DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

7 hours ago, UpperCoomera said:

The argument is moot though, no one wants a wooden coaster (waits for condemnation and the tsk tsks).

After looking at coasters like The Voyage, Wildfire and Outlaw Run I can totally see why no one wants a wooden coaster, let's just throw a nice steel coaster like a Boomerang in instead of something like one of those.

12 hours ago, UpperCoomera said:

In 2008 bushfires nearly completely destroyed the entire area I live in approx 15km from MovieWorld/Oxenford, not far from the M1 either, so yes, considering half of the area is still bush, then fires are a very real threat.

The argument is moot though, no one wants a wooden coaster (waits for condemnation and the tsk tsks).

Exciting times for MW

15km is about the distance from Brisbane CBD to Mt Gravatt. Do you think if there was a fire at Mt Gravatt people in the CBD would be worried that it was going to be a threat for them? (assume the fire has something to burn all the way to the city). Firefighters are always quickly alerted to things like these and a small bushfire can be put out very quickly before it has time to spread anywhere.

Lot's of wooden coasters are built near bushland or trees in other countries. Wonderland had 2 wooden coasters. It can be done.

But seriously though RCDB a reliable source has stated its a sit-down steel coaster, why are we still debating if it might be wood and why we wouldn't or wouldn't like/be able to have one. 

I was going to do up a nearmap image just to show the absurdity of 'bushfire' risk to the park - but its really not worth the effort. Anyone can look at google earth images showing what surrounds the park.

Residential to the north and south, a 70+ metre firebreak to the east known as the M1, and hilly pockets of bushland divided by even more residential properties to the west.

The only major bushfire risk comes from the south west, where a strip of bush approximately 120m wide leads up to Paradise Country. It would be incredibly unlikely, and require a veritable freak of nature for the fire to make its way up that strip of bushland requiring the right winds, and weather, changing at just the right time in order to get that far.

Given the new eco-tourism installations in that area, VR is unlikely to let fire get that far, let alone over the hill, through the studios, WWF and half the park before it reached the coasters at the front of the park.

Considering fire services deal with bushfires that have fronts stretching KILOMETRES, 120 metres isn't even worth firing up water bombers.

I'm all for postulating possible risk situations where there is a likely hazard, but come on people - seriously.

Edited by AlexB

Yep you are all correct. What's a bushfire in the great scheme of things eh?

My statement was just in response to the 1st instance of the bushfires being brought up. Not about the dangers of building a wooden coaster.

The bushfire that ravaged our area started in a small valley almost 9km away from us. The fire front moved at more than 70km/hour and jumped roads and fire clearways.

So, yes, a bushfire CAN be a threat no matter where you live, though so can lightning, flooding, meteors and UFOs falling out of the sky. The point was a bushfire can completely wipe out km² in minutes, no matter the terrain/structures.

'Firebreaks' like the M1 are moot as only one small ember flying through the air can start a fire on the other side quite easily, hence discarded cigarette butts (an ember with its own handy filter) have historically started devastating fires.

Like a contributor stated, this issue would not likely affect the installation of a wooden coaster though, due to preventative measures, etc. 

My statement wasn't meant to cause a meltdown (excuse the pun) just to state facts concerning bushfires, not specifically in relation to any structure at MW or elsewhere.

Whooo. Now back to 2017 for MW. I love all the speculation from everyone, it keeps us all guessing, hoping, groaning and feeling excited for what's to come in the next few months/years. VRTP is really picking up their already awesome game and investing heavily in our fun and escapism. Can't wait to see what the new coaster is!

Thanks for letting me say my piece everyone. Here's to a new coaster in 2017!!!

Edited by UpperCoomera
spelling

Bushfire overlay for MW.

fIRE.PNG

To keep it simple the swamp shown shaded has a very low bushfire attached to it.  For a very low bushfire zone you only need to maintain the ground to combat this by reducing undergrowth.  The only other area within MW in a bushfire zone is going up the hill at the rear.  The existing footprint of MW is not in a bushfire zone.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

Firebreaks aren't 'moot'.

Yes, embers can fly over breaks... but they need the right conditions to reflare. Open, lush green lawns aren't likely candidates. I lived through the January 1994 fires in Sydney on rural acreage. Our property was used to park AVgas tankers for the helicopter water bombers. We did 12 hour shifts around the clock on spotfire watch. The Rural Fire station was at the end of our street and everyone in the community was a member.

As you can see from Skeet's image - that section of the park is highly unlikely to have any sort of issue. The swamp shading is probably only shaded because it identifies as a rather large tract of bush. I'm sure that given the swamp itself, little of that area would actually be prone to fire as it would likely stay quite wet, and there's little around it to dry it out. That said - that risk factor may need to be updated after construction as some of that is likely to be cleared from what i've seen on Parkz.

Your statement that a bushfire can be a threat no matter where you live is also incorrect. I'm sure those living in highrise apartments in CBD areas would disagree with you.

Just remember @AlexB The building code doesn't care if you burn down your Neighbour’s house.   The building code just makes sure you neighbour has enough time to get out of the house before it burns to the ground.

I went to MW world early to try and sketch up the peg layout but somebody is having a laugh. 

Pegs.PNG

ENOUGH with the Bushfires. I will delete any further posts on this idiotic topic on whether we can have a wooden coaster or not because bushfires. 

If there is another post about it I'll also delete every post so far about it. 

1 hour ago, YLFATEEKS said:

So sad but happy at the same time,  that looks like a great climbing tree.

given they didn't do some GLP and woodchip, i'd say they're planning to relocate it somewhere - so not sad... the tree looks like it will live on, and its making way for our B&M fire-eye sensing Hyper Woodie.

1 hour ago, djrappa said:

ENOUGH with the Bushfires. I will delete any further posts on this idiotic topic on whether we can have a wooden coaster or not because bushfires. 

If there is another post about it I'll also delete every post so far about it. 

Thank you djrappa! I'm almost tempted to talk about BUSHFIRES so that you will actually carry out that threat. Seriously, I hate it when these forums get sidetracked with some petty argument. I click on a thread seeing something new has been posted only to have my life wasted.

Judging by the information that has been released so far and what appears to be going on at the site, we could be about to get the ride that we've all been hoping to see for a very, very long time. I'm just wondering if everyone is aware of the magnitude of this?

35 minutes ago, GoGoBoy said:

Judging by the information that has been released so far and what appears to be going on at the site, we could be about to get the ride that we've all been hoping to see for a very, very long time. I'm just wondering if everyone is aware of the magnitude of this?

We're getting what now?! How did no one else know about this before now?!

Edited by reanimated35

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked and unlocked this topic
  • joz locked this topic