DC Rivals HyperCoaster construction discussion

Richard

3 minutes ago, mission said:

Trim Brakes = the best way to ruin a roller-coaster.

I agree, just watched it do about three or four test runs this morning and the last half of the ride looks so sluggish. Hardly looks like much airtime in those last few airtime hills before the brakes now. 🙁

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Slick said:

TLDR, it's far wiser to make sure the train definitely makes it through the course and refine the speed to optimise the experience than to build it without tolerances & have a train not come back at all in the first place.

Got it. Add LIMs to make it faster. 👌👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JCasey said:

I agree, just watched it do about three or four test runs this morning and the last half of the ride looks so sluggish. Hardly looks like much airtime in those last few airtime hills before the brakes now. 🙁

Oh god here comes the sky is falling rubbish. 

Its not sluggish at all. In fact it was whipping way too quick trough the turnaround elements before, wouldn't have been a fun ride. 

Jusy think for a second... these people are about building a world class coaster, would they really just wack some trims on it to ruin the ride? No of course not. 

You can never judge a coasters speed and forces from off ride. 

19 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Oh god here comes the sky is falling rubbish. 

Its not sluggish at all. In fact it was whipping way too quick trough the turnaround elements before, wouldn't have been a fun ride. 

Jusy think for a second... these people are about building a world class coaster, would they really just wack some trims on it to ruin the ride? No of course not. 

You can never judge a coasters speed and forces from off ride. 

I do hope you're right :) 

Am i allowed to give my opinion in this topic about this coaster? I was already underwhelmed from the animated POV but quietly kept myself excited. From what i have seen, it's no flash. No comparison.

The first drop, airtime hill and inverted loop are it for this coaster, then it's a nothing coaster as far as i am concerned.

Definitely the weakest of all of mack's bigger coasters. 

For some reason we seem to get the worst of everything in OZ.. we get the worst el loco of the lot cause it's loaded with trims, no excitement or adrenaline at all, and we get an ok and good for oz, but weakest hyper of the lot. We keep getting shunted. This was in no way about budget as that's an expensive coaster, it's simply not a great design IMO.

This will all be mostly about front seat airtime and maybe the very back seat for the first drop and that's it.. If we weren't going to get a lot of hills and drops, i would have at least liked to see inversions. We still need to go OS to get really good hypers and multi loopers, we have no choice. Too bad.

At this stage i would have much preferred an RMC, by far.

My expectations were probably too high for this, after helix and flash. I'll reserve absolute final judgement till ride day.

PS perhaps one day dreamworld will build an intamin hyper like new england ROS to beat this. So for the inspiration to get other parks to compete, it's still worth having. And of course i'll still be riding it 100+ times, regardless.It's just not my kind of hyper, layout wise.

Edited by pazzap
added last paragraph

Honestly this looks better than Flash. I haven't seen a proper POV of this of course, but Flash looks really sluggish. One or two massive airtime hills are great, but Flash has a bunch and most of them are trimmed, which brings it into B&M hyper territory. And I'd take a NI loop over a normal loop any day (unless it's a really intense loop, but Flash's isn't). I love my sensation of speed and low to the ground twists and turns, so I'm really looking forward to this ride because it's full of that. I would agree that Helix is probably still going to be a better ride than this, but to me this could very well be Mack's second best coaster.

• Like 2

@pazzap You make some valid points about coasters in Aus generally - especially GL.  Although I think the slow points on GL make it an excellent candidate for VR addition in the future, because there is time to interact with VR characters.

But Rivals was always going to need some trims.  The ride features lateral Gs that most other coasters don't - at the top of the loop and Stengel Dive, at the top and bottom of the turn around, and on the camel back.  It also doesn't have OTSRs so there is nothing to limit those forces on your body.  If you're going too fast through those sections, it's just going to hurt.  Maybe not when you're on the ride, but later in the day or the next day your lower back is going to hurt.

The compromise is that the last half of the ride will be a bit more sluggish than the start, but this ride isn't about speed - it's about turns, and the last half of the ride is very busy with those kinds of elements, so it should still be an experience that you won't get on any other ride in Aus, and most other coasters in the world.

16 hours ago, pazzap said:

perhaps one day dreamworld will build an intamin hyper like new england ROS to beat this.

I'm actually quite surprised to read that. Rode Superman the Ride last year and it was very good and enjoyable, but nowhere near the intensity and crazy ejector-ness of Expedition GeForce. I heard it does not run as well as in its heyday, perhaps because of the several train changes, but my point is StR isn't necessarily the strongest airtime machine out there - and judging from my conversations with American coasterfans, I still look like I'm overrating it!

I am a little disappointed about the trims, but I don't mind them very much tbh. DC Rivals trimless looked ridiculously fast and so much snappier than Helix. Helix is actually rather moderate intensity though the constant speed and great duration, plus amazing layout more than make up for that. If it is only slowed down a little, I think DC Rivals will still be more forceful than Liseberg's multi-launch, especially if that first hill is not trimmed! I will give my full impressions on that ride in a video, but honestly I can see it making at least my Top 10!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Honestly this looks better than Flash. I haven't seen a proper POV of this of course, but Flash looks really sluggish. One or two massive airtime hills are great, but Flash has a bunch and most of them are trimmed, which brings it into B&M hyper territory. And I'd take a NI loop over a normal loop any day (unless it's a really intense loop, but Flash's isn't). I love my sensation of speed and low to the ground twists and turns, so I'm really looking forward to this ride because it's full of that. I would agree that Helix is probably still going to be a better ride than this, but to me this could very well be Mack's second best coaster.

um, didn't we just get a trim too? and it's still early days of testing.

B&M hypers are the bomb. Raging bull is the most neutered one with trims and just awful,  but apollo's, nitro, shambhala and more are all awesome. Literally out of your seat if you are in the back for most of the ride. 

Being low to the ground and twists and turns is exactly why i don't like it. I wanted drops. Flash's loop is about hang time with the lapbar, like full throttle's. That's actually a very exciting feeling IMO. Not every loop has to be about high G's.. and not to forget flash is the world's largest loop.

This only qualifies as a hyper because of the first drop, it has nothing in common with most hypers after that.. i'd rather have had the 100ft lightning run over this any day.

56 minutes ago, wikiverse said:

@pazzap You make some valid points about coasters in Aus generally - especially GL.  Although I think the slow points on GL make it an excellent candidate for VR addition in the future, because there is time to interact with VR characters.

But Rivals was always going to need some trims.  The ride features lateral Gs that most other coasters don't - at the top of the loop and Stengel Dive, at the top and bottom of the turn around, and on the camel back.  It also doesn't have OTSRs so there is nothing to limit those forces on your body.  If you're going too fast through those sections, it's just going to hurt.  Maybe not when you're on the ride, but later in the day or the next day your lower back is going to hurt.

The compromise is that the last half of the ride will be a bit more sluggish than the start, but this ride isn't about speed - it's about turns, and the last half of the ride is very busy with those kinds of elements, so it should still be an experience that you won't get on any other ride in Aus, and most other coasters in the world.

i don't care that it has trims, i care that it's about turns when we didn't need a hypercoaster to do that. I wanted drops and airtime hills.

• joz locked this topic