Luna Park Sydney's expansion

Nimble

7 hours ago, Nimble said:

Today? It's cloudy, but not raining at my side of the city...

It's been pouring on and off all day. Before I got the ferry to the park, there was a huge downpour that luckily didn't last by the time I arrived.

Speaking of which: WEEKLY VOLARE UPDATE! There's not much to comment on honestly. Ride's pretty much complete, just a few small details here and there. There has been some work done to the entrance however. And a nice little curtain mock up has been made as you enter. So that's nice.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a6ca.thumb.jpg.ba5de2d39e9b055573936d085b9cf14e.jpg

In other news, the "Hungry Horse" cafe has received some additional theming. None of these horse look like they're heritage though; they were probably custom made for display purposes.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a6cc.thumb.jpg.2083261f33689202b54ad8b15e77419c.jpg 

IqSVXYe5TjKSY4ocZoBNbw_thumb_a6cd.thumb.jpg.5df02cd634f74767ac39326e123be167.jpg 

FQyGcC80Tqm2WKAiT6DWOg_thumb_a6ce.thumb.jpg.f1cc2dbd8c1e090035ba09fb274c5b00.jpg

I might enquire if the park has a new opening date for the Volare or if the background theming will be redone eventually. Doubt they'll have an answer though. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 19Michael96 said:

Anyway, TIME FOR MY FINAL WEEKLY VOLARE UPDATE! Seeing as the ride is pretty much complete now, this is basically going to be my last update focused on the construction progress of this ride. Here's some pics I took this evening: 

Here's the "bridge" entry to the ride. Obviously not as grand as the ones of yore but it's pretty nice. And considering the main entrance is the Helter Skelter structure, it's nothing too major.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a701.thumb.jpg.11e4600763ba33b94f6548b79c6b9941.jpg

Now THIS is something that surprised me. They've fixed the giant fake plug that attaches to the Helter Skelter (ex Lighthouse) structure. I honestly thought they might've been removing this bit of theming considering it was from the 90's era of LPS and they might've wanted to move forward but low and behold... 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a702.thumb.jpg.86a5e2ec95e8d4d2e8e0770fb574c677.jpg

And finally, here's a video I took of the Volare in action:

In other news, the Tango Train is down AGAIN. I'm hoping this will FINALLY be the time when they finish painting the office behind the ride, but I doubt it. 

It looks great! Too bad they didn't fix the backdrop though. They had months to do that.

32 minutes ago, Nimble said:

Went to the park today. It's an amazing ride. I'd prefer if they use the same songs like the rest of the park on the ride's speakers because when you go into the Helter Skelter, you can hear swing and orchestral clash. Not a very good combination.

Personally I really liked the score for the ride, think it gave it great ambience which is lacking from the other rides. 

Rode it today so here is my first impression/thoughts :)

- Super powerful chairswing, maybe I’ve only ever been on not up to par chairswings, but damn this one is so smooth, fast and powerful!

- no shading over the queue?? Not only is the queue line super short, the sun BURNED

- maybe this is because the ride is new, but the loading was super slow and made queueing in the sun even more unbearable.

- didn’t really mind the city background to be honest, kinda fits with the apartments right behind.

- makes SUCH an impact on the aesthetics of the park, you can see it from anywhere on the main strip.

I understand the cityscape was updated to include some iconic Sydney buildings and also clouds were added at the base to suggest that Volare is flying above the clouds. So you can expect that there won’t be any further changes to the backdrop in the near term.

Edited by GoGoBoy
  • Like 2

It certainly is the closest thing to a Zierer, but you're right, they would have pushed the theming to a more personalised look, and some of the Zierers ive seen in Europe were insanely well themed!

Now it's time for the park to either give some love to the Break Dance and Troika, or find them nice homes within Australia, preferably Victoria haha

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

Got down to the park today to check out Luna Park's lates ride - the Volarè (and can confirm it is pronounced VOL-ARE-AY). So, first impressions. Walking into the park, it absolutely DOMINATES the midway, and although the chairs don't entirely swing out past the edge, it's certainly incredible being up so high.The backdrop (as others have mentioned) has been updated and features some new buildings, as well as clouds at the bottom. IMO, the backdrop fits in quite nicely, which was definitely surprising but nice to see.

