Tops Myer Centre Brisbane Dragon Coaster

alexisl

Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to the Dragon Coaster that was at Tops in the Myer Centre in Brisbane about 17 years ago? Apparently it got turned into a train with wheels for fetes, but I can't find any info on it after 2006. I'd love to know where it is now! 

Yeah it seems to have been dead end from that point. That page was:

Magic Dragon Ride - Accomodates adults and children - Up to 36 passengers - 4 wheel drive, articulated tow unit - Battery powered - Will run all day on one charge, and recharge overnight - Heavy duty forklift traction batteries - Variable speed - 4 wheel steering on all carriages - Tracks perfectly - Video tape of ride in operation available.

Tops1.jpg.54242af09ecae8c517d3d749bbb3fb78.jpgTops2.jpg.a3b0c9bfb9a94d3e1cad543fc3ec3b6e.jpg

I don't want to admit it, but I think we may have hit a dead end. I finally worked out how to look at old websites and found the number on the listing for it. The number used to be for Maleny Jumping Castles that don't seem to exist anymore (makes sense that he would have other amusement rides), but now the number belongs to someone with a different name in an aged care facility. I can't find any Facebook page or details for the seller's name either. It's so frustrating because obviously someone knows what happened to it. I hate to think it would be lying in a rusty pile somewhere but probably I need to give up on finding it. Would've been so nice to show my kids something that has so many nice memories attached to it. Thanks for your help anyway!! If you ever find out anything about it, keep me in mind!! 😊

• Like 1

Found this old photo of the track and an article on the tops theme park at myer if anyone is interested in taking a look but sadly can't find information past its closure.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/brisbanes-favourite-play-spaces-remembered/news-story/c3d67787674ead0fc6bbf686c94ec3ab

Also an article on Dazzaland theme park in the adelaide myer centre which unfortunately closed too if anyone is curious to read about this.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/city/my-life-as-the-king-of-dazzeland/news-story/3eeaf787a2376012722048c69a9ab5f1

6683696155_3e9f7d4ef3_b.jpg

• 6 months later...

I am pretty sure that the Silly Serpent and the coaster from Tops Myer Brisbane are 2 distinct , different coasters. RCDB lists the Silly Serpent as a Zamperla powered coaster that arrived at the park in 2001. The layout for both coasters are far different to each other. RCDB lists the Jazz Junction model from Adelaide as being a Zamperla powered coaster with a custom layout, and the one from Tops Brisbane was essentially the same coaster. Its possible that they did utilise the train from the Tops model and purchase a new track but i feel that this is unlikely. The timeframes listed on RCDB do match up however, being that it is stated that the Tops coaster ran until 2001 and the LPM Silly Serpent arrived in the park in 2001 but this could be a happy co-incidence. I have nothing to offer as concrete evidence to this however ,  other than my own speculation and I am happy for other information to come to light to say otherwise.

Yeah the LPM one is just a standard oval type layout with a helix, semi transportable and sits on a base frame. Look on Google maps.

The myer center one is custom, with supports from the building columns.

Plus the trains have different structures.

I think the LPM dragon has been there earlier than 2001...ive ridden it as a kid in 1997 or earlier.

Screenshot_20180204-153216.jpg

• Like 1

The fibreglass mould for the first carriage varies between LPM's version and Brisbane's one.

I'd put money on it being Rob Croft's conversion that never worked out as planned. Good idea in theory but as the article alluded to, it'd have a pretty high centre of gravity for the relatively small axle that was originally designed for Zamperla's track guage and thus quite painful to operate off-track.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I doubt that LPM operates the original coaster. Unlike that model the track appearance on the Tops model is substantially more different than the LPM one... look at the trusses on the track of the Tops coaster - and the lack of them on the LPM version. Also the supports on both coasters are different, on the Tops model the supports are attached onto the building, whereas on LPM's model the supports are a big giant web of steel supports that do not in any way resemble the supports of either of the Myer Centre coasters.

lpm_ss.jpg.811ca8d38bd345c9f4a3b3a2f63d9d65.jpg

Edited by XxMrYoshixX