Luna Park Sydney's expansion

Nimble

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2018 at 5:51 PM, 19Michael96 said:

Multiplex will also be allowed to install rides where they are currently prohibited, including the Lavender Green section of the site on Crown land near the northern end of the Harbour Bridge.

Just to clarify this point, which has been  reported as a major bone of contention by the said North Sydney Councillor, Ian Mutton. Ride installs under the new legisaltion on Lavender Green are NOT going to be permitted. The only way that Luna Park can change this is to go through the normal DA process and have any addition or change to this area subject to the  findings and auspices of said process. That would mean that any resident objection would be met and listened to. This is detailed in the DPE public information e-mail that was sent as part of the annoucement of the changes pertaining to Luna Park, as outlined below.

Government changes to planning rules will keep Luna Park open

New rides can be introduced at Luna Park this Christmas thanks to the Department’s changes to state planning policies.

A recent Land and Environment Court decision meant Luna Park had to submit a development application each time a ride was moved or replaced. This would have impacted on the Park’s ability to frequently introduce new rides or modify existing ones to keep attracting customers.

The Department has considered all feedback on the proposed changes during a public exhibition and has introduced a simpler planning pathway for low impact rides and amusements.

New pathway, same stringent requirements

• The changes mean low impact rides and amusements can be installed as exempt or complying development. These new development pathways are only possible in areas where impacts to surrounding development can be kept to an acceptable level.
  • Noise, lighting, safety and heritage requirements already applying to the site will not change and will continue to be maintained.
  • Any development outside these parameters will require a development application.

Listening to feedback

More than 1400 submissions were received during the recent consultation process with nearly 90 per cent in support of the proposed changes.

In response to this feedback from the community, additional changes have been made:

• Lavender Green has been removed from amusement zone to ensure it stays green. New rides and amusements on Lavender Green will require a development application.
  • A clause has been introduced requiring Luna Park to notify neighbours within 20 metres of the site if a ride is going to be moved or modified through complying development.
  • Strobe lighting is not permitted as exempt or complying development.

The changes provide a clear planning framework for Luna Park Sydney and allows the site to continue to function as it has since 2002.

More information

• Phone: 1300 305 695

If you require translation assistance, please call 131 450.

Best regards

Alison Frame

Deputy Secretary, Policy and Strategy

Looking forward to the construction of the new Flying Carousel- perhaps @19Michael96 will be able to keep us regularly updated as to the ride installs progress from when it begins?

Very positive times for LPS- cannot wait to see what they have in store for us- of which I am reliably told will be of an excellent quality.

For now this month brings visits for me to Luna Park Melbourne, Fun Fields and Adventure Park. Looking forward to doing some trip reports and photos of these Victorian parks not often mentioned on these boards.

• Like 5

On 09/01/2019 at 2:17 PM, Jobe said:

Just to clarify this point, which has been  reported as a major bone of contention by the said North Sydney Councillor, Ian Mutton. Ride installs under the new legisaltion on Lavender Green are NOT going to be permitted. The only way that Luna Park can change this is to go through the normal DA process and have any addition or change to this area subject to the  findings and auspices of said process. That would mean that any resident objection would be met and listened to. This is detailed in the DPE public information e-mail that was sent as part of the annoucement of the changes pertaining to Luna Park, as outlined below.

Sadly it seems unlikely that any rides will ever go into Lavender Green in light of the fact the park now promotes that area as an outdoor venue space.

Sydney’s Luna Park Venues has unveiled a new look for its outdoor venue, Lavender Green, in advance of the summer months.

https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/luna-park-sydney-reveals-updated-outdoor-venue

On 09/01/2019 at 2:17 PM, Jobe said:

Looking forward to the construction of the new Flying Carousel

Very positive times for LPS- cannot wait to see what they have in store for us- of which I am reliably told will be of an excellent quality.

Yeah likewise, am looking forward to the construction of the Flying Carousel.  Am curious as to where in Maloney’s Corner it will fit as part of a new “family zone”.

I wonder if/when a new ride will fill the Flying Saucer space?

Last year, the harbourside amusement park announced a $20 million investment that was to include six new rides.

In March, it lodged a construction certificate for the new Flying Carousel in its Maloney’s Corner precinct. Rejected just four days later by the certifying authority, Luna Park Sydney Pty Ltd then challenged the decision in the Land and Environment Court.

https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/planning-reversal-spells-uncertainty-for-luna-park-sydney

The first of the new rides, the Flying Carousel, was supposed to form the centrepiece of a “family zone” designed to appeal to people with small children.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/australian-holidays/luna-park-owner-says-terrible-court-decision-could-spell-the-end-for-iconic-sydney-attraction/news-story/1606a49f6190e51589fc16c53b62f525

The Volare is a 64 seat Flying Swinger carousel from Italian rides manufacturer Preston & Barbieri which will feature customised orchestration.

https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/luna-park-sydney-wins-planning-battle-to-allow-addition-of-new-rides

On 12/01/2019 at 10:33 PM, Wil_i_am_not said:

I thought the ride has always supposed to go up near Maloney's Corner? That's just what I've been told my staff. Funny they opted to go with Preston and Barbieri, I thought it was going to be a Zamperla unit? 

