DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

13 hours ago, AlexB said:

Although what you've drawn makes sense, the orange section, permitting free travel between entry and exit means your blue lines won't do anything. Although RCT allowed us to make one way paths - in reality a painted arrow on a path or a no entry sign won't stop people from going against the flow.  

Yeah, I know that will happen but it's better than nothing. It would reduce congestion to an extent. Other solutions could be to:

• Re-route Arkham Asylum's main entrance to Lethal Weapon's original Chinatown Alley entrance &;
  • Re locate Batwing Spaceshot's exit so people leave in the direction of the Fountain Of Fame

The above might not solve the congestion problem but it would help a bit.

12 hours ago, loki75 said:

Looking at the comments so far are we assuming the coaster will load and unload on the same side?

I haven't assumed that (others might have though) as I don't have enough information yet to make an assumption about that.

A coaster with a single platform loading and unloading from the same side is absolutely detrimental to capacity (aka. Cyclone). Might as well not bother building it at all if you're going to work it like that. So unless there's separated load and unload platforms like SE you will be exiting from the opposite side but could easily loop under the track (Like GL) back to the same side. It might just be me, but that area doesn't look quite large enough to have 2 platforms in a straight line although that depends on how long the trains are. Or maybe there's a curve between the two? All will be revealed soon.

Edited by nitromefans

But we've already discussed the issues with the SE split platforms - the park will want to cut staff costs on slow days, resulting in one staff member moving between each platform - preventing a grouper from having a load ready when the train enters the station.

Multiple trains can run efficiently on one station - it just requires motivated staff with a good operations procedure.

Lethal Weapon used to do fine with two trains and one load platform, proof that you don't need two stations for things things be kept moving at a decent place at a park here. Even Cyclone would improve in operations if they added another block section and train. So long as the time out on the track is greater than what you can unload/load/dispatch a train two trains and one station will never have a negative impact on operations, only a positive.

Seeing as VRTP is making such a huge investment you think they would have figure out the best way to build this station. But seeing as Mack is building it, it will probably have a similar station.

On Blue Fire: At 59 seconds, we see the train leaving the station. At 2:39, we see the train in block brakes, before heading back to the station. Blue fire has 5 trains.

On Flash: at 17 seconds, we see the train leave the station. At 1:26 we see the train entering block brakes. Flash has 2 trains.

Even on Helix: At 5 seconds, the train leaves the station. At 1:26, the train enters the block brakes. Helix also has three trains.

Just looking at Macks previous rides its pretty safe to say the 2017 coaster will have multiple trains and block brakes leading to efficient load and unload times.

Also, for any one unsure as to what a Mack coaster is like, watch these. ^

Edited by Intimidator305.

Exciting times for movie world, obviously, but especially exciting for Dreamworld. So much they can do in the next few years and it's very exciting to see how they play with the opportunities they have. You don't necessarily need to be building a hypercoaster for something to be 'exciting'. Opportunities for big things are just as exciting as actual big things happening.

Same all goes for Sea World too.

Are people forget how good DW did with their TI development and theming? DW are doing big projects and spending money on making massive improvements and the theming standard on TI is outstanding. DW just have not been spending their money on a new roller coaster or new rides lately because they believe they will have a better return from what they are doing now. But it will be interesting to see what they do with the massive section of he park which is SNBO.

27 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

Are people forget how good DW did with their TI development and theming? DW are doing big projects and spending money on making massive improvements and the theming standard on TI is outstanding. DW just have not been spending their money on a new roller coaster or new rides lately because they believe they will have a better return from what they are doing now. But it will be interesting to see what they do with the massive section of he park which is SNBO.

^This

Tiger Island was Disney-level theming. If they continue like this they'll easily be rivalling MW within a few years - not in terms of coasters but at least in terms of the theme park experience you get when you feel completely immersed. I would like to see them do something similar to the gold rush area when they have plans to open new rides (doesn't really matter if it's a revamp or a retheme - I'd just like to see some great theming in that section of the park).

Then again, if Movie World do the same thing as they did with Doomsday to this coaster, Dreamworld might have a hard time catching up. Regardless, I think we'll be seeing some pretty amazing theming at the gold coast theme parks over the next 5-10 years. Storm, Doomsday, and TI have all been top-notch theming and it looks like its going to continue. Do the same stuff you've been doing and I'll be happy :) 

15 hours ago, SunshineTom said:

Flash looks so cool is there any chance we could get a clone with this ride?

I think the CEO of Mack actually mentioned in an interview recently something along the lines of "we're building a similar (or custom?) hyper in Australia." Something from IAAPA. Anyone got the reference?

2 hours ago, djrappa said:

It looks great. It's not actually Disney level, I could lost a dozen reasons why. 

HOWEVER, I feel no point in doing so because it does look amazing and this isn't Disney. 

But let's call it for what it is :)

Definitely second this. It's not Disney, but just because a car isn't a Ferrari doesn't mean it's crap either. I think it's been given the love that it deserves. It's definitely a local icon, if not a national one, and the look and feel of the place matched with the grandstand seating is befitting that title.

Also, it has Kirin beer on tap, what's not to love?

10 hours ago, Gazza said:

...Been waiting since 2005 for DW to build a coaster as good as Superman :)

Sad that Movie World will have two world class coasters soon and Dreamworld will have... yeah.

30 minutes ago, SunshineTom said:

DW should've spent the 7 million toward a new coaster and shipped the poor tigers back to their homeland, i guess the animal cruelty sector have gotten karma lately u could say...

You're unbelievably grossly misinformed.

Query me this, if you were a poor Sumatran gentleman and one of the world's most endangered mammals was risking the life of your workers, what do you do? Call RSPCA while thumbing through new shows on Netflix? Nope, because you're poor and you have literally no options beyond killing the thing because that's the way the world is when you're poor. Furthering this, if the reason why the tiger is there in the first place is because of deforestation because of palm oil crops, growing populations etc. etc. etc. how do you fix that without pissing people off who are trying to survive and feed their kids? And if people are actively killing these animals for alleged medicinal purposes, how do you stop that from happening too? And to top it all off, how do you actually breed enough tigers to offset all of this to stop them from going extinct while you're trying to fix all the above?

Let me be direct. You need great people and you need money. And a lot of it. And thank god for the amazing folks at Tiger Island, 21st Century Tiger and DWF who not only forward on 100% of donations to protecting tigers in the wild (which is spent sending teams over there and working in the community directly) but also work with many reputable international zoos as part of a large scale breeding program to go from "will definitely go extinct in the wild" to "oh wow, there's tigers in the wild again, and they're not suffering either, win!" 

But you're right, giving the tigers at Tiger Island an improved space to exist whilst continuing to educate the general public which then in turns drives awareness and more donations is a terrible "debacle" as you put it.

We don't live in a black and white world mate where you can just throw animals into the wild and tell the locals not to kill them because it's bad. I'd also love to live in a world where every one of those tigers is back in the wild because none of them are being threatened. Sadly, neither of us live in those world, and if you'd like to live in that world someday, you should jump on the train and support those who are doing something about instead of being part of the almost satirically ironic position you put yourself into by being all for animals and hating on organisations who are making a genuine difference.

Still don't believe me? Here's literally dozens of academic papers for you to read that support every word i've said above.

Edited by Slick

15 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

Unfortunately, in a theme park - people want RIDES. When a new proposal for a park comes out (like several of the chinese ones recently) where there is plenty of cultural shows etc, but no rides - what have we all had to say about it?

Exactly.

11 years since a truly breakthrough attraction appeared at DW. Sure - they need to update the tired rundown areas of the park, and they've done a great job of it - but they should have been doing that throughout the last decade, not just in the past 2 years. They've ignored the park, and now they have an even bigger job to bring it back up to standards, and this should suddenly justify why they haven't done much in the way of rides... you know, the things that ACTUALLY bring people into the park?

(Yes, people do go to the park because they want to see the tigers, and only the tigers, but these people are in the minority as most are visiting for other purposes)

14 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Tiger Island was Disney-level theming.

No. Just no. This is Dreamworld - sure it's landscaped well, but does it look like a natural environment for tigers?

Dreamworld_Tiger_Island_2016_1-480x320.j

This is Disney - Lions, but i think the difference is fairly easy to spot.

lion-oi.jpg

8 hours ago, djrappa said:

It looks great. It's not actually Disney level, I could lost a dozen reasons why. 

HOWEVER, I feel no point in doing so because it does look amazing and this isn't Disney. 

But let's call it for what it is :)

Precisely. Very nicely done, but not Disney.

Screen Shot 2016-12-24 at 10.18.41 am.png

I'm thinking that the location of the coaster or 'Lakeside Precinct' is just a guess? Unless someone knows that's where its going. If that was the case, it would make sense the ride hasn't been announced yet, as VRTP would want to announce everything at the same time, and probably just need some plans approved for the lake and hotel.

An Aquaman theme would then make a lot of sense, being near a Lake, and I can see something like a water feature similar to Gryffon's splash down and the iconic turn on Manta coming to Australia.

I understand that the above location is probably just guessing, but if it's themed to Aquaman, I hope they have some water feature, even if its just something like the hyper at Energylandia's water feature.

Edited by Intimidator305.

I can't remember all the details about this Precinct that we have said about (i know nothing major has been announced), but from that info saying that (whether it is true or not, considering it's from Wikipedia)the coaster is in the lake side Precinct, maybe it means the Precinct will be an actual part of MW and is a new area for the park, rather than a direct link to the planned hotel. Just speaking my mind here, so just what i was thinking from that info.

Edited by themagician

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic