Luna Park Sydney's expansion

Nimble

So, I was reading the Sam Marshall book for the millionth time, and as I looked at the same photo from the '90s that I have millions of times, I saw this ride that looked like the spider from LPM.Screenshot_380.thumb.png.e5790409c2802957d94b83c592053b4e.png

So I whip up google earth (the old version) and use the satellite view time machine, it's not there... It's probably due to low quality images, but can anyone shed some light on this?Screenshot_379.thumb.png.47e085e46482c96c61699913b65bbac9.png

That was the Octopus (unsure if this was the name or not) that operated til about 2002 and was then moved to Aussie world, where it continued to operate til about 2015 or 2016. Parkz says that the manufacturer was the Eyerly Aircraft Company, however I'm pretty sure that it was manufactured by some Italian company.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

That was the Octopus (unsure if this was the name or not) that operated til about 2002 and was then moved to Aussie world, where it continued to operate til about 2015 or 2016. Parkz says that the manufacturer was the Eyerly Aircraft Company, however I'm pretty sure that it was manufactured by some Italian company.

Yes it was known as the Octopus; it had sea theming and everything. Was installed in the park during it's 80's incarnation. Came back when the park reopened in 1995. Had to be sold off in 2002 cause Multiplex couldn't find any room for it. Here's a picture of it in the 80's:

10400776_10205916737306003_830945738048012256_n.jpg.93bef64b5f297ddd2f26160c6ff9e161.jpg 

4 hours ago, 19Michael96 said:

Yes it was known as the Octopus; it had sea theming and everything. Was installed in the park during it's 80's incarnation. Came back when the park reopened in 1995. Had to be sold off in 2002 cause Multiplex couldn't find any room for it. Here's a picture of it in the 80's:

10400776_10205916737306003_830945738048012256_n.jpg.93bef64b5f297ddd2f26160c6ff9e161.jpg 

Actually there was a very similar Octopus that came to Luna Park in the late 70's- please see this fabulous home video on Youtube from 1978. It shows the ride in the park at this time.  This was a 3 armed version and in the video looks fairly ordinary compared to the unit that arrived with the 1980's incarnation. ( fabulous photo by the way @19Michael96!!)

17-peter_callas_the_deep_digital_mural_5_metres_x_80_me_600h.jpg.b5cac74aed798615fd8afa2b20fc40ea.jpg

Here is a pic of the ride when it nestled in the cradle of the Big Dipper lift hill , turnaround and first drop from 1995 until 2001.

9 hours ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

@Wil_i_am_not yeah you are right- its definitely not an Eyerly Aircraft Company unit. You are right in it probably being an Italian model- the plans for this ride have been shared and licensed many times over by different companies. Commonly called a Polyp, they were first made by Schwarzkopf, then have been made under licence by manufacturers such as Sartori, SDC, Soriani and Moser , Gerslauter and finally Anton Schwarzkopf's son's company , Wieland Schwarzkopf. I am unsure what the manufacturer of LPS's unit was, however.

LPS's unit was then sold to Aussie World as has been stated, where it stayed until  it suffered an incident believed to have been where one of the cars collapsed with riders in it. Aussie World was allegedly slugged a $25,000 fine for this mess!. The ride was then decommissioned  with unverified accounts that the park sold the ride to a broker who then sold it to a park in Asia somewhere.

5 hours ago, 19Michael96 said:

Had to be sold off in 2002 cause Multiplex couldn't find any room for it. Here's a picture of it in the 80's:

Interesting- I have never heard this!! What source did you hear this from? Not that I dont believe you, but the park could have easily have fit this ride in the 2004 opening- there was plenty of room in Maloney's Corner for it or it could even possibly have fit in next to Tumblebug. If that was the official reason then I am calling bullshit on that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jobe said:

please see this fabulous home video on Youtube from 1978.

I've already seen this video many, many times. I didn't mention it because I figured it was a hired ride for the holidays. That video also shows footage of a tilt-a-whirl located in a space where the hurricane was usually located. Now LPS's previous version of ride, the "Whirler" had been decommissioned by 1951, so I figured that the one in the video was a hire out for the holidays. Same with the three-armed octopus.

1 hour ago, Jobe said:

Interesting- I have never heard this!! What source did you hear this from?

I remember reading about in the early, early forums on this site, back when Parkz first began. I've occasionally done some archive reading and in one of the forums, it was brought up via a letter from Multiplex how they didn't have use for it. I think it was one of your posts actually but I don't actually remember. It was over 15 years ago...

