Tops Myer Centre Brisbane Dragon Coaster

alexisl

1 hour ago, djrappa said:

I don't undertand how people get so nostalgic over things that were crap :P

Really? You have never been nostalgic for something that not everyone understands the reason for?  People have nostalgic feelings for different reasons- something touched them, it meant something when they were young , it reminds them of a special time or person in their life etc etc.

Whether or not it was in reality was crap doesn’t matter. Nostalgia still brings about those warm fuzzy memories. 

I am sure that some of the things I remember fondly would be looked at with surprise but that’s what makes us all different I guess. 

😊

Ok apologies if my point wasn't explained well... You can be nostalgic for something and have fond memories of it, sure, we are all different so that's natural.

What I more meant is when people manifest that into "we demand this is brought back" ala this dragon coaster, Dreamworld Mine Ride, etc..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, djrappa said:

Ok apologies if my point wasn't explained well... You can be nostalgic for something and have fond memories of it, sure, we are all different so that's natural.

What I more meant is when people manifest that into "we demand this is brought back" ala this dragon coaster, Dreamworld Mine Ride, etc..

.. funny when nostalgic moments are brought back from the grave, the reality of it is all to often bound to disappoint. As much as we would love these things to be as magical as they were at that special moment in time, most of us would rather paint on a fake smile and do our best to hide the disappointment in actuality!

Who on here went back to Disneyland as an Adult and said, 'gee I remember that Castle looking so much bigger?'

I have treasured childhood memories of Magic Mountain on the Gold Coast and oh what I would give for a chance to ride the Paratower or Waveswinger over the edge of that cliff once more..

Even if I could I reckon the romance of nostalgia would be shut down by the reality of it and suddenly that treasured memory would be all but forgotten.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

First time post with something that maybe some Brisbanites might be interested in. 

It’s not quite a roller coaster... 

Did you grow up in Brisbane in the 90's? Remember Top's at the Myer Centre? 

You can have a piece of Brisbane's history in your backyard....

A rope bridge acquired from Tops when it closed in 2000 has been part of the playground at Yeronga Park Kindergarten. It has been removed to make way for a new playground, so we are selling it and putting the funds towards the new playground.  

The rope bridge comes with 4 posts, 8 collars, and a metal platform. 

The rope net dimensions are: approximately 3450mm long x 3000mm wide.

The posts dimensions are: 2830mm high x 130mm diameter. Each post has square base plates (200 x 200mm) predrilled with 4 bolt holes. 

The platform dimensions are: 1040 x 1350mm excl. collars.

Rope bridge - used. Condition is Used. Local pickup only.

I’ve read the parkz posting policy and I think I’m allowed to post this eBay link, but if the post has to be deleted as it violates guidelines, sorry I misunderstood and I’m happy to delete it if you don’t.

Thanks for your time.

Emily

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223859723471

B9B3C7A0-2DEE-4462-80DB-06F7C2E31C0D.jpeg

• 7 months later...
On 18/01/2020 at 11:20 AM, YPK said:

Hi all,

First time post with something that maybe some Brisbanites might be interested in. 

It’s not quite a roller coaster... 

Did you grow up in Brisbane in the 90's? Remember Top's at the Myer Centre? 

You can have a piece of Brisbane's history in your backyard....

A rope bridge acquired from Tops when it closed in 2000 has been part of the playground at Yeronga Park Kindergarten. It has been removed to make way for a new playground, so we are selling it and putting the funds towards the new playground.  

The rope bridge comes with 4 posts, 8 collars, and a metal platform. 

The rope net dimensions are: approximately 3450mm long x 3000mm wide.

The posts dimensions are: 2830mm high x 130mm diameter. Each post has square base plates (200 x 200mm) predrilled with 4 bolt holes. 

The platform dimensions are: 1040 x 1350mm excl. collars.

Rope bridge - used. Condition is Used. Local pickup only.

I’ve read the parkz posting policy and I think I’m allowed to post this eBay link, but if the post has to be deleted as it violates guidelines, sorry I misunderstood and I’m happy to delete it if you don’t.

Thanks for your time.

Emily

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223859723471

B9B3C7A0-2DEE-4462-80DB-06F7C2E31C0D.jpeg

still for sale? 👉  👈

• 1 year later...

All this deliberation and conjecture about where the tops coaster went...only for it to turn up scrapped in someones backyard.

But where did it come from?

271654473_6771772389560424_3302550622199763351_n-1.thumb.jpg.9e827eab4b78313a04383f1d37ebbfc5.jpg

The image above was taken at the (very much defunct) Atlantis marine park circa 1985.

Did this coaster go on to be the dragon at Tops?

And if not, does anyone know where it did go?

• Like 1