Backwards row - DC Rivals HyperCoaster

I'm personally pretty keen to ride the coaster backwards when I get the chance,  and I'll definitely go forwards as well. What I don't understand is, if this has never been done before on a coaster of this size, why are people complaining? It may be a really good and actually give quite a different experience than the forwards facing seats. I personally wouldn't complain about it until I experienced the whole ride, in both backwards and forward facing seats. 

Edited by Sarm

^ Well said, Sam. No complaints from me either. The question I was going to ask is:

Is anyone considering riding this Backwards FIRST?

Most of the comments I've read are, "I'll definitely ride it backwards AFTER I've ridden it forwards a couple of times", but are we potentially missing out on a truly unique experience by not riding backwards first?? Riding forwards first will definitely 'ease the intensity' of your first backwards ride, and I just got to thinking, once you've ridden forwards, you can't go back (pun not even a pun in this instance) and thought I'd put it out there to those who love unique thrills, don't discount the idea of going backwards for your first DC Rivals ride.  DC Rivals Forwards is going to be an awesome ride, but riding it Backwards 'virgin' won't be an option afterwards!

(Just drunken Strop's 2 cent's worth!)

4 hours ago, iwerks said:

Has anyone actually ridden a coaster backwards?

I rode Le Vampire (Batman clone) at La Ronde backwards. It was great but my only issue that I had was not knowing where I was going I wasn't able to adjust my head to stop the dreaded head banging between the restraints.

I've also ridden The Racer at King's Island backwards which was really cool as the train next to us that we "raced" was facing forwards. They had timed it so that our train was slightly ahead of the forwards facing train so we could always see each other.

The closest thing I've actually done to riding a coaster backwards is Winjas at Phantasialand which has a backwards section if you seat at the back since it's the way Maurer spinning cars are made. It goes from the start of the coaster to the hairpin turns where the coaster starts spinning. Winjas is obviously no Mack Hyper and while I found riding the first section backwards fun enough, I still prefer riding forwards and seeing the track ahead.

What makes DC Rivals' backwards row even more intriguing is the supposed intensity of the layout. Judging by the construction, and based on comparisions with other Mack I've ridden (Alpina, and especially Helix), some transitions will be among the snappiest Mack has ever attempted.

20170607_133642.thumb.jpg.52420f75fe1aae

On this picture for example, not only the S-turn looks pretty snappy already, it is built at a much lower height than the Stengel Dive it follows. With the supposed very fast pace the train will go through this element, we could expect really a really surprising turn at the back. Not seeing what comes next means you'll pretty certainly getting thrown around a couple of times!

However the first drop is arguably the most exciting element to ride backwards (again). Getting sucked into a steep drop with a twist, backwards sounds like a really wild dream! I actually found a cool reverse POV of Expedition GeForce, which features a much similar twisted drop, to show you what DC Rivals' drop could be:

DC Rivals' train is a little shorter than EGF's so the airtime will probably end up a little softer than of the German Intamin Mega, but it should still be pretty intense nonetheless! Also note the snappy hill towards the middle of the layout which resembles one of Rivals' hills.

Edited by Coaster Hipster

On 18/06/2017 at 11:02 AM, Gazza said:

Does TOT even reach anywhere near 160 any more?

It doesn’t have to reach 161km/hr to beat Rivals it only needs to go 115.1km/hr

The GD is 119 high so it only need to go 2 metres past halfway of the tower to beat Rivals.

If the ToT still beats these stats and I don’t know if it does, then it would be great if DW grew a set and disputed MW claims.  DW should run an ad campaign. “Still the fastest” “Still The tallest” "First to go Backwards"

Umm don't you think that would sound just a tinsy bit desperate Skeet?  Trying to pitch an aging ToT against this would be a low road for DW to take imo. 

Showcasing the Park as an overall more complete experience with plenty of everything for everyone will help keep them in the game - and pretty soon with an exciting blindfold upcharge for rides like ToT, what better way to compete... right? 😆

Yeah, but that's kind of like saying that the first stock factory camry off the production line is the sleekest fastest biggest and roomiest 2017 Camry in the world...

however - that argument also works that it's the slowest, shortest and only hypercoaster in the southern hemisphere.

4 hours ago, MickeyD said:

Showcasing the Park as an overall more complete experience with plenty of everything for everyone will help keep them in the game - and pretty soon with an exciting blindfold upcharge for rides like ToT, what better way to compete... right? 😆

When people are terrified on thrill rides they close their eyes in an attempt to make the ride less terrifying, blindfolds are very similar to closing your eyes.

I struggle to see how blindfolds will create a more intense experience. It's a great idea to open the park at night with all their "big 9" thrill rides running, but the blindfolds are unnecessary in my opinion, although hopefully they will get DW some extra money.

Edited by Sarm

4 hours ago, Sarm said:

When people are terrified on thrill rides they close their eyes in an attempt to make the ride less terrifying, blindfolds are very similar to closing your eyes.

I struggle to see how blindfolds will create a more intense experience. It's a great idea to open the park at night with all their "big 9" thrill rides running, but the blindfolds are unnecessary in my opinion, although hopefully they will get DW some extra money.

Have you ever done a ride with your eyes shut? It's pretty terrifying.

• 3 months later...