As for the ride itself, I had two rides on it throughout the day and this thing absolutely halls ass! One of the more forceful wave swingers I've ever done, and much more so than the Zierer models. The drives are super loud, which certainly adds to the atmosphere of the ride, along with the screaming of riders. Operations were a bit slow, but considering the 64 capacity, it only took around 15 minutes to get on with a relatively full queue, which was nice.

As for the appearance of the ride itself, I think that although Zierer would have done a better job, the overall appearance of the ride is pretty spot on, and certainly fits in with the aesthetic of Luna Park.The characters murals surrounding the top of the ride are a really nice touch, and the lighting also reflects a typical old-fashioned funfair/carnival vibe. 

I have a on-ride video I filmed (with park permission of course) that I will post as soon as my computer figures out how to handle 4K clips, until then, enjoy the pictures.

GOPR0107.thumb.JPG.0d9c3a4889b125ab6f4888e5d91a47df.JPG

GOPR0102.thumb.JPG.16dcd2e13306b85d6ced08966e65f8fc.JPG

GOPR0106.thumb.JPG.00ee318c680d84abdee37ac71066332e.JPG

Great pics mate- nice job!!!

Yep the Volare is certainly looking to be a big hit for the park- the public are really loving it!!

Great to see that the theming around the ride has been restored ( love that giant electrical plug -thanks for the pics on that @19Michael96!!)

Looking forward to getting a ride on it  as soon as I can.

17 minutes ago, HussRainbow87 said:

Now it's time for the park to either give some love to the Break Dance and Troika, or find them nice homes within Australia, preferably Victoria haha

Yeah a little bit of love for them would be nice but I think like the Moon Ranger, their days at LPS are numbered. You can bet that in order to continue the $20 million ride reinvestment, these older rides are going to have to make way for the newer attractions as they come online. It would be nice to see them stay in Australia though- perhaps one of the Victorian theme parks like Funfields or Adventure Park or even Aussie World could be a potential home for these rare rides.

• Like 1

Would love to see the original HUSS rides stay with a bit of TLC, but I don't think they fit with the new old-school funfair aesthetic that the park in trying to achieve with their new additions at the moment. Bit of a shame but hope they do find a new home where they are properly looked after. Ranger didn't look the greatest today unfortunately...

Might get shut down for this idea haha, but I always have thought that a 'breakdance-in-a-box' style ride would really suit one of our parks well (if not Luna Park, one of the Victorian parks maybe). Just imagine a Huss breakdance at top speed, with a bunch of awesome lighting/strobe effects and pumping music all in an enclosed space, and an awesome facade to top it off. Always just thought it would be a cool idea to see.

1 minute ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

Might get shut down for this idea haha, but I always have thought that a 'breakdance-in-a-box' style ride would really suit one of our parks well (if not Luna Park, one of the Victorian parks maybe). Just imagine a Huss breakdance at top speed, with a bunch of awesome lighting/strobe effects and pumping music all in an enclosed space, and an awesome facade to top it off. Always just thought it would be a cool idea to see.

I think that could work well. Very similar concept to Aussie World's Rock n Roll Rebel ( think enclosed Tango Train with said strobe effects)

Yeah I would like to see Tumblebug at least be retained but I guess the future is uncertain for them all.

Time will tell.

28 minutes ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

Would love to see the original HUSS rides stay with a bit of TLC, but I don't think they fit with the new old-school funfair aesthetic that the park in trying to achieve with their new additions at the moment. Bit of a shame but hope they do find a new home where they are properly looked after. Ranger didn't look the greatest today unfortunately...

We just need this here, and ill be happy, although the almost 9-minute ride did almost make me pass away haha

Edited by HussRainbow87
  • Like 1

The Huss rides at the park are ageing and not terribly well as we would all be aware. The breakdance can easily be replaced with a similar model and I think we will see the park do such a thing. The Huss Ranger tho I am not sure about. Over the years it has started to run much slower and the timing from the automatic swing to the drive direction is getting worse. It has had a few modifications done do it that I would say it will see its days out in its current location.