DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

2 hours ago, AlexB said:

wouldn't be hard to retrofit a few speakers on the lift hill, rather than having on board audio systems. A simple IR beam across the base of the lift to trigger the audio playback, and have it timed perfectly to the lift chain speed... Imagine that Laugh booming out over the park?

Superman isn't on-board audio, which is why it works. On board systems are a lot harder to get right, and keep working on an Aus budget.

Thing is. There are already speakers on the lift for evac. And the ride control system already knows the train is on the lift. 

So seems like such a wasted op not to use these (for free) to add something to the experience. 

13 hours ago, djrappa said:

Thing is. There are already speakers on the lift for evac. And the ride control system already knows the train is on the lift. 

So seems like such a wasted op not to use these (for free) to add something to the experience. 

Evac speakers are usually loudhailer \ horn type speakers that don't have great quality, especially for music - very tinny... but I guess it'd be better than nothing.

I'd given the example assuming the ride system couldn't be adapted in that way \ would cost too much to have wired \ reprogrammed. a few years after Demon was installed they added an auto-spieler, a simple push button to have the ride pre-load spiel played, although come to think of it they did use the existing station speakers.

Of course if they can use the gear already there they should, provided it adds, not detracts, from the experience.

3 hours ago, red dragin said:

I was working more on outdoor vs indoor. There has been many complaints about the audio issues on Wild West too. 

You seemed to single out two rides with on-board audio. I don't recall reading about (nor have I witnessed myself) any recurring/ongoing issues with audio Wild West Falls?

Even if joker head isn't coloured or lit up on the side facing the park, you will still see it as you go up the lift hill, and if they had some sort of audio had you passed over the crest of the hill, would be pretty cool. If some like the joker laughing, would really add to the ride. I am really interested how the theming turns out in regards to linking to the name, and how they display the DC characters rivalling, particularly in the station.

Edited by themagician

12 minutes ago, Richard said:

You seemed to single out two rides with on-board audio. I don't recall reading about (nor have I witnessed myself) any recurring/ongoing issues with audio Wild West Falls?

I'm not one for water rides. Only been on it once. 

I was going off the sync issues reported on here post the refurb of WWF. 

Not arguing it's not a great idea, just don't think it will last. Stick with what you do best, I'd rather see that money spent on something they maintain. 

Edited by red dragin

19 minutes ago, themagician said:

Even if joker head isn't coloured or lit up on the site facing the park, you will still see it as you go up the lift hill

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

@Skeeta isn't the issue people were having was that one side of the Joker head is just the metal, while the other side is painted and will be lit up. But I'm saying, that yes it would be good to have the same finish both sides, but will still be cool as you go up the lift hill, you will be  staring at it 

3 minutes ago, themagician said:

@Skeeta isn't the issue people were having was that one side of the Joker head is just the metal, while the other side is painted and will be lit up. But I'm saying, that yes it would be good to have the same finish both sides, but will still be cool as you go up the lift hill, you will be  staring at it 

But that's like being out the back of wild west, and looking at the 'mountain' which is just a shed.

28 minutes ago, Slick said:

Nah i'm calling it, it's the literal and figurative height of overthinking things because nothing else news-worthy is happening at the moment. Fox News would be proud.

Let's dial it back here for a second. They're installing a cool joker face atop a hypercoaster. That in itself is unique and pretty cool. Let's all have a beer and not be unappreciative theme park nerds for a change and just  take solace in the fact that we're being gifted cool shit to ride.

Or not, continue to be petty and have the parks alienate us more because we're a bunch of beer-less nit-pickters who, when given good things, continue to find fault.

There's already been several discussions about things they could have done:

• lighting the track
  • colour changing pillars
  • having the face face both ways (two-face? lol)
  • Having the face move
  • having the face laugh
  • having a fully-backwards facing train

These are what enthusiasts do - think of ways it could have been done differently. I'm sure you'll appreciate when I say if it weren't for enthusiasts to think about things differently, we could have been looking at a very different coaster design IYKWIM.

