DC Superheroes & Super-Villians event at Movie World

Oh, and for those who don't like reading small writing, here's a close up on the shipping container and what it's offering - a new upcharge option for kids to get a complete Hero or Villain makeover for $59 😮

From the fine print underneath, it does appear to have an age limit on it though (2-13 I think? My phone won't zoom in enough haha) 😛

20170622_160417.thumb.jpg.e0c603cf67057e4026f695244b84fc90.jpg

12 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Flash I would imagine is the speed force, pretty happy with it tbh... 

That makes more sense, guess I'm just more used to it being represented as blue from the TV show. Point on WW still stands though, even Supergirl would've been a better alternative. WW would've better suited an island or something.

Edited by Santa07

Penguin is back! Along with many other classic Batman Villians and Superheroes 😁  Everyone is really getting into the atmosphere, people dressed up everywhere ☺️

20170624_111213.thumb.jpg.1963b49cb23e4c46bd13f4ce84ee4c13.jpg

20170624_111141.thumb.jpg.5ba5c365fc9d8580cfdee537e80a1a03.jpg

20170624_111606.thumb.jpg.6c3b8a18362bb7c22f0b3ab92a9dd852.jpg

20170624_111730.thumb.jpg.6d79cb48926507ef4a01306bc9c706ed.jpg

20170624_111755.thumb.jpg.f7217ce868acefd98c8727fa82596945.jpg

There's stacks of new daily shows and photo appearances too 👍

20170624_112556.thumb.jpg.bc34f60d8af9fe204b96e5421c3a895a.jpg

20170624_112640.thumb.jpg.2259d6483a26f05933560541bab71747.jpg

Oh, and they are playing music and theme songs from all the relevant shows and movies down main street too, instead of the usual pop music 👍

Why anyone would dislike that post I have no idea... @SHOOKETH whoever you are..

they have really gone above and beyond, can't wait to check out the new shows/entertainment, and great to see the return of some classic characters

my only problem is... and it's a big one for me... who the hell proof read that character appearance times sheet?? 

They spelt character wrong every time on the sheet (*edit* no they didn't, im an idiot), they spelt appearance wrong (that's the first 2 words typed on the page spelt wrong!!!)

Edited by Brad2912

2 hours ago, SHOOKETH said:

Regardless, the event looks nice although the use of the 90's Batman costumes feels a little weird to me. I'm so used to seeing MW base all their appearances based on the actual comic franchises that seeing a Danny Devito Penguin instantly makes me think back to all those old souvenir videos on Youtube. Riddler's Lair, anyone?

Some photos from yesterday :) 

IMG_9600.thumb.jpg.2ea5f77b709a8f1a91118c590d5c28d0.jpgIMG_9674.thumb.jpg.f02935a83ec0c0927f774384319f82d1.jpgIMG_9879.thumb.jpg.c84d7061d4300f20e2c3e61b0f570c02.jpgIMG_9939.thumb.jpg.535a75259bd3d8d7f1fb08487e717a6f.jpgIMG_9878.thumb.jpg.1120669c956c1ff7b6551b408c2ef91f.jpgIMG_9856.thumb.jpg.39c7dd2219ae002781ceaee8df9eab64.jpg

Oh and because why not... Looney Tunes! IMG_9790.thumb.jpg.e092cb630c72251ed90e2f0b7269c470.jpg

On 6/22/2017 at 4:28 PM, Theme Park Girl said:

From the fine print underneath, it does appear to have an age limit on it though (2-13 I think? My phone won't zoom in enough haha) 😛

20170622_160417.thumb.jpg.e0c603cf67057e4026f695244b84fc90.jpg

Seeing you didn't mention this on your update yesterday

It said children are 3-10 had to supervised by an adult while it happens 

Edited by Adventures With JWorld

a few photos from last night, and today. Have heaps of photos of the parade, but to be honest with only a sony point and shoot in my photographic arsenal, and low/variable light conditions, most are not of the quality that i would upload here (when we have so many skilled photographers that will do much better!!)

