DC Rivals HyperCoaster Announcement

25 minutes ago, Ryande16 said:

It just seems bizarre that its a whole 50 seconds longer then flash which is only 100 metres shorter

The DC Rivals coaster has a lot of sharp turns and rapid banking.  Both of these slow a coaster down because they're pushing the coaster into the track instead of letting gravity push the coaster along the track.  Flash is much straighter with inversions rather than twists.

They may also be using a slightly slower chain speed on the lift hill, or they may be using softer wheels which will give a much smoother ride with all of the twists, but will also slow down the coaster.

There are a lot of reasons it could be a longer ride, but it will be the right ride length for this coaster.

31 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Looking at this photo has me wondering.    Why not have 4 seats backwards at the back.   Looking at the space around the seats I wonder if the last row can rotate and run forward.  Hence the need for extra clearance. Otherwise why not put in an extra forward or backward row.    

"And you can ride it back backwards" for some extra cash...... ???

Untitled_DCrivals.jpg.df2e99a341fff377f814404a50fac897.jpg

I don't think the clearance is to allow turning, I think it is to prevent the headrests from colliding.

During tight dips and during the helix the tops of the seats could collide.

I'm not sure what to think of the backwards seating on the last row. One of Expedition GeForce's main selling points is its amazing twisted first drop. I wonder how a similar drop would ride backwards. But kudos to Mack and WBMW for trying something new! The non-inverting loop could be very exciting too with a good mix of laterals, snappiness and floating moments.

I'm interested to see the end of the layout if there's some good bunny hops to conclude the ride. Some extra airtime humps would be nice! A very solid addition to the park in any event :D

1 hour ago, Coaster Hipster said:

I'm interested to see the end of the layout if there's some good bunny hops to conclude the ride. Some extra airtime humps would be nice! A very solid addition to the park in any event :D

There are - you can see these at the end of the main preview video. 'Solid' is an understatement; I'd go with VRTP's 'gamechanging'.

So if 2 trains are running, and you are loading train #2 whilst train #1 is in motion, you have approx. 3 mins to unload/load train #2 before #1 gets back. If you run the ride perfectly (without stacking) you could be sending a train out every 3 minutes. Therefore, 60/3mins = 20, 20*22 passengers = 440pph.

For starters, I'm not sure why everyone is getting hung up on an MCBR. None of the Intamin Hypers use them, and Millennium Force is the only one that runs three due to having a separate unload.

Secondly, if the ride time is 3 mins, then the dispatch interval cannot be 3 mins because you'd end up with a situation where every 2nd train would be stacking behind the one in the station (In other words no point running a 2nd train)

The correct maths is to acertain the loading time, add that to the cycle time, and then that is the number of laps each train can do in an hour.

Then double that because you have two trains running, and one train can be let off the lift as soon as the other has cleared the first brake run.

So say they could check a train in one minute, that means a cycle time closer to 4 mins = 15 cycles per train.

So 30 trains per hour = 660.

But then again, that 3 min figure could be inclusive of the load/unload time.

Flash is 2 mins from station to brakes (Video was taken in testing with a slow lift) but the Alvey POV seems to show the lift going faster but unfortunatley cuts most of the lift out.

so 3 mins total cycle including loading could be a realistic upper limit?

In which case 40 trains per hour can be sent, which is 880 per hour.

7 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

next on the list a B&M

Why? I don't get why this should be the next manufacturer when there are so many other companies that do great rides yet to be represented in Australia. 

The third train idea, good in theory, bad in practice. The idea of spending money on something that will spend most of the time sitting around doing nothing isn't a great return of investment. The park won't always run two trains so also adds to the storage space.

7 minutes ago, pin142 said:

Why? I don't get why this should be the next manufacturer when there are so many other companies that do great rides yet to be represented in Australia. 

I was making a joke because everyone always goes, I want a B&M in Australia. Me personally would rather another quality Intamin coaster. But thats just my opinion.