UPDATE: Here it is! And it was the first post you've ever made on this site! Happy late 16th anniversary!! https://www.parkz.com.au/forums/topic/73-luna-park-just-for-fun/?tab=comments#comment-546

Anyway, if you wanna get more specific, here's the real reason for the Octopus' removal right here: 

On 04/07/2003 at 8:49 PM, Jobe said:

the Octopus also has been sold as it was not feasible to have it refurbished

So it wasn't a lack of room at all. Sorry, my bad! Though there was at one a dilemma of choosing to keep it over the Ranger (now known as the "Moon Ranger"). That must've been where I got confused. Here's the source:

On 29/01/2003 at 11:15 PM, Jobe said:

With regard to the Ranger and Octopus, it was just a question of trying to find some space in which to locate them. Metro Edgley was keen to keep all the rides however it has been a compromise between finding sufficient space and also being a considerate neighbour.

And another thing I will note: 

On 29/01/2003 at 11:15 PM, Jobe said:

It has always been Metro Edgley's dream to return the River Caves to Luna Park and even though they are not part of the current plans, it is hoped that in the not to distant future they can be built.

I know it's been 16 years and nothing's happened yet but with these new ride additions and renovations... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 19Michael96

That three armed octopus (Super Screw) was indeed a travelling ride and was Australian built (could have been built by Kevin Ferrari in the late 60's/early 70's), and was hired out by the park. Unfortunately it was scrapped years ago when it was sold to an owner that no longer needed it, so it was simply left it out to rot on a showground somewhere.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pin142 said:

Guessing it won't be open by Sunday/Monday 😂

Hi Michael, thanks for your question and interest in our new ride, currently under construction.

We're excited to announce that we will soon announce when we will make the announcement about a date for us to announce when we will announce the new ride. Keep an eye on our social media channels in the coming weeks!

• Like 2

On 18/02/2019 at 12:12 AM, 19Michael96 said:

remember reading about in the early, early forums on this site, back when Parkz first began. I've occasionally done some archive reading and in one of the forums, it was brought up via a letter from Multiplex how they didn't have use for it. I think it was one of your posts actually but I don't actually remember. It was over 15 years ago...

UPDATE: Here it is! And it was the first post you've ever made on this site! Happy late 16th anniversary!! https://www.parkz.com.au/forums/topic/73-luna-park-just-for-fun/?tab=comments#comment-546

Hahahaha...16 years ago!! Wow! Nice find! That's from before the site was even called Parkz!!!  Very cool!!

Its good to see things are rapidly taking shape. The ride will come together quite quickly now. Great work and lets hope this is just the tip of the iceberg for changes to LPS over the next couple of years.

• Like 2

Just a quick update that as we all know, Volare is virtually complete and should begin testing by the end of the week. There is also an orchestral accompaniment that is set to feature with every ride cycle. This should bring an excellent atmosphere to the ride and will be  unique for a Waveswinger in this country. I get that Zierer are Waver Swingers of choice in the industry, but from the surface, it appears that Preston and Barbieri have done an excellent job on this particular unit. This will be a most welcome addition to LPS's ride lineup and I predict that it will be a firm family favourite.

Below are some pics courtesy of Brad Loxley that he kindly sent me.  This ride has certainly had a long genesis and it has been a long time coming but I think it will have an enormous impact on LPS as a whole.

747862349_Volare1.thumb.jpg.21afeda2a59bfbf09e32d9b80656c20c.jpg2078568604_Volare2.thumb.jpg.29344dc4ee0d95d13234c680fe1b9068.jpg1056706344_Volare3.thumb.jpg.a0e240181a4625a035a911a09164c7fe.jpg

On 22/02/2019 at 6:00 PM, AlexB said:

I'm just glad to see you learned how to use paragraphs! ;) Happy 16th old boy!

Hahaha. Yep we all evolve eventually AlexB!!! 😆

• Like 4

Thanks for the photos. I wanted to head into town today to see whats happened with the ride but wont be able too. I love how it looks so grand and elegant. Its the best looking themed ride in the park for sure. At first I was unsure about the location but its a great view from the section of the park. This attraction is much better suited to this site then the UFO was.

• Like 1

The wooden boards are a gorgeous touch and I can't wait to see this thing flying over the midway, will certainly create an interesting atmosphere for people walking below. I'm still surprised at how fast the ride has gone up, it's feels like only last week that we started seeing parts arrive...

Edited by Wil_i_am_not
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Nimble said:

They didn't do this much when the Hair Raiser was coming...

I have no basis but my own opinion, but i feel like they might have had an inkling hair raiser was technically not permitted to be constructed, and they approached it quietly to avoid drawing attention until it was done.

Could be completely wrong, but this is my thoughts on it.

These days, with all the media surrounding the ministerial intervention, the land and environment court, the publicity and so on - i feel like now is a great time to say 'hey look, they said we could build rides, so we immediately did!"