Awesome to see the original and forever batmobiles out and about, and really enjoyed some of the new entertainment offerings, especially the penguin/catwoman interactions.

With multiple superheroes & villains available non-stop throughout the day, i think MW deserves as massive applause for what they have put together.

DSC05819.JPG

DSC05843.JPG

DSC05839.JPG

DSC05852.JPG

DSC05906.JPG

My take on today's event (or yesterday's given it's past midnight) ok let's just call it Sunday's event.

---***---

IMAG0001.thumb.jpg.d9702203fc6588e5600e32d868db9798.jpg

Do you remember the last time Warner Bros. Movie World had Super Heroes & Super Villains en-masse in park? It was 2010 for the 75 year DC anniversary. Do you remember that? I don’t. I wasn’t there, but I’ve seen videos on YouTube and it looked pretty cool.

Anyway, the Super Heroes & Super Villains are back for the new, and aptly named “Super Heroes & Super Villains” event at Movie World. With a name as basic as that you’d be forgiven for thinking I came up with it. Now, lets get the important question out the way first. Do you think this event might give us a clue to the new Hypercoaster theme? Wait, no, we’ve passed that period of “magenta madness” haven’t we?

So what’s this event all about?

Well, Carnivale buggered off to Sea World in January, and Fright Nights isn’t until October, so they needed something to fill the gap, and what better way to make use of the Doomsday/DC Villain main street area, than with a new event?!

The event itself is great. The costumes are on point as you’d expect; the performances are well done (even if a couple of them are just the normal day shows anyway); and the additional theming features some old movie props and a multitude of great photo opportunities.

There are a few different ways in which you could choose to experience this event. The first, and most obvious one being just rock up with a camera for the day. Or maybe you’d prefer to have breakfast at Tiffany’s Rick’s and get some photos taken with different DC characters. You could also go all out and do the “Ultimate Experience” which gets you plenty of inclusions, more on that later. There is also one final pre-purchasable experience targeted to kids called the “Junior Justice League”. I don’t know anything about that as I don’t have kids, but I’m sure Movie World would have made it a great offering to the younger ones.

Electing to take on the “Ultimate Experience”, our day begins with breakfast at Rick’s with character photos available (and they’re free, so you may as well get as many as you can). Is the breakfast good? Well I’m not really a breakfast person, especially at an hour of the day where I’d normally be asleep, so I’m probably not the best person to ask. The available food is the same as what you’d expect at any hotel buffet and the small amount that I did eat tasted quite good.

During breakfast, you’re presented with your VIP lanyard, gift bag (containing a cape, keyring, drink bottle, RFID wristband for the DC Villains area, and a park map with meeting times for certain activities). You also get unlimited fast track, fast photos, and a locker to put everything in for the day.

What are these things to meet for? Well it wouldn’t be a tour without VIP seating for the Hollywood Stunt Driver 2 show, so there’s that. You also get a ride on Arkham fast tracked and using VR if you choose to (unless like today VR breaks down just before you get on the ride), you get a buffet lunch at Rick’s, AND a VIP area to watch the 6pm parade.

We’re probably the type of guest the park loves. We buy the tour, collect our fast track bands, then spend most of the day wandering around taking photos instead of utilising the queue jumping goodness of fast track. It’s easy money for them. We did go on 4 rides, and, side note, Scooby was looking quite dark today which was great to see given its current condition.

Having seen the stunt show so many times, we gave it a miss. Missing it is something I certainly won’t be doing when it eventually leaves the park. A day that can’t come soon enough.

Lunch at Rick’s was exactly that. The standard pizza & pasta buffet offering. The food is great there and well worth the money. Speaking of money, looking at everything you get in the “Ultimate Experience” it really is good value for money. Buying everything separately, you’d be looking at around $160-170. The “Ultimate Experience” ticket is now selling at the reduced price of $100, so that’s a pretty decent saving.

