DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 8:33 PM, Santa07 said:

If they're testing it so soon, perhaps that means they're trying to push forward the opening? (to perhaps the September school holidays?)

I hope so! I have to go to the GC for the long weekend at the end of September/first week of October so fingers crossed!!

Maybe i missed something in past posts... but did they ever do a pull through of the car?

I would have assumed we would have seen footage and pictures of this before test cycles...

And i thought a pull through was standard to make sure the track was complete and the train can cycle without obstruction.

Have they created new devices/technology/processes to avoid the need for this?

23 minutes ago, xRazzBerryx said:

PCL posted a video from a test run this afternoon & I must say it looks a lot faster in this video, especially coming over that airtime hill! Not sure why it looks faster, maybe it is the angle the video was taken from but it definitely looks faster to me. 

Could be to do with the chain lift - the videos on Saturday appeared to show the train slowing for the crest of the hill whereas now the chain seems to retain its full speed as the train tops the hill. First videos of Flash had a slowed chain lift too, seems to be the practice for first day testing.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, jack.c said:

Random question, would the forces be different whilst sitting backwards compared to forwards? 

The magnitude of forces will be exactly the same, just the direction may change.

The vertical positive/negative would be exactly the same as if you were sitting forwards.

The lateral forces will switch sides because your left becomes the train's right, and the forwards/backwards forces will switch direction because your forwards is the train's backwards.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AllegroCrab said:

The magnitude of forces will be exactly the same, just the direction may change.

Not quite. G-forces are a product of speed and directional change, i.e. the track curving. All rows of seats are travelling the same speed at any given moment, but they will be on different sections of track and as such experience different forces.

The easiest example to think of is heading over the top of a lift hill. While the front rows will creep gently into first drop experiencing essentially no forces, the back row is often whipped over with a burst of negative g's.

• Like 4

Yeah, that's a more complete analysis for the entire train. I was lazy and just compared what would happen if you switched the direction you were facing in the same row.

Another interesting thing to think about is how there is a difference between sitting on the left or right seats. This is especially noticeable in coasters with 4 (or more) abreast seating, where the seats at the extremities have to move a longer distance than the seats in the middle for the same twist. If you compare the leftmost seat to the rightmost seat on the same coaster, you'll get different forces for different elements depending on their shaping and which way the track is twisting.

So when trying to work out what the best seat is on a coaster, not only should you compare which row you are in, but also which seat you are in on that row.

As always, it comes down to opinion. Some people love being whipped through elements, some people love it to be graceful. Always gives you something to argue about for ages with strangers on the internet.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2017 at 7:12 PM, xRazzBerryx said:

PCL posted a video from a test run this afternoon & I must say it looks a lot faster in this video, especially coming over that airtime hill! Not sure why it looks faster, maybe it is the angle the video was taken from but it definitely looks faster to me. 

Woah thats belting through👌

• Like 1

• joz locked this topic