Dreamworld - 2017 "exciting" "experiences"

themagician

Does anyone know what was going on with the Giant Drop yesterday? The catchcar looked like it was on a strange angle and there were cables dangling from the tower. The other side of the tower was still operating along with the TOT, didn't seem very safe but i'm sure Dreamworld know what they are doing... 

40 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Does anyone know what was going on with the Giant Drop yesterday? The catchcar looked like it was on a strange angle and there were cables dangling from the tower. The other side of the tower was still operating along with the TOT, didn't seem very safe but i'm sure Dreamworld know what they are doing... 

Well somebody mentioned earlier that GD was breaking down quite a bit so maybe they shit down that side temporarily for maintenance? This would explain why wires were hanging down from the tower.

Just to clarify, they weren't abseiling cables, they looked like pulley cables and they were just flapping in the breeze. I would have just thought it was maintenance but it was strange seeing the catchcar sitting on an angle half way up the tower. I just wish my phone wasn't flat so I could have taken photos. I saw a couple of people taking photos but I was hoping they might make their way here.

1 hour ago, Tim Dasco said:

Dreamworld are not the only ones making these changes. Adventure world has added seat belts to Black Widow. One staff member also told me that life guards have to operate the buccaneer battles now. Seems the government might be making some new restrictions and requirements on rides.

Surprised Black Widow didn't have this done earlier, Joylands travelling Power Surge has had seat belts for quite some time now.

• Like 1

^it depends on what redundancy systems the restraint has in place as to whether seatbelts or other restraint devices are implemented - and sometimes retrofitted.

the fact that one ride doesn't have a seatbelt doesn't demonstrate that they aren't necessary on another, as the mechanics and redundancies behind the restraint can be completely different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim Dasco said:

Dreamworld are not the only ones making these changes. Adventure world has added seat belts to Black Widow. One staff member also told me that life guards have to operate the buccaneer battles now. Seems the government might be making some new restrictions and requirements on rides.

Adding seat belts is quite a common affair in the industry. Adding complicated harnesses, adding cages and fundamentally changing rides from the original spec is a whole other thing IMO. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, joel said:

I think it is confirmed Dreamworld is getting a little kids ride

2781592F-2D8A-4FF7-86BA-7B04BDCC8479.thumb.png.d9ba185893bc2b012cbd41a4ace57fcc.png

I'd be interested to know how DW can possibly justify opening something like this at a time when their Major Attractions are falling apart and barely able to keep running for Customers to enjoy? 

Meanwhile, 'ambitious' projects are full speed ahead at DW to re-invigorate rides like a 1980's Log flume - complete with embarrassing (possibly dangerous) bird-cage cosmetic adjustments.

-AND- all this to compete with what? .. Oh yeah, the Gold Coast's 2nd most expensive EVER (and arguably) most elaborately themed ride (WWF).

Hahaha ugh, seriously, best of luck with that! 

Get your shit together DW because you are fast running out of time and the clock is ticking!

Utterly mystifying addition if true.  The only reason I can invent for them adding it is to allow them to paint the picture that 'The future is bright and we're still investing in the park for the future'.

On the other hand though getting the families with small kids through the door seems to be what they're banking on for their recovery, and any thrill ride they added would just be OBLITERATED this year anyway.

• Like 2

Well i mean it's not every day you get such a quality Dulux Yellow Loop Top design fence now is it..! It does end the months of speculation around just what colour and style fence they would install. Personally i thought they might go for more of an off white - maybe egg shell colour. Glad they went with the loop top though, much better suited to the area than other options... 

/sarcasm

• Like 1

13 hours ago, joz said:

On the other hand though getting the families with small kids through the door seems to be what they're banking on for their recovery, and any thrill ride they added would just be OBLITERATED this year anyway.

Families spend money, and often bring grandparents who spend even more. I've often thought Dreamworld could use a heavily discounted seniors admission (i.e. $20 or even free with a kids ticket), given they're mostly going to watch the grandkids go on rides, and then buy stuff for them that the parents won't.