Love they despite us waiting for quite a long time for all this, they just announced everything at once, spent time to do up a video showing it all off. At first I wasnt a massive fan of the name itself, but the theme/story of it I really do like, and a worthy theme for the attraction. As said, it really is a battle between joker and batman, with mentions of other characters throughout the queue/pre-lift hill. In regards to the name, it isn't exactly something that people could say as iconic, like how superman, green lantern, etc is. But if you say 'rival' to me at this stage it doesn't instantly make me think of the coaster. But I do think it suits the theme they are going for.

The stats are great, and the speed this will get to will br insane through those twists and turns. And I really like how why've highlighted key moments, such as the non-inverting loop (something the GP may not be familiar too) and calling it a hypercoaster in its offical name. Very glad they delt with the colour debate.

And we now know why there are four queue lanes, forward, backwards, fast track, single rider. The backwards would be insane, and definitely would only be for the real brave ones. I will try backwards out, but probably not until a few rides going forward. I don't think they need to have a full train backwards or even more seats, because some people prefer to ride normally from the back, and it may slow queue times down, especially if one of more popular than the other. 

The joker head at the top of the lift hill is a very cool touch, and if the mouth moves, that would be awesome. And really glad they are putting a foot bridge in. I assume you will walk between the posts which didn't have the fence installed, will be a perfect place for some photos of the coaster.

Overall, very very excited for this, very glad it's been announced, and from the hype everyone and most news pages on FB have posted about it, the GP are also very excited too. MWs FB post alone has gotten 1.1 million views so far.

Edited by themagician

5 hours ago, themagician said:

Very glad they delt with the colour debate.

Oh, but have they? ;)

5 hours ago, themagician said:

And we now know why there are four queue lanes, forward, backwards, fast track, single rider. The backwards would be insane, and definitely would only be for the real brave ones. I will try backwards out, but probably not until a few rides going forward. I don't think they need to have a full train backwards or even more seats, because some people prefer to ride normally from the back, and it may slow queue times down, especially if one of more popular than the other. 

But why? Did Tower of Terror suddenly lose popularity when they reversed the train? Does Mick Doohan dispatch with empty seats in the unpopular rows? No & No.

If the train was half and half, people who cared would choose, and people who didn't care would choose whichever queue was shorter, which would naturally even things out.

Many coasters around the world either face backwards, or have backwards travelling elements - including scooby. I guarantee we will look back at this discussion in a few years, saying 'why did people make such a big deal out of it?'

Personally I think the backwards facing is a great idea, but do wish they'd have added more than a single row.

That look of Joker's face as you lay on your back flying down the first drop!

56 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

What are the confirmed characters being featured in the ride apart from the joker?

Just a guess, but I'd expect all the major JL characters and their rivals to play a part, apart from maybe Aquaman and/or Cyborg. So Batman and Joker (obviously), Superman and Lex Luthor (could be Brainiac/Bizarro/Zod instead), GL and Sinestro, WW and Cheetah, Flash and Professor Zoom (this could possibly be Captain Cold or Grodd instead), potentially Aquaman and Black Manta.

Oh...wow ! :D Honestly...everything they revealed in the video is a huge win in my book. First of all the shaping of the first drop: Being a regular rider of Expedition GeForce I can tell you that the shaping is absolutely sublime. Sooo many people love the combination of the super steepness and the twist :wub: Then you`ll ge the huge airtime hill after the first drop and those little bunny hills close to the end...that adds so much to the parts of the layout we already knew, right? And the backwards seats? What an opputunity to get a whole different ride experience from what will already be a fantastic coaster ! No one will have to ride it like that...of course...but what an addition & extra kick for the brave! If it would be a neck breaker, Mack wouldn`t have done it...I absolutely trust Mack in that. So: I think you got the jackpot guys! All these things in combination with the sublime Mack trains? With lapbars only? I`m sold... :D

7 hours ago, themagician said:

MWs FB post alone has gotten 1.1 million views so far.

With now over 1.3 million views and 70 thousand comments of people tagging friends saying how excited they are, i think MW would be more then pleased with the exposure and response it has gotten on the first day.

Edited by Ryande16

This immediately looks like it will be in my top 10 of coasters. Love the paint job, the backwards seats (I'll give it a go just to see what it's like, but imagine it'd be better forwards), the twist on the drop reminds me of the Pepsi Max Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach (one of my top 10)...

If I could nitpick (and I definitely can, and will), I would say "another DC ride?" (like many people here). Seriously, this will be the fourth DC coaster at the park (with the remaining two coasters being a kids coaster and Scooby - both still excellent coasters, my son loved the Road Runner Coaster). There are only two major thrill rides at the park which aren't DC-themed (Scooby and Wild West Falls). I would have liked to see this coaster be something else, with some cool theming etc.

But that's nitpicking - let's face it, who's going to pay attention to theming on something like this? Yes, we may have to pay a little to ride at the back (like the VR on AA, which I stupidly didn't try last time I was at MW), but I'll give it a go once. I still like the look of Icon at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, simply because it goes in and around so many other rides (which you kinda need to do at BPB). This looks like it uses the space well, looks like it should be an excellent coaster, and should hopefully kick the competition into gear a little bit (hint hint Dreamworld).

I am just so BEYOND shook. I randomly stumbled upon this site yesterday morning around 11:50 and was perusing the hypercoaster construction thread and saw a recent flurry of posts which alerted me to the impending announcement. I then proceeded over to Movie World's Facebook page and saw the video uploaded literally minutes before. I had never clicked a video THAT fast. Immediately I had goosebumps and shivers running my spine. That deep masculine voiceover, the pristine visuals, the CGI of the actual coaster in motion and then getting to witness the train design and the Joker at the top of the lift hill were all too much for my little body to handle, i was SHOOK TO MY CORE. But then the climax came when the "you can ride it...backwards" announcement came. Oh LORDT i was shooketh

Movie World, I want to thank you from the bottom of my happy heart from all of us in the coaster community for bringing this world class rollercoaster to Australia. Yesterday i bought 4 VIP passes for my family to enjoy to celebrate this groundbreaking event and to show appreciation to my favourite theme park for STEPPING UP THEIR TITTIES and delivering something revolutionary for us. Other local parks should take note because i don't see a bright future for some of them with Movie World taking the clear front lead ahead of the competition....

tea.thumb.jpg.42734059e283866e9bca0a5a6390cd08.jpg

With 1.4 million views on Facebook, approaching 100 000 combined views on youtube and then other social media pages (twitter, instagram) and word of mouth taken into account, this coaster is doing just the trick for Movie World. And some of you thought they were stupid for leaving the announcement this late. Actually, i think they were rather smart. Look at all the hype they built up! And then, BAM! Millions of views in one day!

Haha @SHOOKETH your wild enthusiasm takes me back to a certain crazed fan that immerged when Superman opened😂 Good for you!

It will certainly be the pride of the Park, significantly expanding the footprint and adding some always appreciated extra capacity of a few thousand happy riders every day.

I can't wait to be among the first to ride -Traditional forward facing first and backwards as soon as possibly after!!

49 minutes ago, djmcbell said:

If I could nitpick (and I definitely can, and will), I would say "another DC ride?" (like many people here). Seriously, this will be the fourth DC coaster at the park (with the remaining two coasters being a kids coaster and Scooby - both still excellent coasters, my son loved the Road Runner Coaster).

You sound like you're surprised...

I liked more of the reveal shots, except for that shaky drone footage. Was like watching an epileptic kid in an earthquake filming on a potato. 

(I'm joking, it's really good. I kind of want a drone but would never use it. You did real good. And I really hope that was your footage else I've just offended some random media company 🤘)