Will DC Rivals Hypercoaster further erode Dreamworld's attendance?

SHOOKETH

Will DC Rivals Hypercoaster further erode Dreamworld's attendance?   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Will DC Rivals Hypercoaster further erode Dreamworld's attendance?

• Yes, potentially.
    • Maybe, hard to say
    • No, not really

We swap each financial year between VRTP and Dreamworld passes, due to swap over to Dreamworld ones in a few weeks but the new coaster definitely has got us sticking with VRTP for another year.

While updating Tiger Island, Corroboree, food areas etc is pleasing to the eye, it isn't enough to draw us back in when the alternative is a new coaster....and that's even with young kids who aren't tall enough to enjoy a lot of rides yet (oldest was only just tall enough for Road Runner before her 5th birthday).

9 minutes ago, AlexB said:

No - everything is relative.

That's right @pushbutton Unless your smarter than Einstein now E = MC2.:P

4 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Road Runner height restriction has recently increased - so depending on when her birthday is, she might have to grow a bit more before she can ride again...

Why do MW & DW heights vary so much?

For what it's worth, I actually do agree that Dreamworld could do with a decent coaster as well as (not instead of) other new attractions. However it would need to be something significantly different to the hypercoaster at Movie World.

It's highly unlikely a new coaster at Dreamworld would be better than, or even as good as DC Rivals, and I don't think they should even try for it to be. However a large coaster that offers a different kind of experience, or indeed something that's not a coaster but a major non-flat ride nevertheless, could pull the crowds. I'm thinking maybe a wooden "runaway train" type of coaster.

Something like the "Soarin" attraction at Disney World Epcot centre would also be something I think could be a great addition to Dreamworld, and very different to anything at the Village parks.

Edited by pushbutton

we don't want a Eurofighter when there are so many others out there to choose from. something different.

And @pushbutton - for once I agree with you - they need an answer to the Hyper, but the answer isn't to copy (or attempt to) - they need a completely different direction, and for my money - the park is both ripe for, and well suited to a full circuit woodie \ hybrid.

I'm not too big on a eurofighter for DW, when you can get a Mack big dipper that is just as compact, but combines inversions with a bit of airtime (and lapbars!)

44 minutes ago, SHOOKETH said:

The parks heavily rely on locals though. Their business is 70% locals. Locals aint going back in a hurry to ride the Cyclone, sorry the "Sidewinder". 

So was it Dreamworld's CEO or marketing manager that gave you that figure?

Seriously dude, your Dreamworld hating is really making me believe you're another POP alt. Let me guess, you're anti-Sea World too?

Edited by Santa07

Another possibility for Dreamworld would perhaps be something similar to "Oblivion" at Alton Towers.

The "hanging over the edge" type of seating, and the rush into what appears to be an underground tunnel, plus the fact you get wet in the process, all make it very different to anything at Movie World (although admittedly Sea World has the getting wet part with "Storm".

Yet another possibility would be if they could create something like "Hex" at Alton Towers. It's not a rollercoaster at all, but an incredible experience. I have been on it twice. It has a great story to it, and I honestly couldn't tell whether I was moving, or the room was, or both! That is of course the intention of the ride. It is certainly very dreamlike.

1 minute ago, pushbutton said:

Another possibility for Dreamworld would perhaps be something similar to "Oblivion" at Alton Towers.

The "hanging over the edge" type of seating, and the rush into what appears to be an underground tunnel, plus the fact you get wet in the process, all make it very different to anything at Movie World (although admittedly Sea World has the getting wet part with "Storm".

Yeah DW have enough one-trick ponies already, a dive coaster just adds another to their collection. A mad-house would be okay if done right.

If Dreamworld don't want to spend a lot of money, Intamin make a tilt version of the giant drop.  They could update one or both sides of the ride to be be a face-first drop.

It definitely wouldn't be enough of a draw-card on its own, but it would be the new 'big thrill' that they could promote while they built some new attractions to replace GoldRush, and it would be much cheaper than a Dive Coaster for the same effect.

I would love to see a Hybrid Woody, a new Wild Mouse (to replace Eureka) and a new dark water ride (to replace TRR)... but all of those things are expensive and Ardent are cheap.

I Like The Oblivion idea but, I think what would be a better fit is either a wing coaster or a flying coaster, 

if they went wing coaster they could do like a swarm at Thorpe park with lots of near miss effects, wing over Drop, a few loops and you could go other the lake and water splashes you.

if they went flying coaster they could clean up the river/ lake thingy and it could fly over it and there could be a bridge over to the island thing in the middle and that's where the rides station is, it could have water splashing on you, pretzel loop and could have a few zero g rolls.

Nah put in something like Mystery Mine at Dollywood. A great indoor coaster (it's possibly a Gerstlauer, CBF'd googling lol) which could be done for about $20 million rather than the $30 million AT LEAST they'd be up for with a B&M. It would also fit perfectly into the Gold Rush section.

Edited by SHOOKETH

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Road Runner height restriction has recently increased - so depending on when her birthday is, she might have to grow a bit more before she can ride again...

Oh thanks I didn't know that, we haven't been she hasn't been on it since it was down for maintenence. She's 107cm so looks like she has to wait again for it 

Mystery mine was OK. You can see the difference between it and the newer ones.

Sort of felt like they were trying to still be a bit wild mouse ish with some of the stuff they duid on that one, with the newer eurofighters being more like a regular looping coaster.

Gold Rush at Slagharen looks interesting, but at the same time, and would be good for the park, but it's still no Hyper, so whatever they do has to kind of capture the imagination of the public.

I think AlexBs suggestion of an RMC is best, and one of the few things that would come close to a hyper.

Is there even such thing as RMC hybrid outside of the US? 

12 minutes ago, Gazza said:

Mystery mine was OK. You can see the difference between it and the newer ones.

Sort of felt like they were trying to still be a bit wild mouse ish with some of the stuff they duid on that one, with the newer eurofighters being more like a regular looping coaster.

Gold Rush at Slagharen looks interesting, but at the same time, and would be good for the park, but it's still no Hyper, so whatever they do has to kind of capture the imagination of the public.

I think AlexBs suggestion of an RMC is best, and one of the few things that would come close to a hyper.

Why would they build another buzzsaw?

I think a big part of dreamworlds attendance issue is the fact it's still fresh on people's minds  and that they havent removed thunder river yet  they need to remove this ASAP to really wipe it from existence and construct something new and exciting somthing that really has wow factor that will draw people back 

Edited by Themeparkfan

I think going down the path of targeting families is the right one... For the time being. But I totally get the argument for the other way around and find myself switching sides of the argument. 

I think their way back is wiping out the TRR & Mine Ride, move the vintage cars up to that area, convert the whole area to one consistent theme, I like the idea of early colonial Australia. But do it ASAP. Plus add a Windseeker, it would be impressive and get something in quick. 

Add a big family attraction like Fire Chaser Express at Dollywood 

**As an aside I'd love some of those effects in their fire room to pop up in WWF

Then finally compete with MW for the BIG coaster, I like an RMC woodie. But I like the idea of Dive or Wing coaster. I know there's the argument for gimmicky, but if you had something like Shreika you still get some airtime and a loop... And just think, you might not rate it as good as the Hyper, but all the gp will see is a HUGE coaster that has heaps of people sitting in the front row dangling off the edge... And at the end of the day that's all that matters in this do the GP love it and buy tickets. 

Edited by Original

• Richard changed the title to Will DC Rivals Hypercoaster further erode Dreamworld's attendance?