DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

8 hours ago, Santa07 said:

The thing is, is it really halfway up? Perspective can be a funny thing.

Basic measurements show me that the height of the "tower" is about 360px, and the distance between the bottom and the green dot is about 240px. Which means the car does make it up 2/3 of the tower, i.e ~76m.

DC Rivals might have a longer drop though, I'm not entirely sure since ToT's track is elevated a bit, but it's certainly not taller in height.

Yeah good point. From my eye when I viewed the video it looked exactly half, though now you've drawn that it does reach higher than I initially thought.

They should have just marketed it as Australia's Tallest, Fastest and Longest full/complete circuit rollercoaster. The GP doen't know or care about the term Hypercoaster.

Plus you can also class ToT II as a hypercoaster, because it's over 200 ft (61m) tall. Knowing that, I don't know how VRTPs can get away with stating that Rivals is the "tallest, longest, fastest and only HyperCoaster in the Southern Hemisphere".....because it's not.

Edited by Luke

There is more to the definition of Hypercoaster than 200 feet tall. 

Shuttle coasters are not considered Hypercoasters, and generally also need to focus on speed and airtime to fit that definition, although recently some with inversions have been given the classification. 

They also generally don't have 'another gimmick'. 

For example nobody calls X2 a Hypercoaster (it has 215' drop), and even if the height was also over 200' I still don't think anyone would. 

21 minutes ago, djrappa said:

There is more to the definition of Hypercoaster than 200 feet tall. 

Shuttle coasters are not considered Hypercoasters, and generally also need to focus on speed and airtime to fit that definition, although recently some with inversions have been given the classification. 

If you want to get really technical, the word 'Hypercoaster' doesn't exist in the dictionary. Arrow Dynamics made the word up to describe Magnum XL-200. Perhaps there isn't an official definition for the word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercoaster The wiki page lists X2 and ToT II as hypercoasters.

Edited by Luke

Got some good views today from the top of Superman and Batwing.... Looks like there are more artwork panels inbetween the brake run and the start of the lift hill... the line will snake around in there. The station looked pretty basic, but work was going on inside. People were up and down the lift hill all day doing stuff. Very exciting! This thing really is insane in person. Photos don't do the colour justice either! I always found myself looking at that lift hill wherever I was in the park!

From the top of Arkam, it look like coming off the brake run there are two ways the train can turn into the station. I don't know if one will be the maintenance bay or a second loading area but the two track lines would align with the fact Movie World said there would be two trains. Furthermore, from the looks of the length of the station building long ways it appears it would only fit one train in at a time per track line. (Sorry if what I said appears to be confusing)

2 hours ago, JaggedJanine said:

20170811165452_IMG_0867.thumb.JPG.0a2902c1d6aaf8a0dbaf96181503cef7.JPG

That ramp on the left, is that for the entrance or exit?

GL has also got scheduled maintenance from Tuesday to Saturday (and this has only appeared on the website today), so maybe the joker head will be installed next week. Or this really is just general maintence

41 minutes ago, themagician said:

GL has also got scheduled maintenance from Tuesday to Saturday (and this has only appeared on the website today), so maybe the joker head will be installed next week. Or this really is just general maintence

My guess is this is when the first pull through will happen.  I don't think the joker head will go up until they've done all the safety testing.

21 minutes ago, themagician said:

Thanks for the photos. Manage to get any of the station? 

Just checked the photos that I took today and it will be a no sadly

I'm pretty sure there's another ramp they have constructed which will be the entrance/queue that I could see via the queue 

Edited by Adventures With JWorld

• joz locked this topic