Oct 25th 2018 - upcoming 1 year anniversary of Dreamworld tragedy

Hard to believe it's only a couple of months now until the 1 year mark of the tragic incident at Dreamworld that changed everything as we knew it 😢 

As much as I know it's far from a favourite topic to dicuss, but with the 1st anniversary of that ill-fated date on the quick approach, I can't help but wonder if Dreamworld are planning to do anything on the day, such as a memorial event for those (hopefully including the public as well) wanting to visit the park and pay respects?

Obviously with TRR still standing at present it means that we don't have the previously discussed official memorial site as yet, and I realise this concept is still up in the air, pending the approval of the victims families. So I'm not sure what else could be done.

Personally I like the idea of maybe having a flower drop-off spot outside the TRR Gold Rush gate if it's an option.

Anyway I just wanted to bring it up to see if anyone else has thought about this, and maybe maturely discuss what possible options the park would have if they did arrange something - which I have no doubt they will, given the significance of the date and its relevance. 

Thoughts? 

I think it would be the worst possible idea ever for the park to organise a flower drop or anything with significant visual impact like that, It's just a punch in the face reminder to everyone who is already tentative about the place they HEY WE KILLED PEOPLE.

The best thing they could do is unveil a small memorial plaque or something somewhere discreet on the day, acknowledge this in the media (who will want the story that day) and back it up with the safety message.

Then they should drop it for good and move on with happy times and stop this need to try and prove "trust us we're safe" every 5 mins like they are doing now.

• Like 1

True, guys. I think the obvious issue is that it's something the park wouldn't want to make a big deal of, given it has had such a disasterous impact on them and obviously very negatively publicity as a whole. 

Alas, on the other hand, I also fear that not addressing it at all might be seen as potentially insensitive or disrespectful, especially being the first anniversary of their passing. Heaven knows the media will likely be all over it, they never let a good opportunity for a story slide 😑 And as AlexB has said, many members of the public will likely want to visit the park to pay respects, regardless of what's organised and what's not.

think it's a very tricky situation to approach, and I'm gonna assume that with the date fast approaching they will have all hands on deck to ensure its handled in the best way possible 😕

How have other major theme parks overseas handled these tragedies previously when they were a first? (I should probably do some googling out of interest...) 

Edited by Theme Park Girl
Had to delete a rogue letter of the alphabet

What I don't understand is (and this is just me) I don't know any of the people that died in the accident, it didn't personally affect it in any way. 

Thats not to say it's not sad. But I don't feel the need or desire to pay my respects to victims I don't know. 

• Like 4

I guess every person's experience affects them differently in that regard mate. I appreciate that you recognise that 'it's just you' (it isn't - many would feel the same).

As I revealed last year, I have a connection to a family friend of the Dorsett's, so I can't say anything objectively here - but in terms of other events, some people see their own friends or family in the faces of the victims. Simply having a child \ relative who is the same age\gender as a victim or relative of the victim.

A parent with a 12 year old daughter would easily be horrified to think of this situation, as the little girl Ebony was 12 at the time - and their thoughts would turn to "what if it was me?" (And likewise baby Evie - only 8 months old at the time would impact anyone with a ~1 year old). Many parents with similar family arrangements would fear this, and grieve for those they didn't know - laying flowers or paying respects in some way would perhaps give them some comfort, as it would be something they would like to happen if it happened to them?

Sure, there are those that would rhapsodise about how badly this event has impacted them despite no connection or link (an 18 year old boy without kids would likely not have much in common with the event to be impacted), and would crap on about it in forums or social media as a form of attention seeking 'woe is me' approach, but i think in general, those who do it quietly, respectfully, without publishing how "hard" it is for THEM on social media, who quietly purchase a bouquet or tribute to lay at the grounds before heading home deserve the opportunity to deal with the events in their own way.

Agree with you on the 'small memorial, 5 minute media call, quick safety message, and drop it for good (publicly)' is probably the best course for them though.

• Like 1

I doubt they'd close for the day. Yes it happened, but I imagine they would rather move on and focus on the future. Doesn't mean they will rule out a memorial for the victims at the park (If the families wish to have one). There will likely a press release, but as stated, they will push about the safety of the rides and the new experiences they have 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2017 at 11:48 AM, djrappa said:

What I don't understand is (and this is just me) I don't know any of the people that died in the accident, it didn't personally affect it in any way. 

Thats not to say it's not sad. But I don't feel the need or desire to pay my respects to victims I don't know. 

Thought the same thing - why is this such a big deal to the general public. I mean people die every day on our roads, in work place accidents and various other causes. Yet there's rarely anything but friends and family involved.

People say its because it's relatable - but surely driving on the road is relatable to pretty much everyone.

I think Dreamworld will ignore it as much as they possibly can. They'll probably do something internally with the staff prior to opening, and make a public statement in response to all the inquiries they'll no doubt receive. Outside of that, i suspect the only thing they'll do is marshal where any flowers get left, and then remove them at the end of the day.

• Like 2

It's what you're sensitive to though.

People die or are seriously injured in car crashes every single day. You get desensitised to it... unless it happens to someone you know.

Rare events touch people because of the disbelief that it could happen, and the realisation that it could have happened to them. Look at Martin Place after the Lindt Cafe siege. the entire square was covered in flowers. How many of those people transited Martin Place daily. How many people stopped in for their morning cup of joe from the Lindt Cafe? They were right opposite the Channel 7 \ Sunrise studio - which brings people to the square to gawk - and when Sunrise has concerts on - the square is packed. So many people would relate to that, and because its a rare event that they're not desensitised to, it hits harder.

TRRR is a ride that thousands of people had been on every day for decades. Most people know someone who has been on it - and the it could have been me realisation kicks in and hits home.

• Like 1

If you say so. Will have to take your word for it. 

Sure I've thought "shit well I dodged a bullet there" but that never manifested into an outpouring of emotion and sadness leading to personal grief. 

Im sorry for saying this but in probably more sad that my childhood memory is gone forever (the ride) than anything else. 

• Like 2

If it was just me I was taking into account it probably wouldn't have hit home so much, but where it got me was that I had taken my son on that ride multiple times from his 2nd Birthday onwards (he was 4 when the incident happened) because to me, it was a "well nothing can go wrong on the Rapids" attitude. My partner is not a theme park/ride person and has always been hesitant about my son going on rides, and i've always pre-empted her concern by "I only take him on mild safe rides" i.e. TRR, LR, ABC4Kids. For me it was the whole how the f**k would I have lived with myself if he'd been on that ride that day. He can't make decisions around his safety or choices, I make them. 

I took flowers down to the memorial a few days later, moreso out of respect and acknowledgement of the victims families/friends. They were all from interstate and on holidays, it was not like their loved ones could easily go down and contribute to the memorial, so I felt inclined to do that.

Bottom line here i think is that there's no right or wrong answer here. there's no rule to follow. if you feel the need to express condolence in flowers or similar, and that helps you deal with the situation, regardless of your connection, go for it. Not everyone will feel that way, and there's nothing wrong with that - if it doesn't make you want to drop flowers, it just hasn't struck your particular nerve in the same way.

Everyone is different, everyone is unique in how they handle things, so drop flowers, mourn the loss of the childhood icon that was a favourite family pasttime. Remain stoic and aloof - again, there is no right or wrong response to this incident - with the possible exception of throwing a party \ celebration \ cheering that people died.

• Like 2

I agree with what AlexB is saying it indeed IS different for every person, as it should be. 

I guess the point is, as it is different for everyone, should the park choose to not advertise a memorial flower drop, we shouldn't be chastising them for it. 

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/breaking-news/ardent-fy-earnings-to-top-guidance/news-story/6d4252e79a28ebcda115644111c2e596

Theme parks and entertainment company Ardent Leisure expects to report full-year earnings ahead of its guidance but admits it can do better.

Ardent expects core earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) of $76 million when it releases its annual financial results on August 31, slightly ahead of its guidance range of $73 million to $75 million.

But last year's Dreamworld theme park closure for 45 days following a fatal accident in October would likely drag revenue down nearly 15 per cent to $586 million.

Ardent says the lift in earnings was driven by a better-than-expected finish to the year by its US-based Main Event business.

Main Event grew revenue by 30 per cent to $US226.2 million ($4.5 million) as new centres were opened, but despite the revenue increase, earnings lifted only 5.6 per cent and margins fell.

Ardent's theme parks operations suffered a 34 per cent fall in revenue to $70.9 million, reflecting the Dreamworld closure and lower visitation levels after it re-opened.

Ardent says the recovery of Dreamworld is likely to take two years.

Revenue for Ardent's bowling and entertainment centres in Australia was down 2.2 per cent at $127.7 million, impacted by the closure of Kingpin Crown for renovation.

Ardent chief executive Simon Kelly says Main Event's results were disappointing, and Dreamworld had faced very challenging trading since re-opening but was on the path to recovery.

"From my relatively early days in the business, it is clear that there are many opportunities for us to do better," Mr Kelly said in a statement on Friday.

'"We are firmly focused on these opportunities which will deliver significant value upside for our security-holders."

Ardent said that, in future, cash flows from Main Event would be directed towards reinvestment in growth while cash generated by Dreamworld would be mainly directed towards distributions.

Shares on Ardent Leisure were one cent, or 0.5 per cent, lower at $2.02 at 1012 AEST.