DC Rivals HyperCoaster Announcement

Perhaps Backwards riding will be available only on the unlimited gold Fast-track option. Where each fast-track holder is entitled to ride backwards once using fast-track, but unlimited rides using fast-track in the normal seats?

similar to Arkham VR, each unlimited fast-track holder gets 1 free VR experience, the ride op then marks off on the armband that it has been used.  

Edited by rac2703

15 minutes ago, Richard said:

Hard to make out in the low res shot but while the support structure is obviously not the finished product, that's definitely non-inverting.

loop.jpg.46b6a4769fb125c4a584d31e9704f390.jpg

That loop looks a lot like a Maurer non-inverting loop and not so much an Intamin, which is great since the more of a curve around the top will hopefully provide some decent airtime.

6 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I know its a money spinner, but i'd be incredibly happy for MW to leave DCRHC off their fast pass program at least for the first 6 months... in fairness to all, its clearly going to be popular - why inflate the queue even further with someone riding it back to back all day?

I agree that they need to manage the demand for this ride very carefully but I'd go the other way. Make it a premium upcharge. $10-20 on top of the top tier Fast Track for a single skip-the-queue for the hyper. One per person per day. Failing that then open the ride an hour early exclusively for a new ~$100 top tier Fast Track pass.

Prime opportunity for them to unveil a season Fast Track pass. $500ish gets you a single skip-the-queue per ride per visit.

with a limited number of passes available I hope?

I can see it now - they sell 4000 of them to a demographic that is able to visit everyday. based on the capacity of the ride - very unhappy customers. lol.

For the first busy period, a premium upcharge would only piss people off further, but i can't disagree too strongly with your reasons.

Either way, I agree - they will need to manage the demand VERY carefully.

I think the back seat will be an upcharge of $25 p/p. I think it's going to be a lot more than what most people think. I mean, look at it this way. The demand, especially in the first few months and probably for a good few years, is going to be massive. Every thrill seeker is going to want to try the back seat. So MW will be in a position to essentially charge what they will. They won't go TOO high but it'll definitely be more than $10, and i'd be willing to put bets on it being $20+. 

15 minutes ago, Santa07 said:

I could see it being $5 - same price as VR seems about right. 10 at most.

Although I don't like the idea of any charge, if they did put one on I think the way you suggest is the best option. I guess if they didn't you would get every fourth person saying to the attendants "can I wait for the back" and then some other people saying "I don't want to go backwards". 

Backwards should totally be included in a fastpass.  Saves disappointment and pain all around.  Get one ride in an entire fastpass deal, like $50.  I'd pay that for a guaranteed backwards ride (allocated timeslot) and a few rides forward with minimal waiting.  That's what people who are on holiday do, I've done it on Universal Studios visits.

You can have a backwards queue too, sell half the capacity on fastpasses though.

Will I buy a fastpass without the hypercoaster being included?  No way.  This is easily their best chance to make fastpass sales and also provide a massive benefit that is actually worth paying for.

They're going to make way more money out of bundling it than putting in place a small upcharge.  And induce more fastpass sales because of it.  More people using fastpass means more reason to buy a fastpass as well.

Would it be too late for MW to increase the last carriage to 4 backwards riders now that its been identified that there's a higher than initially thought demand for backwards seating? Or would the cars already be in full production and too late to change? Seems weird that the last car is only 2 riders when all the other cars are 4 riders.

There are many cases where the 'fast track' pass at parks doesn't qualify for special seats. 

Many don't let you use the fast track pass for the front row. I see this will be no different here. If you want the premium seat (back or front) you have to wait like everyone else. That's the best system. Anyone who says differently is a very selfish person. 

As for Fast Track in generak for Rivals I would say I very much like the idea of an add on for this. $15, single ride, and only available with the purchase of a park wide Fast Track pass. 

Magic Mountain do this for X and it works well. 

3 hours ago, Redboost said:

Would it be too late for MW to increase the last carriage to 4 backwards riders now that its been identified that there's a higher than initially thought demand for backwards seating? Or would the cars already be in full production and too late to change? Seems weird that the last car is only 2 riders when all the other cars are 4 riders.

Absolutely too late. Wouldn't be surprised if the trains were in shipping containers in the middle of the Atlantic, or sitting in a dock in Germany awaiting departure.

how are you judging that demand for backwards seats is higher than initially thought? 

Not many people knew about backwards seats 72hrs ago..

Edited by Brad2912

On 08/06/2017 at 6:57 PM, Redboost said:

Would it be too late for MW to increase the last carriage to 4 backwards riders now that its been identified that there's a higher than initially thought demand for backwards seating?

What are we basing this "initially thought demand" on?

It's somewhat apparent from the station layout that the back row will have its own queue. You know what will happen when that queue reaches a certain length? People will skip it and join the main queue or find something else to ride. It's kind of how rides have worked for a century or so...

4 hours ago, Redboost said:

I believe and answer I had for a different question would suit here.

Answer I got is that if the last carriage had a 2nd last row of seats they may collide heat rests with the carriage in front (last forward facing seats) when it goes through its tight dips and twists.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Firstly, what are we basing this "initially thought demand" on? And then, why would the solution to an incredibly anticipated feature be to scrap it?

It's somewhat apparent from the station layout that the back row will have its own queue. You know what will happen when that queue reaches a certain length? People will skip it and join the main queue or find something else to ride. It's kind of how rides have worked for a century or so...

I've never said that the backwards feature should be scrapped, merely suggesting that its capacity could be doubled if the coaster cars were not yet finalised. While yes, I'll admit there is no concrete figure to base demand upon, but judging by the fact that the backwards seating seems so limited that people are actually talking about it being an upcharge and or even a VIP exclusive option, that would suggest that 2 seats is not enough to fulfil demand. I would think that if you are going to sell a feature such as backwards seating,  you'd try to give people as much of a chance to experience it in a reasonable fashion rather than limiting it to a point where demand critically exceeds supply.

Two reasons that doesn't work @Redboost. Firstly they can't physically put a second backwards row in. You'll notice in the renderings that it's the exact same chassis as the other carriages. All they've done is switched the first row of seats around and removed the second row because there's nowhere to put it. In order to keep engineering requirements and costs reasonable they're working within the confines of their existing, rigorously tested technology.

Secondly you're expecting people to want to queue for considerably longer to experience the backwards seats, but then have half being forced to ride with an obstructed view? That sort of defeats much of the purpose of the experience. It's a good way to upset half of those willing to queue longer. 

Or you know what? you've just bought the most expensive ride in the park's history - don't cheap out. Buy two trains. Commit to run both of them every day. have one completely forwards, one completely backwards, and save money by not needing four queues - you can just have two.

I kinda feel like theres some long-distance-train-seat technology that could be used here - have each seating row about to pivot to face backwards or something. I get the 'working within existing technology' thing, and its complete pipe dream, i know. i know its unrealistic.

I'm just so very disappointed that based on the park's track record, it will probably be several years before the queue for the back row is short enough for me to be able to ride it.