DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

Just wondering if TOT is considered a roller coaster,  would that not make it a Giga coaster?

IMO I think this new coaster will be Australia's highest coaster as TOT barely climbs half the 377ft tower.  And this Hyper coaster will climb the whole coaster structure.    IE it should be measured on how high the train climbs not the height of the structure itself.   

18 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Just wondering if TOT is considered a roller coaster,  would that not make it a Giga coaster?

IMO I think this new coaster will be Australia's highest coaster as TOT barely climbs half the 377ft tower.  And this Hyper coaster will climb the whole coaster structure.    IE it should be measured on how high the train climbs not the height of the structure itself.   

Actually, it climbs up 320 ft. Tower of Terror will be higher than the movieworld coaster. 

22 minutes ago, wileecoyote said:

Actually, it climbs up 320 ft. Tower of Terror will be higher than the movieworld coaster. 

Seen here it hardly makes it to the "OF" in "tower of terror"  

It may have climbed higher in its early days but these days I recon it only just makes 200ft

Maybe MW should stick a 200 foot pole on top of their new coaster and claim it to be Australia's tallest coaster.

10 hours ago, Inverted said:

It may have climbed higher in its early days but these days I recon it only just makes 200ft.

I remember riding it, being in the front row, and the brakes at the top disappearing from view under the front of the ride carriage...  I think on one occasion we actually nudged them...  So yes...  It did go a lot higher in earlier days...
tower-of-terror-02.jpg

Credit to http://www.rollercoasterking.com/article/tower-of-terror-2/

6 minutes ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

I remember riding it, being in the front row, and the brakes at the top disappearing from view under the front of the ride carriage...  I think on one occasion we actually nudged them...  So yes...  It did go a lot higher in earlier days...

Is there an explanation on why it doesnt go as high anymore?

Maybe it needs a lot more energy, that in turn costs a lot more, and the public probably wouldn't notice the difference, so I assume Dreamworld is saving itself a lot of money.

I do think a roller coaster should be judged by the height the car reaches, because otherwise tower of terror could literally go ten feet up the track and back down and still be classified a giga, because the track is 300+ feet.

Edited by Intimidator305.

58 minutes ago, red dragin said:

Prior to the new car, it didn't go much higher though. 

As you can see in the picture above, it clearly did. If you refer to the "Tower of Terror" sign running down the side of the tower, the new car tends to stop rising around the "F".

In the photo posted by @MaxxTheMonster of the original, the front of the car is reaching the "E", maybe even the "W". That's a fairly significant difference.

This isn't a topic of when did it stop going higher, it's a matter of why doesn't it go higher now. 

Youll note Magic Mountains ride was also falling short. Investments were made to rejuvenate the ride to get it running at its peak (think of an old car needing upgrades). 

But speeding up the ride for DW is not an option as mentioned above. 

Also let me tell you turning the car around and running it backwards will give you a far greater ROI than saying 'hey it's going a bit higher again now'

Cause outside of this little group hardly anyone would care. 

On 08/02/2017 at 9:01 PM, Smeg said:

...7 days till the announcement 

On 10/02/2017 at 9:15 AM, Smeg said:

5 days till announcement 

22 hours ago, Cactus_Matt said:

...what if the announcement is 'delayed' (as some are assuming) and as perhaps evidenced by the pre-announcement announcement the other day...

It's already been delayed once @Cactus_Matt so technically, it is still delayed (by 6 months at that too) & what 'pre-announcement announcement'? With @Smeg's announcement countdown too, did I miss something?

21 hours ago, Inverted said:

Giga coasters have to be full-circuit.

What's the advantage of leaving the washers or nuts on?

May as well be ready for install. 

None of these things are strange if you're familiar with this kind of construction. Same as painting the bolts. You wouldn't paint a thread before you secure the nuts. You're just going to take the paint off and also cause more grief when placing the nuts. 

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic