DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

43 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I'm not very excited about a mere rollercoaster that will just go up and down. I also can't see what on earth it has to do with movies either.

Did anybody else have to re-read this, scratch their head, get up and grab a beer and re-read it again?

I gave you a positive rep @pushbutton for making me decide I needed another beer.

Edited by YLFATEEKS

1 hour ago, pushbutton said:

"The greatest attraction the southern hemisphere has ever seen" is very much a matter of opinion.

My opinion is that the greatest attraction the southern hemisphere had ever seen was Bermuda Triangle at Sea World. Now that's sadly gone, it's probably Wild West Falls at Movie World.

I'm not very excited about a mere rollercoaster that will just go up and down. I also can't see what on earth it has to do with movies either.

Still good to see another new ride being built though.

While I certainly agree that it is a matter of opinion about what makes an attraction "great", I think you're certainly a little bit ignorant if the only thing you seem to judge rides by is their theming or "storyline". Yes, I would agree that BT and WWF are made fantastic by their respective theming (and would be mediocre, boring rides without them) there are plenty of rides with minimal theming that certainly dominate the world-class category.

That would be like saying Space Mountain is a world-class coaster (which it is), but Kingda Ka is not. A little bit unfair - you cannot expect an entire hyper-coaster to be enclosed and filled with animatronics and a thoroughly engaging storyline. That's not what all rides are about.

As for your argument that a roller coaster that "just goes up and down" doesn't fit in with the movie theme, I don't think that's important either. I would argue that Viking's Revenge and Jet Rescue fit in very little at Sea World (and arguably Storm too). But you cannot dedicate an entire theme park to one highly specific type of attraction and expect to draw crowds. Imagine how much revenue WBMW would lose if it only kept its attractions that were strictly movie-themed and immersive, or if SW strictly only had marine animal exhibits. While these are fundamentals of what the parks stand for, they are, after all, amusement parks - their focus is on AMUSING a wide range of target audiences. And that includes the thrill-seeker market.

I'm sorry that Australia's first hyper-coaster isn't exciting enough for you. Besides, you're working under the assumption that it WON'T have a storyline like SE...

5 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

But they're NOT amusement parks. They're THEME parks.

There's a very important distinction in my opinion!

So you're arguing that WBMW would be better without the following:
- Arkham Asylum
- Green Lantern
- the new hyper-coaster (by your assumption that it won't be themed)
- the entire kid's area
- Doomsday
- Batwing

... all because none of the above have immersive storylines???

2 minutes ago, jake_hunt said:

So you're arguing that WBMW would be better without the following:
- Arkham Asylum
- Green Lantern
- the new hyper-coaster (by your assumption that it won't be themed)
- the entire kid's area
- Doomsday
- Batwing

... all because none of the above have immersive storylines???

Not here to argue Jake. Just my opinions!

I get where everyone is coming from here. For those who are only judging by youtube, hypercoasters probably don't look that impressive. But when you ride them, that OMG feeling is better than on any other kind of attraction. There's some feeling that only a ride of that size can convey. And from a coaster enthusiasts opinion only a small percent of rides will ever please us. But parks don't invest to please coaster enthusiasts. They invest to draw crowds in and make money. And nothing does that better then a massive coaster. Sure a great dark ride with immersive storylines are awesome for themeparks but they don't give the same return. 

And from the other side, I admit, a park like Six Flags Magic Mountain full of thrill coasters only appeals to a small majority. But the last ride built at movie world was Doomsday, which is a farily good family ride. Before that was a dark ride (correct me if I'm wrong). So its about time for a thrill ride.

Wow. I'm not here to argue either, just that's the most unique opinion on our parks I've ever heard! I certainly think that, regardless of whether you think the theming is adequate or not, there are other reasons you can appreciate a ride...

For example, the theming on GL is... well... what theming? But it's a fantastic ride with good forces, unique elements and, of course, it disperses the thrill-seeking crowds around the DC area, with BWSS, SE and AA all pretty close by. That will only get better when the new coaster opens... which could be themed... but even if it's not, it's a HYPER-COASTER. I've never been on one, but... I'm keen for something truly special, themed or not.

For example, JL I think is a really good ride, with great theming, good storyline (even if the end is a bit underwhelming) and unlike anything we've seen in his country before, but I don't think it was something that made people visit the park. However, with the pure scale of this coaster, and it being positioned right at the front of the park, if they push hard with marketing like they did with SE, then I definitely think it will really pull the big crowds and will make people want to visit the park to ride it. Especially also if it's the tallest and longest coaster in the country.

9 minutes ago, jake_hunt said:

Wow. I'm not here to argue either, just that's the most unique opinion on our parks I've ever heard! I certainly think that, regardless of whether you think the theming is adequate or not, there are other reasons you can appreciate a ride...

For example, the theming on GL is... well... what theming? But it's a fantastic ride with good forces, unique elements and, of course, it disperses the thrill-seeking crowds around the DC area, with BWSS, SE and AA all pretty close by. That will only get better when the new coaster opens... which could be themed... but even if it's not, it's a HYPER-COASTER. I've never been on one, but... I'm keen for something truly special, themed or not.

Just depends what you happen to enjoy about a ride!

Opinions can be wrong.  Even if you're a dark family ride fan you should appreciate that this promises to be amazing, the same way that coaster fans would still be excited if there was an amazing dark ride going in.

Honestly I'm shocked that people aren't a little bit more 'OMFG a hyper!!!'  Even shit hypers are amazing, I've been on a Morgan hyper, and it'd easy be the second best coaster in the country behind Superman.  Mack are building this one, and Mack are doing amazing things right now.  I know I've been negative lately but if you're not excited for this ride then get a new hobby!

