DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

• Richard changed the title to DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion
1 hour ago, Inverted said:

On way home today they had crews playing with coloured purple spot lights on the Stengel dive supports.

Exciting :) glad to see that it will have lights on the coaster, I bet it will look stunning at night! 

One question though, are you sure the lights were purple? ..or were they Magenta?:P:lol:

1. they could very well have been white lights, and the colour of the track is what you saw
  2. it could be purple. I like that they're planning lighting, but I would have loved to have seen LED strip run the length of the track - REALLY make it pop at night.
  3. Either way, i'm glad to see they haven't blown their wad entirely on the coaster and have something left over to make it look nice - hopefully that extends to landscaping and perhaps even some themed elements along the ride course.
  4. it's not fuschia.

do pixel string instead of strip. 

25c per light - you can pick the spacing. Even if you made it every 30cm, you're looking at about 4600 nodes = around $1200 or so

(https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/12mm-bullet-type-DC12V-WS2818-RGB-full-color-addressable-LED-pixel-light-IP68-10cm-wire-spacing/701799_32770502185.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.j8sPlG)

Now, sure - these aren't things that will last a decade, so triple the price for a more commercial quality unit, add another $500-$1000 for controllers and such - maybe go all out and buy a Pi to drive it all for you - you're gonna have the whole thing lit for around $5000.

Now to sit back and wait for @djrappa to pick it all apart - as I know he's probably got a better idea.

^ Plus the labour costs for someone to wrap it around the whole coaster and cables ties to attach it to the track. 

$5,000 is not to bad considering they are spending 30million plus. I am sure MW would want to make this stand out at night. I am actually surprised DW don't have lighting running up the Dreamworld tower.

Edited by Tim Dasco

Well see that depends - if they'd thought about it before it went vertical, they could have hard everything fitted to the track, plugs at each end. Obviously after its up, fitting is a tougher job.

So costs could vary, and yes it'd obviously cost easily double factoring labour - I wasn't ignoring that part, it just wasn't relevant considering the previous posts only talked about light costs.

@AlexB when I brought up cost, I also meant labour. Obviously, Movie World would be able to afford the lights themselves - they are spending over $30 million on this already. What I meant was that at this point, the cost and effort of basically going over the whole track again to install 1.4km of lights on the track is probably not worth it. As you pointed out though, it would have been much easier and more feasible had they installed the lights on the track segments in advance.

2 hours ago, jake_hunt said:

@AlexB when I brought up cost, I also meant labour.

Hey Jake - wasn't specifically referring to your post, but the two after it simply referencing a product, and it's cost, without labour.

1 hour ago, jack.c said:

Can you guys discuss the theming of the ride in the other thread? Yes lights come under theming. 

Oh i'm sorry - I didn't realise you were a moderator.

You did notice TWO of them continued the discussion here, right?

Lights can also come under construction - since lights are part of the construction...

Do you need a hand out of the backseat?

• joz locked this topic