The positioning of the Flying Carousel has been confirmed by Brad Loxley, the Senior Amusement Park Manager, and that is on he old Flying saucer site. Of course, that was well over 12 months ago but I dont think that plans have changed in that period of time. 

In reality, I dont think you could get a better site than this for this type of ride- the elevated position of the ride will  give it an extra thrill factor as the ride rotates and swings out across the Midway. Will look fabulous!!

In other news Brad Loxley, the aforementioned senior rides manager at Luna Park, has left the park to take up a position in Vietnam's Sun World. This is a huge loss for the park as Brad had worked at the park for well over 20 years and is well respected in the industry. I had managed to strike up an excellent relationship with Brad over the years and conversed on quite a number of subjects relating to the park, he was nothing but a consummate professional and his love for Luna Park was great to see.  Luna Park is now looking for a senior Manager to fill his shoes!!! Anyone on these pages care to apply?? 

https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/brad-loxley-to-depart-luna-park-sydney-after-20-years-to-join-vietnams-sun-world

Its great to see an Australian do extremely well in the industry!!

Good luck Brad, we wish you all the best from the forums here at Parkz.

Edited by Jobe
  • Like 3

On 15/01/2019 at 10:06 AM, Jobe said:

In other news Brad Loxley, the aforementioned senior rides manager at Luna Park, has left the park to take up a position in Vietnam's Sun World. This is a huge loss for the park as Brad had worked at the park for well over 20 years and is well respected in the industry. I had managed to strike up an excellent relationship with Brad over the years and conversed on quite a number of subjects relating to the park, he was nothing but a consummate professional and his love for Luna Park was great to see.  Luna Park is now looking for a senior Manager to fill his shoes!!! Anyone on these pages care to apply?? 

I just hope Brad's successor is as good as he was and has a vast knowledge/respect regarding the history of the park.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2019 at 11:25 PM, 19Michael96 said:

There isn't much to report on the expansion front, although I did notice two things: 1. The Shooting Gallery has now become a space for some of the park's vintage shooting arcade games such as "Target Zero", etc. The old shooting background is still visible, but I can only assume it'll be repainted to fit theming?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a5e1.thumb.jpg.341f086c5e4c213f32f6961a4dff2d1c.jpg

Oh noo! I used to like the shooting gallery before it closed.

Also, according to the park map, the Flying Carousel is named the Volare! and will be opening in March.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 19Michael96 said:

UPDATE: THIS IS NOT A DRILL PEOPLE! WORK HAS OFFICIALLY BEGUN ON LUNA PARK'S NEW RIDE, THE "VOLARE"! FINALLY, FOR THE FIRST TIME IN SIX YEARS, LPS WILL OFFICIALLY HAVE A NEW PERMANENT RIDE! IT'S TOO EXCITING I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!! 

Anyway here are some photos I took of the progress this evening:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a5fe.thumb.jpg.b836ff75d11e3f18e0422001c6928123.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a5ff.thumb.jpg.85c950ffc116f1051fdc3bb5f6eb5553.jpg9jpDlRkCQua7skbTH10lXA_thumb_a600.thumb.jpg.5753256f27bba55dbd6a92c99263932f.jpg

So far the base of the ride has been set up, although if your mind is in the gutter like mine, it has some very unfortunate looking implications...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a5fd.thumb.jpg.8a2545b13356a9dff687382b4416dc87.jpg

These seem to be the outer decorations for the ride, which from the looks of it, will feature LPS character staples such as Luna Belle and Luna Bob.

Was a pretty busy evening for the rest of the park. Lunar festivities are still ongoing and the Big Top was hosting the Sydney leg of the "Rupaul's Drag Race - Werk the World Tour", so there was a LONG line of Drag Race fans throughout the park.

Excellent work @19Michael96. Thanks for the update!! It looks like the Volare will meet its expected opening in late March. Its great to see a new permanent ride come to LPS at long last!! Fingers crossed this now signals the start of the previously announced $20 million ride reinvestment stage- lets hope this is carried out as  planned. Bring on that often hinted at and much needed new coaster!

I will be passing that way on Monday afternoon- will check and see what progress is being made.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jobe said:

As nice as this area on top of the carpark currently is, I still maintain that it is an underutilised part of the park. If there was a way to connect this are to the midway below ( via a stairwell or rampway) then this area could be used in a far more utilitarian way.

I think they should somehow make the carpark's lifts go outside the face, since when I was young and didn't go to the park as much, I was always disappointed in how you always popped out behind the face.