Sea World lake show and attraction ideas

Brad2912

9 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I'm hearing that it will be the worlds largest fountain. 

In all honesty, I'm not entirely against the idea of Sea World doing a fountain in the main lake. Since they axed the ski show and tried replacing it several times with various things, nothing has really captured the original 'must see this if you go' mentality that the ski show had - it was iconic, much like Police Academy was for Movie World.

Now, to be honest, bringing back the ski show (or police academy for that matter) now would be a mistake - the world has moved on, and those sorts of shows are no longer enough to captivate the audience.

Instead, i'd love to see Sea World install a bellagio \ World of Colour style attraction in the lake. For me, Bellagio was a great attraction whilst walking down the boulevard in LV, and WoC was a spectacular night show. During the day, you can have it run regularly, and it would be the relaxing front of the park for people to enjoy, and relax. You could still use the lake for jet skis and such provided certain precautions were taken, or potentially the way Disney does with WoC and have elevating platforms.

It'd also be a great photo spot for holidaymakers (and weddings \ functions) but it would also give Sea World something to close later in the day, a final show before everyone goes home that draws people to the front of the park.

I'm pretty sure we have discussed this concept before, and I think one of the bigger problems with it was the salt water in the lake - but I can't imagine it would be that big of an issue to resolve.

Of course, this isn't me saying do a fountain instead of a coaster \ flat ride \ etc, but i'd like to see them do something awesome with the lake that didn't rely on corny slapstick humour, or a bunch of guys revving their jetskis up and down the lake for 10 minutes twice a day.

9 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

I'm hearing that it will be the worlds largest fountain. 

I'm with Alex here as with how iconic the bellagio fountains are for vegas and WoC is for Disney this may actually be an entertaining show for the whole family to enjoy the only problem is that with how much WoC cost to design and build the potential cost could become rather expensive.

But the park could really do something special with that lake, a part from just having a jet ski show twice a day. They now have the island that just sits there with bare concrete showing, with a few hoses spraying in front of it. I don't think the jet ski show is bad and does still bring in the crowds, but it isn't quite at the level of the original Waterski Wipeout. The thing with those fountain/light shows is they are done at night, and the park isn't open late enough to do that sort of thing. Unless they did at Carnivale, which as some of mentioned last year, is missing a main show/parade. Using the lake would be the perfect opportunity for something awesome like that and could easily fit the Carnivale theme.

I agree the lake is under utilised.  It's a big stage so you a really big show to fill the space.  That's what I think good shows have in common, they're big shows in small spaces.  That's why Pirates Unleashed was such a failure, it was a tiny show on a massive stage.  Same is true for HSD V Police Academy, PA had more stuff going on crammed into a smaller space, so the show felt bigger.  I think that's why the Ski Show works, it's a show that takes up the whole lake and only just fits in the space.  Jet Stunt Extreme does a better job of filling the lake but it's not really a show, rather it's an extreme sports demonstration.  

What I think they need is either improve JSE or go back to basics and put in either a classic Ski Show or a big new Stunt Show, as well as using the lake for a night time spectacular.  There's no reason you can't do both, and with such a big venue so close to the entrance it's ideally suited to a big night show.  Fountains would work fine as an element of a night show, but it shouldn't get in the way of the day show.

the main thing to consider is that most fountain jets (especially the dancing ones like the bellagio and California Adventure) need to be only JUST below the surface. Having a jet ski rider travelling at high speed anywhere near them is a recipe for disaster and serious injury.

To have something as immersive and intricate as Bellagio or WoC, there would be little space for jet skis to traverse safely, unless they were to install the rising platforms WoC has - which would require a deeper lake, and an ability to entirely drain it for service and maintenance, which would require massive works as the lake is connected to the broadwater, and is at level with the water table.

Side note: mods, is it possible to have this conversation split from the jellies topic, perhaps into a 'sea world lakeside attraction ideas' thread or something?

I had completely forgotten about the barge set ups some of these companies do, and of course you are right.

Still, with the lake filled in beyond the lighthouse, any 'full-size' \ 'worth the effort' dancing fountain barge is gonna need to be pretty big, and even if you can move it from front stage, it's still going to take up lots of room.

Personally I think if they went with that idea, they'd need to utilise it more than just an evening finale show for it to be worth it - for example the way the lake at DCA has minor 'recitals' with music backing throughout the day, but I guess it wouldn't take much to move it out and in a few times a day.

9 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

Pirates of the Caribbean being so popular

Those Disney rights would be so cheap too!

---

I'd love to see something like World of Colour, but I can't imagine one of our parks having the budget or desire to do something like that. Plus it really only works well at night so that rules it out.

Maybe they could do the whole area up. Cover the upwards seating pit for a start. 

They want SW to be an "events" park. They could make it multi-use I suppose. Fountain show during the day, laser+fountain show for night events. 

Failing that, beg universal for the rights to Waterworld and bring that in on a larger scale (to make use of the existing island). 

I'd love to see something like Water World at the park. This couldn't go on the lake, but somewhere else in the park (water park) would be awesome. They obviously couldn't do the exact same show due to licensing, but taking that stunt/water show combination and creating something awesome like that would be great for the park.

No to IP stuff.  Not everything needs to be a franchise.  

Below is a video of the sort of show SW should be doing - it's a mix of technologies.  Not that I said the sort of show - they shouldn't do exactly this, it's included as a showcase for some of the things you can do.  So for example Idon't think you need to have such a massive fountain install taking up the whole lake, but more modest barges floated in and parked close to the audience as well as one closer to the island could work rather well.  Base it off various themes that Sea World has (So a segment on Pirates/castaways, a segment bringing a storm to life, a segment on Polar Bears, one on 'Monsters', one celebrating Dolphins etc.) with a big Finale tying it all back to Sea World.

There are so many possibilities with the technology avalible.  I think so long as you don't have a show with prolonged periods of nothing (as is surprisingly common with night shows) you could do something really special with that venue.