens / slicing bread / mixing metaphors before they hatch. But also... it's all true. It will be all these things. Quote me on it... in 2027... :P 

I have no desire to ride MDMC ever again. It was uncomfortable at best, painful at worst. the only sensation of speed I got is on the actual launch. By the end of the first curve, I felt like I was coasting down a supermarket aisle on the back of a shopping trolley (with the stereotypical wobbly wheel and all).

You were right - it isn't intense, and you certainly nailed it's placement below Cyclone at the time, but I can't agree with it being either fast or fun. I concede though that that's a matter for personal opinion so I don't expect everyone \ anyone to agree with me.

For me, I would rank it below a kiddie coaster - so much so that I had more disappointment last weekend when I realised the Spongebob coaster would be closed when I took my Niece and Nephew to Sea World for the day - because I at least was looking forward to riding that. (I'm no credit whore, I don't ride things (especially stupid things) just for the credit.

It has nothing to do with the poor target of their marketing - i'm not downcasting it because it was incorrectly marketed as a thrill (although they did, and that was shitty too). I'm doing so because I see it as a hamstrung coaster, relying only on its motorbike gimmick, removing any possible wow factor by modifying the track so that it more appropriately suited a 'flat' race track, yet they stuck it in the middle of the bushland setting that was rivertown, and made it bright yellow. Its a frankenstein's monster that should never have occurred, and Jet Rescue only serves to demonstrate the many things they got wrong with MDMC.

No mixed metaphors from me - as i've plainly said, I have every faith that this hyper will be the best thing since sliced bread, but i still disagree with awarding it first place until we've actually been on it - especially since many people's opinions on what make great - errr GREAT, vary wildly.

The only thing about the hyper construction that will be worthy of re-raising in 10 years time will be the pathetically poor marketing effort we've seen from VRTP. :D

3 minutes ago, AlexB said:

It has nothing to do with the poor target of their marketing - i'm not downcasting it because it was incorrectly marketed as a thrill (although they did, and that was shitty too).

DW themselves say its not a thrill ride, as they class it as a moderate intensity ride, despite being a part of their Big 9 Thrill Rides.

As you say, it isn't this reason for why it isn't an enjoyable ride. For me, the main issue is comfort. I've never been on a more uncomfortable ride. The idea of riding like your on a motorbike is good, but poorly executed, extra padding may sort the issue out, but I've seen plenty of rides, which have a 'motorbike' train and your legs don't lean against anything. The leaning forward position isn't uncomfortable for me, it's purely where you put your legs and having them pushed against the plastic. Exposing the leg area would solve this issue dramatically. As for the rest of the ride, the only way it could be resolved is through complexity redoing the track, and I doubt that is an option right now.

Really, really, really want to ride this thing...

On 5/30/2017 at 10:19 AM, themagician said:

I tried looking for the cost of The Flash in Lewa park, but couldn't find it, anyone know what it cost?

Oh...  I know this one... More than anything else they have ever built but less than all the money they have...  Had...

The trackwork isn't complete yet, but there's already many reasons why I would love to ride Movie World's new hyper - if I had the money :P

The drop, if the NL2 animation is accurate enough, should be one of the highlights of the coaster. It is steep and twisted, which should provide an amazing mix of airtime and snappy laterals similar to Expedition GeForce's first drop! Hopefully the trains will be long enough to make the most out of that drop.

Snappy transitions seem numerous on this hyper, and with the very comfy and not burdening Mack restraints, I'm sure they'll be exciting to experience on-ride.

Hopefully, the layout will contain more pops of airtime. While the ejector air I've felt on Mack coasters (Alpina/Helix) isn't the strongest, it's still good fun! A big sustained airtime hump would really be a big selling point.

And finally, this coaster just looks really pretty! Vibrant colours, sweet curves and a gorgeous background, it is very picturesque and makes me want to ride the coaster even more.

Overall, this is shaping to be a very solid attraction. I can tell it will be very reridable and memorable :D