Nothing says these ideas have to be solid, sound improvements that the park should be embarrassed for not having thought of. Nothing even says these ideas have to be solidly rooted in logic and budget. Ok, so some of them probably don't belong in a construction discussion, but more of a wishful thinking discussion, but who cares?

Just because people come up with ways of doing things differently, doesn't mean they're unappreciative of what did come along.

I notice you didn't 'call it' when Richard was discussing it? Does Richard need a beer too?

On 28/08/2017 at 11:53 AM, Richard said:

It does strike me as a lost opportunity to use it for the ride experience by having it facing riders as well. Maybe it's a little too close to what Arkham Asylum tries to do, but Joker music on the lift hill and the face lighting up to coincide with a Mark Hamill laugh as the train nears and crests the top. It justifies the existence of the head and gives the ride something of a theme without going overboard with an attempted storyline.

This discussion isn't to 'find fault' with it, but as Rich eloquently put it - it was a lost opportunity.

• Like 2

I get we're on an enthusiast forum, and these things should be discussed, and most of the time I say go for it, but sometimes it goes a little cray-cray in here with the kool-aid and the extreme reactions on the tiniest things.

I use the Bunnings method, that is, if Bunnings were renovating toilets would it get the same crazy reporting from theme park nerds  when Movie World reno'd their toilets early this year? Probably not, and sometimes it's healthy just to take a step back you know?

It's fun to talk about these things, it's also important to keep reality in check too and not blast a whole project down & not be otherwise positive and excited because of a small decision that was probably, highly likely rooted in logic & in reality, really doesn't impact the overall experience as much as we thing it does. (Because that's never happened on Parkz by a community member ever, right?)

FYI, none of that is directed at you @AlexB, i'm sure you'll get i'm talking in generalities here.

• Like 1

i got you. But here's the thing - it's not like its a knee jerk reaction to some newly discovered fact. The joker face was portrayed as a single facing object in the rendering. it was kinda to be expected. This discussion has enlivened because of the arrival of the physical piece.

and it is a missed opportunity. big time. apart from budget \ cost, I can't see one solid reason as to why they couldn't have made the face 'two-way' - and it REALLY would have been cool had they done so.

I'm not saying the lack of a second face will detract from what is going to be an awesome ride, but its the little things that count. its the little things that you mightn't notice, unless they weren't there. (I'd normally go on a rave about disney and universal level themeing here but it isn't necessary). My point is - the frame is there, the power is there. Just as Rappa pointed out the existing speakers and control systems could permit lift-hill audio without much effort, duplicating the sign on the other side surely wouldn't have broken the bank and really put the cherry on the top of what is already an amazing attraction.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Slick said:

I get we're on an enthusiast forum, and these things should be discussed, and most of the time I say go for it, but sometimes it goes a little cray-cray in here with the kool-aid and the extreme reactions on the tiniest things.

I use the Bunnings method, that is, if Bunnings were renovating toilets would it get the same crazy reporting from theme park nerds  when Movie World reno'd their toilets early this year? Probably not, and sometimes it's healthy just to take a step back you know?

It's fun to talk about these things, it's also important to keep reality in check too and not blast a whole project down & not be otherwise positive and excited because of a small decision that was probably, highly likely rooted in logic & in reality, really doesn't impact the overall experience as much as we thing it does. (Because that's never happened on Parkz by a community member ever, right?)

FYI, none of that is directed at you @AlexB, i'm sure you'll get i'm talking in generalities here.

Nobody "not" keeping this discussion “in reality check”.  Nobody is blasting the whole project. 

The options discussed are within reality and simple.  I think of them as the icing on the cake. 

To say MW should’ve built it in a shed is not within reality.

To say MW should’ve themed it to Harry Potter is not in reality.

Comparing toilets to adding theming to a hypercoaster is not in reality.

Edited by Skeeta
  • Like 1

• joz locked this topic