Luna Park Sydney's expansion

Nimble

I'm going to bring something up, the Water Wars thing at the end of the line for the Spider. I have seen that many times, and it is getting rusty. For some reason it has been moved. Behind it you can see a painting (Looking like one of the Before visiting, after visiting ads) behind the hedge.

(I can't find a photo)

But does anyone know what these used to be??

On 13/09/2017 at 7:10 PM, AlexB said:

if its what i'm thinking of, it was an upcharge attraction - buy a bucket of water balloons, and use a slingshot to fire them at the opposing side. good clean fun for everyone on a hot day and a great way to make buckets of money.

Yes, that might be the case because there are two different ones, but I kinda think it looks like water guns. I will try to remember to take a photo on Sunday.

On 9/8/2017 at 7:45 PM, Nimble said:

I'm going to bring something up, the Water Wars thing at the end of the line for the Spider. I have seen that many times, and it is getting rusty. For some reason it has been moved. Behind it you can see a painting (Looking like one of the Before visiting, after visiting ads) behind the hedge.

(I can't find a photo)

But does anyone know what these used to be??

Is it this type of thing? I've seen them in many parks but never seen one actually being used.

12 hours ago, MrLukeCarroll said:

Is it this type of thing? I've seen them in many parks but never seen one actually being used.

Yes, that is the same booth thing and same logo. @AlexB was correct.

14 hours ago, Ryno said:

I went to LPS last Sunday and the Ranger was operating.

Yes, Forgot to bring that up. The Ranger is confusing...

• 8 months later...

Haven't been down to LPS in years, but I may come in on the way to town if I choose to go to Vivid next week. Park is free admission anyway, don't know why I give the park a check up more often.

Heard nothing of the chairswing though - it was supposed to open in April/May from what I've been told, but I'll check it out in a couple weeks and see what's up with it.

Instead they are continuing with partnering up with showmen and adding temporary attractions, the way they have done it for nearly 15 years. Borderline infuriating - this park upgrade plan was supposed to start years and years ago - at this rate it'll be another year before LPS add another ride, meaning that they continue to prop up aging rides. For instance, Ranger, Tumblebug and Spider all have clocked up nearly 30 years of continuous operation, even if I grew up with these rides and are the only rides of their type in this country, they need to be retired or sold to a showman. 

Whether or not this has anything to do with the longstanding neighbours situation and how they dodged a bullet with the drop tower they built is beyond me, but is probably the reason why this plan to rejuvenate the park has happened at such a slow pace. And if it is, management should be aware that as long as they have a DA approved, they can build whatever they please, without fear the neighbours will sue or attempt to stop park operation, plenty of protection from that has been given over the years.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, DJKostya said:

This is such bureaucratic nonsense. Once again forces outside continue to hamper the long term viability and success of Luna Park Sydney. Surely sanity and common sense must prevail!!!

Look, I actually support the fact that they need to undergo a DA process. Given the debacle that was hair-raiser, and the risk it could have been pulled down if the approvals didn't come through, not because of the complaints but simply because it didn't follow the process.

Going through the DA \ BA (as appropriate) process is the same for anyone building \ developing something new - as we've seen with such mundane constructions as 'new food outlet' and 'new multipurpose shed' on the gold coast parks.

Clearly, given the previous court rulings on noise, residents can't object to noise (they can, but they won't get very far). However the park has the protection it has because of the historic and heritage nature of the park. If they were to suddenly install something unsuited to the amenity of the park and the area, and unsuited to the heritage nature of the park - what or who would stop them?

What's to stop Brookfield slowly replacing each attraction with something modern, completely different and worth a fortune in revenue? They built hair raiser without going through any process - what could they have done instead, and then had to pull it all down later?

the developer is having a cry because they thought they had carte blanche, and they don't. they thought they'd been given the golden key to the city to bypass all those balances, and now they're finding out that they don't. I don't know about you, but I'm quite happy that such an icon will continue to have a few checks in place when it is completely controlled by a developer (who, I'm quite certain, once built some of the high rises that house their loudest opponents).

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

From 2GB (Click this link to listen to the full 3.5 minute interview with Luna Park Sydney's Managing Director):

Petition circulating to save Sydney’s iconic Luna Park

BEN FORDHAM

A petition is circulating to save Luna Park in the wake of a court ruling which some argue will end the iconic venue.

Luna Park must now apply for development approval every time they want to move or replace a ride, following a recent Land and Environment Court ruling.

Park Managing Director Peter Hearne tells Ben Fordham it’s “bureaucracy gone mad”.

“To actually have to do a DA every time we want to bring a ride in, first of all, it’ll take at least nine months… there’s no certainty that it’ll be approved.

“And more importantly, it opens up the battles that we’ve already won about light and noise and hours of operation to further attack.”

Peter is urging people passionate about the beloved venue to come down and sign the petition.

He says they need 10,000 signatures to submit the petition to New South Wales Parliament and have the issue debated.

You can find more information about the petition HERE

From Australian Associated Press:

Petition demands NSW govt save Luna Park

Sophie Moore

A petition calling on the NSW government to save Sydney's Luna Park is no laughing matter, with the fun park's operator saying a court ruling threatens its long-term future.

More than 5000 visitors to the amusement park have signed a petition calling on the coalition to intervene following the NSW Land and Environment Court decision.

