Marathon on Coasters?

Do you ever marathon some coasters you really like? By "marathon", I mean chaining a lot of rides over and over again on the same coaster.

Of course, sometimes it's not possible because the lines are too long, or/and the operations too sluggish. But if given the chance to, would you go coaster abuse? :)

My biggest memories of marathoning a ride are on Goliath (Walibi Holland) when I was a teenager in 05/06'. At the end of the day, the park usually got almost empty but the ops still ran 2 trains! I remember literaly staying in the train, in the same seat, and getting something like 15 rides in a row :o Pretty insane in hindsight and probably something I will never experience again (except for set-up ERTs). I'm not even sure I could withstand sustained physical forces for such a long time now!

Having said that, I managed to clock 24 laps on Monster (Walygator) last month on a quiet day and taking single rider to my advantage...

During the days of VIP gold early entry to Movie World I managed 24 cycles on Arkham not long after it had finished it's conversion, but my record still stands for a quiet day at Wonderland where, having finished my shift early for the day I spent 4 hours on bush beast, never leaving my seat... so long that I couldn't count. (it did give me an inkling of what the "Whirl till you hurl" contestants went through though, and i'd probably not do it again!

On a quiet day at Merimbula's Magic Mountain, I racked up around 40 rides on the Diamond Python (Standard Pinfari Z40) without leaving. Since there was more than one car on the track, once the ride was finished, I walked to the front of the car and off we went again! Probably isn't as impressive as marathoning an Intamin Mega, but still better than nothing 😂 

I did 80 laps on eXcelerator YEARS ago and when I was younger and stupider lol

Obviously not back to back but the park was super quiet and I did sessions of about 20 laps or so. 

Mess riding with crazy Richard 'mantis man' who sits on that thing all day everyday. Most reridable coaster I know. 

7 hours ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

On a quiet day at Merimbula's Magic Mountain, I racked up around 40 rides on the Diamond Python (Standard Pinfari Z40) without leaving. Since there was more than one car on the track, once the ride was finished, I walked to the front of the car and off we went again! Probably isn't as impressive as marathoning an Intamin Mega, but still better than nothing 😂 

That was my first marathon too.

I've marathoned on Superman in opening year when they had a billion staff operating the ride and you could single rider nonstop.

I also marathoned Aqualoop on opening day because it was overcast and few people were riding. This was pre backboards, so your lats copped it a bit just from the force of the water on them.

I did a mini marathon on Banshee too because the ops were so fast that trains were going with empty seats because people weren't physically walking into the station fast enough.

Did 9 rides in a row of Corkscrew at Sea World without getting off at the station on a quiet day about 20 years ago. Ride operators allowed us to stay seated as there were no other riders getting on. This was with my cousin, who rode with me while not knowing she was actually pregnant at the time!!

Edited by yaark

In recent memory my most awesome marathoning experience was Mako at SeaWorld Orlando. Over 3 days I rode it in chunks of 10-15 times without having to leave the station. They were running two trains and it was really quiet in the park. I got to swap between A LOT of seats to experience it from all different rows and sides. It was a cool experience. And they were filming a TVC so we were in the non-models train :P But we had a drone that was filming our train as we raced past.

I did two TPR trips in 2010 and we rode plenty of coasters during ERT and had some great marathoning experiences. My most memorable experience there was riding Prowler non-stop through the woods in complete darkness. It was one of my first woodies, too.

At Dollywood I marathoned Thunderhead but got a bit over it. I waited outside the ride's entrance and got told to get back on lol.

Edited by ash.1111

World Expo Fun park ran a competition on how many rides you could ride in a night.  I thought I was smart and because the park was quiet, I asked the ride attendant if I could stay on the Supernova.   I only had to line up a few times the whole night.  Before every dispatch the ride attendant would stamp my card.   At the end of the night I ran to guest services so sure I would win a prize, I think I even broke into a half-skip.    The person asked me what rides I rode.  I told him the Supernova and I think I had a big grin across my face.  He asked me and what else.  When I proceeded to tell him, I had ridden the coaster over 50 times he laughed at me.  This is when he pointed out, I was meant to ride every ride in the park once to get a prize.

56 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

World Expo Fun park ran a competition on how many rides you could ride in a night.  I thought I was smart and because the park was quiet, I asked the ride attendant if I could stay on the Supernova.   I only had to line up a few times the whole night.  Before every dispatch the ride attendant would stamp my card.   At the end of the night I ran to guest services so sure I would win a prize, I think I even broke into a half-skip.    The person asked me what rides I rode.  I told him the Supernova and I think I had a big grin across my face.  He asked me and what else.  When I proceeded to tell him, I had ridden the coaster over 50 times he laughed at me.  This is when he pointed out, I was meant to ride every ride in the park once to get a prize.

Should have gone to specsavers!!!:D Great story mate!!

12 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

I can remember doing 8 laps of the Arrow looper in Ocean Park. It was far from the best thing in the world.

That arrow looper was horrible did that once and that was enough for me.

Went through hair raiser 7 times in a row as it was walk on and definitely no harm done there.

Though my record is 27 rides on the abyss in a day. I felt like i needed a neck brace the next day lol😝

20 hours ago, AlexB said:

You mean Dragon?

Holy shit! How are you still alive?

Yeah, I'm talking about Dragon. Forgot the name

I've ridden my fair share of Arrow loopers (Corkscrew in NZ, Viper, Sea Screw, Dragon, the Crazy Coaster in China and Cyclone) and Dragon was the worst of the lot. I learnt the hard way not to ride an Arrow looper 8 times in a row - after the 8th lap I felt like I needed a neck brace.