Jobe's September Orlando trip

Jobe

Hi all,

Well the family and some friends of mine are finally making the trip stateside and we will be visiting Orlando and all its attractions.

Our itinerary is as follows:

6-Sep Wed Arrive Orlando

7-Sep Thur Disney World Animal Kingdom

8-Sep Fri Disney World Hollywood Studios

9-Sep Sat Disney World Blizzard Park

10-Sep Sun Kennedy Space Centre

11-Sep Mon Legoland

12-Sep Tue Disney World Typhoon Lagoon

13-Sep Wed Disney World Epcot

14-Sep Thu Disney World Magic Kingdom

15-Sep Fri Gator / Swamp tour 

16-Sep Sat Change accommodation

17-Sep Sun Universal Island of Adventure

18-Sep Mon Seaworld Busch Gardens

19-Sep Tue Universal Studios

20-Sep Wed Seaworld

21-Sep Thu Universal Volcano

22-Sep Fri Free

23-Sep Sat Travel to Hawaii

As you can see we are packing as much as we can in the time allotted. The days we have chosen are based on these 2 crowd calendars:Taken from these two crowd calendars https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/crowd-calendar and https://www.undercovertourist.com/orlando/crowd-calendar/September-2017/ so as to maximise the best possible time.

11 theme parks in about 13 days is a lot to pack in but we are going to make the most of it.All of our tickets are prepaid and we have Fast passes organised for the Disney parks but nothing for the others as yet.

I am just looking to draw on other more experienced members to get some ideas, tips and pointers for any of the parks listed or anything Orlando related. We are very much looking forward to the trip ( my kids are beside themselves!! ) but I think Hawaii for a week at the end will also be a welcome relief as well!!

So please any thoughts or comments or helpful hints will be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!:D

• Like 1

Sounds good, although I would possibly consider switching up Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios - with so much construction going on at Hollywood Studios, and with Great Movie Ride being closed by then, there's fewer attractions there than there typically would be. Probably a better way to go your first day after arriving given jet lag will have some impact on you.

• Like 1

I think your date choice os ideal @Jobe

For one reason or another us Aussies love to venture to the US in September, however in my years of experience in Travel I can advise that whilst crowds at the Parks will be lower on international/interstateTourist numbers, annual passes are completely unblocked (not so much of an issue in Orlando mind you), weekends tend to be loads busier, off season trading hours apply so reduced Monday-Friday and certain major attractions may be closed. (Annual Maintenance or being overlayed for Halloween in October).

May I ask where in Orlando are you staying and are you renting a car or do you plan to take courtesy transport to Parks etc? Just in my experience, WDW make it rather difficult for People staying on their properties to enjoy Orlando's other attractions.

All aside the best advice I can offer is arrive early every day and if you like a drink, try not to go too hard in the evenings.. save that for Hawaii😆

All aside sounds like a tonne of fun @Jobe! You are certainly going to be grateful for that week in Paradise at the end! 

• Like 1

Yeah with Orlando the combination of the size of the parks, climate and long operating days means you'll need your rest days for sure or you just end up rooted and not enjoying it towards the end.

So if you can, shuffle the activities that won't be full day (Eg Gator Tour, Legoland (The hotel shift day is fixed obviously)  in amongst the rest where possible.

Also, stop in at the Two Fun Spot parks, since they could be done in an hour or two where you have free time.

One of them has the brand new "Mind Blower” Gravity Group woodie with an inversion.

The other fun spot on international drive has a GCI woodie and a Vekoma family invert with a layout bigger and different to the one at DW/Legoland.

PS its a shame you arrive on the 6th... Dragon Challenge at IOA closes forever on the 4th of September.

If I were in your position I would shift flights lol, because it would be a shame to miss such a great pair of unique coasters.

• Like 1

If you're reading touring plans from 2 different sites, I doubt we have anything to offer.

The only advice I'd give (and this is general advice, it's not specific to you) is those plans are written by autistic teenagers who don't understand that you're actually at a park to have fun with people you love.  It's not all about hitting attractions in the most efficient way possible, particularly with family or kids in tow.  Be open to going with the flow at times even if it means missing something.  You want happy memories not memories about fighting and kids not eating now because we have to get a spot an hour early for the parade on the left side of the plaza because it means you get to see the floats for a little longer.  

A combination of a solid game plan and being open to the needs of your group is key.  Don't forget to have fun!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gazza said:

If I were in your position I would shift flights lol, because it would be a shame to miss such a great pair of unique coasters.

Meh those two coasters have sucked since the day they stopped dueling anyway. 

• Like 1

I guess it depends on who's traveling with you, but I definitely recommend a trip to Kennedy Space Center. It could serve as a day off from parks if people are feeling not coaster-enthused that day, and it's quite an amazing historical US site to visit. Actual rockets still there, one of the shuttles, plenty for kids, bus tours to the pad (if SpaceX aren't launching)... the Atlantic Ocean is only 30 mins from NASA if you want to tick that off any bucket lists.

Obviously the rest of your trip sounds awesome, I had a blast at Universal/IOA back in 2009.

• Like 1

I was thinking that, but what also came to my head was that there are 8 parks in Orlando. That means there will pretty much be new attractions every year meaning whatever year you go, you will always be missing out on whatever opens a year later. 

I guess it just comes down to what attraction it is & if it interests you or not. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2017 at 3:50 PM, djrappa said:

Meh those two coasters have sucked since the day they stopped dueling anyway. 

I was re-watching POVs tonight given today is the closure, and I reckon the blue dragon is an objectively good inverted coaster on a standalone basis...Big overbank at the start, a lot of speed through the zero g roll, the cobra roll right up against the castle wall 👌👌

• Like 1