But the operators need another 5000 signatures to ensure the petition is tabled in parliament.

The court ruled in mid-July that the park couldn't install a new ride, The Flying Circus, without a development approval.

The judgement means the amusement park must submit a development application every time it replaces, moves or installs a new ride.

Local residents worried about noise also have a say as part of the approval process.

Luna Park Sydney managing director Peter Hearne says the operator has spent more than $10 million over 20 years fighting legal cases.

He fears a group of affluent residents will use noise complaints to block new rides or further restrict park opening and operation times.

"The ruling is totally unviable," Mr Hearne told AAP on Thursday.

"It will take us at least, from the start of the process, nine months for each application with no guarantee it will be successful."

Rides are booked seasonally depending on demand and availability, he explained, making forward planning difficult.

The ruling will also apply to the amusement park's school holiday activities, including a pop-up ice-skating rink and outdoor cinema.

"I can't even bring in an inflatable jumping castle," Mr Hearne said.

The ruling will also delay the park's planned $20 million refurbishment announced in March 2017.

Luna Park, which opened its grinning doors in 1935, covers about three hectares on the north side of Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Developers Brookfield Multiplex lease the heritage-listed site and park from the NSW government, with the deal expiring in 2044.

The NSW government placed legislative conditions on the site when it re-opened in 2004.

Mr Hearne says the park will not be appealing the court's decision, instead petitioning the government to exempt rides from needing a DA.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

They should be acting like the world-class tourist destination that they are, not some carnie depot with semi-permanant rides. Maybe instead of complaining about needing a DA every-time they move a ride they just invest in some stuff that's worth keeping?

The only area i'll concede is needing DA's for seasonal activities like the pop-up ice-skating rink is over the top. The park should always take precedence over some twerpy residents (within reason of course) but let's not forget that ultimately it's kind of their fault to begin with, what with building a drop tower without the correct DA's in the first place.

Edited by Roachie

I don't see whats wrong with doing DA's. All theme parks around Australia are required to submit a Development Application and these are then used to issue the Building Permit license. This is a standard procedure for any building and I can't fathom why they think they should get special treatment. 

9 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

I don't see whats wrong with doing DA's. All theme parks around Australia are required to submit a Development Application and these are then used to issue the Building Permit license. This is a standard procedure for any building and I can't fathom why they think they should get special treatment. 

Because it allows the NIMBY's to get involved, drag the process out and consumes funds. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Haha! I'm glad to see that this has been brought back to life! I completely forgot about Parkz! Anyways, my Annual Pass to the park expired in July, so I won't be going back to the park for a while. Anyways, I will try to get to the park before it's too late to sign the petition (September 30th).

I am sad that they built the Hair Raiser without permission, and that links to the position the park is in now, but we are witnessing history repeat itself. Here is my proof:

Spires being taken down (Yes, it was to get rid of the rust, but it looked like the 1980s for that 10-month periodScreenshot_179.thumb.png.68f8adee75a9dbdc7f657922523b89f0.png22da5ba5c0dc8a317e06db884eac3741.thumb.jpg.3307c838e13da4bdfe19dde73c4e5251.jpg

(I couldn't find a good image of the 1980s)

Ride noise complaints
*cough cough* Big Dipper II, the old arrow that is now at Dreamworld *cough cough*

Government on both sides

LP Management not knowing what to do

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Nimble said:

Yes, thanks! I hear that one of them collapsed, and they removed the other for symmetry.

You are quite correct in that. One of the towers was in bad shape and was in danger of collapsing. They removed them for the '81 opening and this face lasted until 1989, when the park closed for "renovations" The spires ( inspired by the Chrysler Building in New York) were not reinstated until the current face was installed in the 95 reopening.

• Like 1

I noticed that Luna Park was doing up the facade for the Wild Mouse on their IG story (They've made it 3 dimensional now which makes it look a lot nicer). They were also repainting some of the clown heads.

Nice to know they're still putting in work into things that need it, and not just the rides. I hope all the facades down 'Slideshow Alley' get done up in the future... I really think the park needs it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BringADecentParkToSydney said:

I noticed that Luna Park was doing up the facade for the Wild Mouse on their IG story (They've made it 3 dimensional now which makes it look a lot nicer). They were also repainting some of the clown heads.

Nice to know they're still putting in work into things that need it, and not just the rides. I hope all the facades down 'Slideshow Alley' get done up in the future... I really think the park needs it. 

Any chance of accessing this story or is it long gone now? If not, I usually go down to the park on Saturdays and take photos of the progress so I'll try and do that again this week; I've been posting the updates done to the Rotor on the Old Sydney Album Facebook page.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 19Michael96 said:

Any chance of accessing this story or is it long gone now? If not, I usually go down to the park on Saturdays and take photos of the progress so I'll try and do that again this week; I've been posting the updates done to the Rotor on the Old Sydney Album Facebook page.

Yes, I would love to see what the park is doing now, since my annual pass expired. Last time I went, The ROTOR's facade was only a swirl.

The one thing I want the park to do though, is remove the Big Top. It takes up most of the park, and that means there are not many rides. It looks like there is enough room for a smaller concert hall in Maloney's corner. The area that the Big Top takes up will fit those rides and more!