Dreamworld - 2017 "exciting" "experiences"

themagician

3 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

I had to inform them DW still has many rides closed, while Movie World has just built the biggest and best coaster in Australia. They had no idea, and even then didn't really believe me.

^Looks like the spectacular marketing for DC Rivals is working :rolleyes:

Edited by Luke
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, themeparkaddict said:

Today must have been the worst day for anyone going to Dreamworld.

image.thumb.png.bebc5789a2e62c872c69c1671af0dd94.png

Plus:

Backside of Giant Drop

Upstairs of ball playground (the fun part for hitting people)

Merry-go-round

Of course the log-ride and all of Gold Rush country

One daily show at Tiger Island and most other shows

No face painters (have three young girls)

Flow-rider (I think)

And the Tower or Terror II and Mick Doohan's Motocoaster were both closed on the weekend when they weren't listed as such

20 minutes spent (wasted) getting pass photos taken

Plus all the closed rides listed above

Piss take much?

• Like 1

Yes, a bit disappointing today. We went Saturday, motorcoaster and tower of terror were testing in the morning so they said to come back later. Then my husband felt a bit ill after going on pandemonium (doesn’t like spinning rides, is fine with coasters) so we stuck with just the kids rides before leaving. Returned on Sunday to find them both closed. Returned today, still both closed, can’t tell us when they will be open, might be later today. 

Went to movie world instead today. 

Hoping they reopen soon as we fly back home on Thursday.

Honestly though - at this point, unless you're a regular visitor, why would you bother going to Dreamworld?

Holidaymakers are being seriously cheated here. It's only going to make it worse for them. I totally get that if it has to be closed for safety reasons then close it - but seriously, when your ride lineup looks like that, you should just close the park and refund day-tickets at the gate... or swap them for a movie world ticket or something.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Honestly though - at this point, unless you're a regular visitor, why would you bother going to Dreamworld?

Holidaymakers are being seriously cheated here. It's only going to make it worse for them. I totally get that if it has to be closed for safety reasons then close it - but seriously, when your ride lineup looks like that, you should just close the park and refund day-tickets at the gate... or swap them for a movie world ticket or something.

If you think about it, it SHOULD mean that rides will be open for the summer season. So when the vast majority of people visit, they are pleased with the fact that there is a large amount of rides open. From what I saw on Sunday, they are really putting effort into making sure the rides are good to go. For example: 

IMG_8800.JPG

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

Visited on Sunday and managed about 90 minutes there before we left, which included a fairly leisurely stroll through the animal enclosures. 5 of the "big 9" rides out of action, which is pretty appalling. I've got friends coming from the US in a couple of weeks, they are into theme parks but it's almost at the point where I'd tell them not to waste their money on Dreamworld admission.

Sent some written feedback to the park as well, received a stock "sorry not sorry" response. Honestly seems like Dreamworld either don't understand why mass ride closures would annoy guests, or they simply don't care.

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

That doesn't make it look like they're putting in any effort - not a workman or tool in site, and the ride missing crucial safety devices.

Can you imagine how GCB would spin that?

This is on Sunday. Construction companies don't work on Sundays. What do you expect?

31 minutes ago, Flynn_Smith said:

This is on Sunday. Construction companies don't work on Sundays. What do you expect?

Maintenance is not done by construction companies but rather their maintenance team. Which a park always needs to have there when the park is operating. However just because you can't see someone working on the ride doesn't mean nothing is happening.

I'm going to optimistically put it down to just poor timing. It's not like they just hire random engineers for a brief busy period - the combination of quite a number of active new projects that would require differing levels of input from that department (Wipeout, Log Ride, Mine Ride are the key three here) combined with ongoing annual maintenance schedules, combined with a few unknowns they're probably still dealing with from earlier in the year (like Tower of Terror's issues) means those guys probably have more than enough to do now to get the park ready before the busiest time of the year hits.

In saying that.... all things considered - this is kind of the perfect time where the park should be offsetting any possible or potential negativity from having five plus rides closed with some real quality communications about ride safety and maintenance programs. Because let's face it, the hard and real truth is that anyone would come off as a real bastard, whether that's mainstream news or folks on social media, if they're openly complaining about rides closed and the response from the park is simply "here's 3 videos that are super transparent and great to watch about just how serious we take your family's safety in 2017 and we're totally not sorry about how anal we are right now about it."

• Like 1

So at this point I am actually thinking Dreamworld should realistically consider moving to weekend only and school holiday opening.

Keep white water world open mid week, and use the side entrance to bring the tour groups in to get their Koala photos (if these haven't all moved on to Paradise Country and Currumbin).

I get the opening every day to reinforce the impression of being open for business but they aren't, half of the park is closed anyway. Reduce the overheads of having casual staff working weekdays with no guests. Your holiday makers will visit the Village parks and still visit on the weekend anyway, and your locals aren't making you any money mid week anyhow.

That would free up staff and money to get these refurbs done quicker or more stuff open.

And on that note, why take their time with log ride? Throw some money at it right now and fast track the rebuild. It's the same cost anyway as dragging it out and just makes for a better image overall.

• Like 3

On 31/10/2017 at 7:11 AM, AlexB said:

This is exactly what I've been saying to people. If you're a regular and you know what happened then sure whatever. But if you've come to the coast to go to themeparks (which tourists do all year round) and you're met with Dreamworld as it is now, then it's a big F you to visitors. Then for DW to do a 30 days for $30, you know that they know "we're a little bit up the sh*t here". 

Completelty agree with these comments.

During the start of the year I forgave Dreamworld for the numerous ride closures. As many of these closures have become insanely long and have been going on for a lot of the year I am not happy with the experience Dreamworld currently provides. They need to do something.

Whilst I understand the economic benefit of them moving to restricted hours (weekends/holidays) I think that does more harm than having out of action rides, on the proviso the out of action rides are well referenced online and at park entry so people know what they are paying for. Day entry fees shouldn’t be a dollar over $40 for adults based on the current offering (something they’ve realised with the 30 for $30 offer). 

Moving to weekend trade negates about half their workforce, which results in redundancies which won’t help them with any positive media or community goodwill. 

I just think they need to make a decision and either invest some serious money in now, not in 12 months, or just put a For Sale sign out the front

Edited by Brad2912
  • Like 1

This is not a couple rides down for their annual refurb. This is half a park walled off by temporary fences and more deconstruction than construction. 

Its just a really sad depressing look all over the park. 

Honestly the entire place other than Tiger Island looks like shit. 

Talking about getting things done, I noticed that the Baldwin steam locomotive had been moved to the back of the shed, and someone was working on the engine. The wife kid and I will be very pleased and even return/ buy a pass if this loco returns to service even if once a month like last year. 

Dreamworld staff have said they hope the new driver comes on board, so it can be run for the upcoming school holidays.

Also the other day when I went to Dreamworld all 3 Of The Big 9 thrill rides that where closed where swarmed With maintance especially wipeout, Buzzsaw had around 6, Tailspin around 4 and 2 builders and wipeout around 8/11

And Tower Of Terror II And Mickdohan Are Back Open!

9F1B08C9-0156-4FAD-845D-6A652E620E87.png