The other main selling point of this event is the parade. Now the parade itself is great and there’s more characters and performances than the normal parade, but what wasn’t great was the one thing that detracts from the overall “VIP Experience”. That was the viewing area for the parade. It was a very odd choice to place this up in the main square when the majority of the action happened down outside the Roxy Theatre. Fortunately knowing this, we skipped the VIP area and found ourselves seats on the kerb and had a great view of the shows.

That kerb though. I’m all for people doing the right thing and keeping the road clear for the performers and floats, but for a couple of the staff, even being as much as the hair on a bee’s knob over the kerb and channel was enough to get told off for being too close. Now you may think I’m talking about standing out on the street to see around the crowd to get photos. No. I’m talking about not even being allowed to have your toes touching the asphalt. Ease up a bit, guys.

Was the experience worth it? Yes.

Would I do it again? Probably not because it’s not marketed as something with repeat-ability.

Actually, let’s be honest here. It’s not really marketed at all. Does Movie World not want people doing this? I don’t recall seeing even one in, or out of park advertisement for it.  

The writing is probably all over the place in this, and I do plan on uploading several photos of the event, however I had 3 hours of sleep before doing this VIP day, and it’s now almost 2am, so just writing this review was a struggle. The photos will come later.

---***---

Not really sure why but was rather disappointed by this event...  I love the idea of the photo area with the superheroes and really hope this is something they introduce for normal day to day use rather than blocking off the top of main street...  I enjoyed watching the 1989 batmobile roll through the park and the Penguin limping around pestering people...  The Poison Ivy and Riddler shows were grabbed right from the 90's which was a nice bit of nostalgia but were performed as if they hadn't been practised since the 90's...  The parade lacked the storyline they said it would have...  The parade from the 75th anniversary of DC was fantastic with a flowing storyline from start to finish ending in a battle between all the heroes and villains...  I get this is year one for what could be the new special event for the park...  I just hope if it continues they throw the same level of theme and spectacle they do for Fright Night and White Christmas...

I will admit, I was very glad to see the operations side of things running very smoothly. Arkham had 2 loaders and a dedicated VR staff member. Superman was running 2 trains (which normally from after xmas holidays until Fright Nights it used to be 1 train operation only), Green lantern running with 2 loaders, sorter and an entry host. Same with Scooby as well. Staff were on the ball and despite a few technical difficulties (Scooby and Superman both went down on the Saturday) they were all doing a great job.

Was happy that the rides were kept open till 6pm as well which made for some great night riding on Superman with no wait for the front row. Overall I thought the parade was alright, it was good to see so many roving characters around as well and for a first attempt it was good but if it becomes a yearly thing I would hope that the standard would improve over time. But for a first run, credit where credit is due :)

19 hours ago, Reanimated35 said:

My take on today's event (or yesterday's given it's past midnight) ok let's just call it Sunday's event.

Not sure why we needed the centered text which made this hard to read. 

What I got from this overly indulgent read was that you didn't care much for the event and are sooo much smarter than both the park and everyone else. 

Fortunately for the park seems most everyone else has very much enjoyed the event. As for no advertising, clearly not the case given how many people are attending. 

11 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Not sure why we needed the centered text which made this hard to read. 

The centre tag worked fine originally for just the title but when the image was added it broke the tags. Thanks to the way the forum software treats the use of BBCode, it hid the tags in the editing view so I wasn't able to change the alignment for the rest of the post. 

13 minutes ago, djrappa said:

What I got from this overly indulgent read was that you didn't care much for the event and are sooo much smarter than both the park and everyone else. 

How so? 

14 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Fortunately for the park seems most everyone else has very much enjoyed the event. As for no advertising, clearly not the case given how many people are attending. 

By the sounds of this, I didn't make it clear enough that I was talking about the Ultimate Experience. The event itself is a great addition to the park and has been advertised well. 

The Ultimate Experience isn't something I'd do more than once, and I don't feel that the experience itself is advertised too well. 

4 minutes ago, Reanimated35 said:

How so?

The overall tone of how you describe better places to watch than they suggest, etc, how they don't do crowd control properly. The comments on marketing. 

Just read as a very 'I hated the event, we're so great because we bought the special passes, park should love us for buying passes and not using them' review to me.