I see where @pushbutton is coming from but let's wait & see. Given MW is a theme park, I expect some theming (I would be disappointed if there is only a 'name'/franchise logos for the hypercoaster though) but the bigger the attraction, the less chance of immersive theming. In the end, creativity is all about doing more with less. We got an out & back hypercoaster heading our way, remember. At most, I'd expect theming in the queue, station, brake run or exit - nothing more. For all we know, those elements may have a pre or post-ride segment and similar to what I just wrote, I'd rate the 'narrative' of the hypercoaster based on how creative they are in regards to theming in those areas and how it links to the hypercoaster layout.

How the hypercoaster's train is going to be utilised in the theme is also key - look at previous MW coasters:

@jake_hunt, all MW attractions have some sort of 'narrative' but yes, some of those rides' theming aren't as immersive as others. Sometimes you need to use your imagination to continue the 'narrative' (like imagining you're inside the Batwing accelerating in and out of outer space on Batwing Spaceshot).

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

I'm very excited for this coaster, and every time I visit the site, the excitement grows more and more. I'm not expecting theming throughout the track, and maybe not even a Pre-show, but I am expecting an immersive and well thought out queue area. I won't be dissapointed if it isn't, because I'm sure this coaster will kick ass, but to take it to that next level it definitely needs some sort of theming, whether it's in the queue or in a pre-show before the lift hill. From what MW have done lately, I have plenty of faith in them 

Bizarro_664572_i0.jpeg41_973.jpeg

Theming works well on these coasters, one of which I believe is actually a hyper. So we could always see some theming. And judging by Movie Worlds standards we will see some sort of theming how ever basic.

Superman: Pre-show

Arkham: Courtyard and viewing (not great theming but adds to the Park)

GL: The queue walk through is pretty cool, with the figures kind of like Doomsday. (Wouldn't it be cool if the wristbands could activate stuff on that while you're in line)

Scooby: Was great theming

Road Runner: Substantial theming.

So I believe that the hyper will either have some sort of theming during ride such as Bizarro above, or even some sort of area that adds to the park. By Movie Words standards, I really don't see this being just a coaster with a name.

On 1/27/2017 at 2:48 AM, mission said:

What's the general consensus on Mack Rides as a manufacturer?

They're building some fabulous rides of late. I'm doing a lot of work in Singapore at the moment and I'm going to extend one of my trips either at the back end of this year or the start of next in order to ride this.

...and yes, the fact that I'm going to do a trip to ride a new coaster doesn't automatically mean that it's good. But in this case, I have a lot of confidence.

^^^That archway using the outline of the Superman logo is really effective, especially at night when it's lit up. When you go through it on Superman at SFNE at night, it's awesome, the lights are quite blinding.

It's quite possible this will be better than Flash at Lewa as MW really knows how to customise ride experiences, I guess it will be a matter of how much better. I'm a hard marker because I'll compare the MW "hyper" (lol) to stuff I've been on in all parts, but in any case a visit to MW will be infinitely richer for having this ride.

On 27 January 2017 at 4:03 AM, mission said:

It looks to be a fairly generic train that goes up a lift hill (granted a tall hill), down the other side, through a loop, then over numerous hills with a few turns thrown it.  It doesn't look anything new and innovative other than it's shear size.  

I almost spat out my drink.

Yes, and Superman is just a launch, over a hill, around a corner, over another hill, around another corner, over another hill, around another corner and into the brake run.

Hills and turns are what roller coasters do. Trust me, hypers and their 'numerous hills' are absolutely incredible and you seriously can't knock it until you ride one. Not every new ride has to be innovative or different, especially when you have such a tried and true formula in the hypercoaster.

I can't believe we're even having this debate on a forum about theme parks, this is some GP level shit.

8 hours ago, AllegroCrab said:

I almost spat out my drink.

Yes, and Superman is just a launch, over a hill, around a corner, over another hill, around another corner, over another hill, around another corner and into the brake run.

Hills and turns are what roller coasters do. Trust me, hypers and their 'numerous hills' are absolutely incredible and you seriously can't knock it until you ride one. Not every new ride has to be innovative or different, especially when you have such a tried and true formula in the hypercoaster.

So you pretty much proved my point, which you obviously missed....

On 27/01/2017 at 8:52 PM, jake_hunt said:

For example, the theming on GL is... well... what theming?

I think this is why some people don't accept that a ride has a theme, or is suited to a theme park - because too many just don't realise what 'theme' is.

Everything that is more than the basic mechanical parts needed to make the ride work (including air gates etc) is theming. In green lanterns case you have:

1. An incredibly well sculptured ride sign (as opposed to standard signboard text).
  2. Well landscaped queueline with characters from the green lantern universe - including audio effects
  3. Fencing detail, including lights
  4. giant billboard size green lantern logo that pulses at night
  5. stationhouse with GL imagery on the roof
  6. GL themed ride vehicles with the GL logo - with lights!
  7. On board audio (no "if it works" comments)
  8. right down to the green lantern pledge written on the back of each vehicle

All these things weren't required. they could have just painted the track green and called it green lantern without anything else. Is it the best, most immersive theme out there? no. It IS better than most coasters i've been on at SFMM, and TBH - for the most part with an outdoor coaster on an Australian budget, this is about as much as you can typically expect - it would be the expectations I have for the new coaster too - something similar, not necessarily identical, and if it has it, it will tick those boxes for me to say 'suitable \ satisfactory theme'.

On 28/01/2017 at 8:44 AM, Intimidator305. said:

Bizarro_664572_i0.jpeg

Something like this at MW with the mist - would really help with those riding on a hot day. How long before they turned it off? thats the question - but i'd really like to see them bring back the fogging they used to have in the superman tunnels - flying through a mist tunnel like this would do wonders for guest comfort on a hot day - especially when your water ride\s aren't working.

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
  • joz locked this topic