DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

15 hours ago, Ryande16 said:

Looks like a Helix for sure

I think a helix turns more than 180 degrees whilst moving either up or down & whilst there might be some helices in the rollercoaster, so far I can't see any - only banked corners.

6 hours ago, AlexB said:

The one closest the road is likely to be an angled support to take the high forces applied to it, kinda like this:

2-steel-dragon.png

I was thinking that as a possibility but thought there would have to be more footings nearby before that could be confirmed. All the current footings seem too far away. We'll just have to wait & see.

The rest of what you said I agree with - I thought too that the one closest to the road could be some sort of sign if it ends up being clearly separate from the rollercoaster footings.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

52 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

I think a helix turns more than 180 degrees whilst moving either up or down & whilst there might be some helices in the rollercoaster, so far I can't see any - only banked corners.

I was thinking that as a possibility but thought there would have to be more footings nearby before that could be confirmed. All the current footings seem too far away. We'll just have to wait & see.

Traditionally, what you say is true - you'd want to see more footings around, but not so much any more. Many high speed elements - such as an overbanked curve, have a single footing providing multiple supports to different parts of the element:

Junker - finland.pngMonster - Iowa.png

According to nearmap, the distance between the centre of that slab, and the next nearest marking for a footer is only about 9.5 metres...(and bear in mind as we've seen, these large slabs are usually host to several support frames)... not entirely unheard of... for example the superman top hat has three supports - and the shortest distance between either of those 3 is about 8.4m.

In the below image you can see the superman measurement, along with the two 'possible footings' on the construction site, and then (bottom left) you can see how the track might move (in blue) through that location (possibly overbanked turn, diving back into the curve identified previously), and in red the possible arrangement of footers for that location.

MW coaster footing analysis.png

Edited by AlexB

This is that footing nearest the road... definitely part of the ride: http://www.parkz.com.au/photo/12256-2017_roller_coaster_construction/gallery/sort/newest/location/ride-2445/offset/19

While I think a lot of this micro-analysis of individual footing locations etc. might end up on the money, beyond a pretty general idea of track direction I think a lot of this is clutching at straws. It's connect-the-dots with maybe half the dots and a line that can do just about whatever it wants between the dots.

At this point I'm not sure what is more impressive: that we've generated 38 pages of discussion about this without knowing the ride type, or that after 38 pages anyone that does know has kept their mouth shut.

^That's just it though @Richard - the fact that we DONT know the ride type is what has generated so much discussion.

***Of course - when you've got several pages worth of almost identical pictures - that'll tend to pad the topic a bit!!!

Out of interest - is there a quick way to tell how many pictures have been posted to this thread? Are any of them making it into the database?

7 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

Keep in mind these days coaster manufactures have been trying to use as little supports as possible. Take Valravn for example. Look how far away each support is.

Far away on track tim, but gathered very close together on the ground - many footers connecting to a single point on the track. The ground is covered in them.

...and since we only have the ground to look at at present, that tells us nothing.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Out of interest - is there a quick way to tell how many pictures have been posted to this thread? Are any of them making it into the database?

No easy way of telling but a quick SQL query tells me there's currently 185 attachments here. A handful have made it into the database but of course there's only so many photos of dirt or footings we need.

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

Traditionally, what you say is true - you'd want to see more footings around, but not so much any more. Many high speed elements - such as an overbanked curve, have a single footing providing multiple supports to different parts of the element.

True @AlexB hence I why I think we all should "wait & see". Though, like I said, more footings would give us more confirmation on the rollercoaster's track layout. Interesting to see that comparison to SE too. It makes more sense with the scale on the NearMap satellite image.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

While I think a lot of this micro-analysis of individual footing locations etc. might end up on the money, beyond a pretty general idea of track direction I think a lot of this is clutching at straws. It's connect-the-dots with maybe half the dots and a line that can do just about whatever it wants between the dots.

I agree - that's why on the satellite image I drew on, I only put 3 banked corners - the rest could literally be anything.

52 minutes ago, Ryande16 said:

well do they??

May wanna lose the whiny "why has no one answered my silly question so I'm gonna re-post it again just to annoy everyone" act. 

Working hours depend on many things including but not limited to, council approvals/restrictions as part of the DA, the operating structure of the company in charge of the build, individual contractor contracts, needs of the business (MW), construction timelines, weather... 

My guess would be that you'd probably see something happening on a Saturday but unlikely a Sunday, but that's a guess, and is no more accurate than a guess you could have made yourself..

Honestly, please stop being impatient. Be thankful you've been given so much and take a look at what updates we're getting in other threads - Fright Nights, the lego store, everything. Those taking photos, TPG, Ninja, themagician, Janine, and everyone else I'm forgetting, they've all been hard at work trying to update us on everything happening at the parks so please stop bugging everyone about something where there's probably nothing new since the last photos. Stop acting like a kid and if you're so impatient go take some photos yourself (and don't post them here because I'm pretty sure there'd be nothing different from what we've seen).

4 minutes ago, Smeg said:

Sorry to upset you so much my bad

The secret is you won't need to apologise if you think before you post. 

Literally 2 posts before yours someone asked a stupid question and had 8 negative votes, so you had an option then (with some forewarning on how those type of questions are received) on whether to post your question, and you still jumped right onboard the stupid question train with him... 

1 hour ago, Smeg said:

Must be the wrong time of the month around here

Hahaha

2 hours ago, Smeg said:

Come on any recent photos

Why is everyone hating on  @Smeg. We all know deep down that we want the latest pics and info regarding the coaster, and the person that trys to keep the thread and discussion going gets abused. I dont get it lol

3 hours ago, Smeg said:

Come on any recent photos

1 hour ago, Ryande16 said:

We all know deep down that we want the latest pics and info regarding the coaster, and the person that trys to keep the thread and discussion going gets abused. I dont get it lol

• More photos - If nothing has happened, why post more? It's like tuning into a TV drama 'series' only to find it's an old episode put on repeat.
  • More information - We have to rely on VRTP for that and currently, it is a waiting period of just over a month before any kind of new information.
  • Keeping the discussion going? - Simply speculate about what you think is going to happen. Just don't post or ask for updates that consist of information we already know or photos of things that haven't changed.

Like I said before, it is probable that until early March next year at the latest, we will only see footings being placed - not track parts, not theming, not landscaping - just footings. Apart from trying to guess where the track is going to go, footings placement is boring. When track installation begins (like I said, probably March at the latest), daily photos will be a guarantee as that happens pretty quickly - it will be over before you know it as it is the most exciting time of the construction period (apart from any announcements). Footings placement, however, photos are only needed occasionally when heaps of new footings are placed over a period of time. We don't need a photo dedicated to every single new footing - they nearly all look the same.

You all should consider yourselves extremely lucky how frequent the updates are on Parkz now. Back in 2005, when SE was being constructed, we had to wait months before another SE construction update and like they should, they only occurred when things changed. Just take a look at the dates of SE's construction photos in SE's photo gallery and you'll see how long we had to wait back then as forum photo updates weren't common at all back then.

That's why I posted my guess construction timetable for you all - so you will know approximately when something significant will happen.

I think everyone here would agree that this talk of more updates/photos is getting extremely tiring & we still got just over 14 months maximum to go of construction.

If there is some simple advice for you, it is be patient - photos will be posted when something new happens - and if you want to 'keep the discussion going', then speculate - just don't ask for new photos/information constantly (after a 2 week+ gap may be fine) or post news/photos that reveal nothing new.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

24 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:
  • More photos - If nothing has happened, why post more? It's like tuning into a TV drama 'series' only to find it's an old episode put on repeat.
  • More information - We have to rely on VRTP for that and currently, it is a waiting period of just over a month before any kind of new information.
  • Keeping the discussion going? - Simply speculate about what you think is going to happen. Just don't post or ask for updates that consist of information we already know or photos of things that haven't changed.

Like I said before, it is probable that until early March next year at the latest, we will only see footings being placed - not track parts, not theming, not landscaping - just footings. Apart from trying to guess where the track is going to go, footings placement is boring. When track installation begins (like I said, probably March at the latest), daily photos will be a guarantee as that happens pretty quickly - it will be over before you know it as it is the most exciting time of the construction period (apart from any announcements). Footings placement, however, photos are only needed occasionally when heaps of new footings are placed over a period of time. We don't need a photo dedicated to every single new footing - they nearly all look the same.

You all should consider yourselves extremely lucky how frequent the updates are on Parkz now. Back in 2005, when SE was being constructed, we had to wait months before another SE construction update and like they should, they only occurred when things changed. Just take a look at the dates of SE's construction photos in SE's photo gallery and you'll see how long we had to wait back then as forum photo updates weren't common at all back then.

That's why I posted my guess construction timetable for you all - so you will know approximately when something significant will happen.

I think everyone here would agree that this talk of more updates/photos is getting extremely tiring & we still got just over 14 months maximum to go of construction.

If there is some simple advice for you, it is be patient - photos will be posted when something new happens - and if you want to 'keep the discussion going', then speculate - just don't ask for new photos/information constantly (after a 2 week+ gap may be fine) or post news/photos that reveal nothing new.

True 

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked and unlocked this topic
  • joz locked this topic