Luna Park Sydney's expansion

Nimble

Money is the key word here. The Ranger has been a staple attraction for the park but it seems like its days are starting to run out. It is randomly down a lot and honestly, the amount of mechanical noise it makes puts wipeout to shame. I would love to see it stay but a more modern version that allows for faster load times would be much more acceptable. The one thing the Huss model has going for it is the size of its footprint is rather small.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, StingRay said:

allows for faster load times

The load times aren't a ride issue. They're a Luna Park issue. The only ride that loads fast is the Hair Raiser. Everything else takes way too long. Of course, more staffing would help with this but to be honest, I've seen heaps of staff on rides at times so even then, I reckon it's just their loading and unloading methods that need to be re-looked at.

In all honesty, the HUSS rides are great, but I feel that the back area behind Coney Island (which I think is called Maloney's corner?) has a lot of space wasted. 

If they get rid of the breakdance and ranger, and move the toddler rides somewhere else (If there even is somewhere else they can move them too), then I think that entire section could see more major/better themed attractions added.

Edited by BringADecentParkToSydney

Load times essentially come down to how well a crew work together or how the individual works. I know in the years I have done this stuff if you haul ass you get the job done much more efficiently for the guest. But for LPS it can be busy one minute and two hours later the park is dead. Being a small park without an entry ticket does cause this issue I believe. 

The worst two rides honestly the park currently have for loading are the tumblebug and spider. Both have suffered this issue when utilising one staff member but usually, work great when they have two or three working on each ride.Maloneys corner has some potential but as to what you do I have no idea. It is the one section of the park however that is exposed to the other side of Lavender Bay and residents from that side have complained about things before.

I'd like to see a new breakdance named the Whirler, putting the replica of the original ride's bridge to use. And Maloney's Corner definitely needs work done on the theming. The only 1930's themed ride is the Ranger, with the façade using a painting based off the 1902 movie, "A trip to the moon" which had it's own ride at the original Luna Park Coney Island.moon.jpg.c354065cef91466ebe103062b414eabd.jpgmelies.thumb.jpg.81f6e194ea0bbe62d6d59146396f0fb6.jpg

Also, LPS NEEDS to fix this on their site. I don't remember the park being called "Luna Park Adventure"Screenshot_4.thumb.png.fa768798f157a3b44cc139c09e1a2acb.png

On 02/04/2019 at 9:27 PM, StingRay said:

The worst two rides honestly the park currently have for loading are the tumblebug and spider. Both have suffered this issue when utilising one staff member but usually, work great when they have two or three working on each ride.Maloneys corner has some potential but as to what you do I have no idea. It is the one section of the park however that is exposed to the other side of Lavender Bay and residents from that side have complained about things before.

On 02/04/2019 at 6:03 PM, BringADecentParkToSydney said:

In all honesty, the HUSS rides are great, but I feel that the back area behind Coney Island (which I think is called Maloney's corner?) has a lot of space wasted. 

Yeah 100% agree here guys. I am pretty certain from what I have been told that the Maloney's Corner will receive a much needed facelift with the ongoing  $25 million new ride investment. If they can reproduce something on the level of their recent refurb of the Helter Skelter cafe then it bodes very well for what is to come.

22 hours ago, 19Michael96 said:

I checked out some of the progress at Luna Park again this week. The Rotor has it's cartoon figures back on the facade.

Thats excellent @19Michael96. Its these small attention to details that make such a difference- lets hope that they continue this with actually finishing the decorative roof on the left hand side of the Helter Skelter cafe as you pointed out a couple of pages ago.

LPS are also ramping up their Easter offerings with a special school holiday Funfest.

As well as the new addition of Volare , there are also 2 temporary rides in Body Rock and  Auto Racer.

This is great value for anyone who is anticipating visiting the park over the Easter school holidays- it should see the park be quite busy!!!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, triplex23 said:

Wouldn't it be great to see LPS rebuild a new 'Big Dipper' as part of their plans? Does anyone think this is out of the question? 

Why repeat history again. They don't need to suffer more legal issues. Heck people complain about the tumblebug and the rides in maloneys corner.

So in closing no need to poke the bear with a stick

17 hours ago, triplex23 said:

Wouldn't it be great to see LPS rebuild a new 'Big Dipper' as part of their plans? Does anyone think this is out of the question? 

Yes.

14 hours ago, HussRainbow87 said:

Interesting to see the SBF Tango Train is proving to be a nightmare... MACK through and through for a good Musik Express! It's like buying an Ali Baba over a Rainbow :P

Sigh... look @Jobe already gave his two cents on this matter months ago and I agree with him wholeheartedly.

On 15/10/2018 at 6:29 PM, Jobe said:

The SBF Tango Train , in my opinion, is a well presented and well themed ride. It has an excellent lighting suite and it looks brilliant in its place along the midway. I certainly concede that it does not present as  great a ride as the Mack model but lets give Luna Park a little kudos here. They replaced an old ride that was maintenance heavy and was likely costing money with extensive downtime. Instead of just ripping it out, they gave the ride its due and turned its leaving into a positive and then replaced it with a BRAND NEW ride that replicates the ride it replaces. It is this commitment to new investment in the park that should be celebrated here.

Everything new has teething troubles every now and then, and the SBF Tango Train was operating perfectly fine for a good two years before it went down for maintenance. For all we know it could be coming good again very soon.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, triplex23 said:

Wouldn't it be great to see LPS rebuild a new 'Big Dipper' as part of their plans?

You're basically saying "Wouldn't it be great to see LPS close for another 10 years due to noise complains from nearby residents?". That's already happened, it didn't end well. LPS better not try that again.

Edited by Nimble
  • Like 3

AFAIK it is known that LPS has considered getting another coaster, specifically a Maurer Spinning coaster, due to them consulting Pitt & Sherry for reasons related to this, but the Park has so limited room and a fairly strict height limit that there are so little options in what to buy. As much as I'd like to see a coaster the money is better spent acquiring some good flats instead.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

AFAIK it is known that LPS has considered getting another coaster, specifically a Maurer Spinning coaster, due to them consulting Pitt & Sherry for reasons related to this, but the Park has so limited room and a fairly strict height limit that there are so little options in what to buy. As much as I'd like to see a coaster the money is better spent acquiring some good flats instead.

Yeah 100% correct here @Baconjack. Although nothing has been confirmed, there is very strong evidence to suggest that LPS will be adding a Maurer Spinning Coaster at some point in the future. The consultation with Pitt and Sherry , which is confirmed on their website is as solid as it gets. Also, the previous Senior park Manager, Brad Loxely , hinted strongly to me that another coaster will be coming to LPS.

This is great news and a coaster such as a spinning Maurer would be an excellent addition for the park and also an Australian first. Lets hope that now the legal issues of DA's and adding rides has been resolved , that these plans are now firmly back on track.

20 hours ago, triplex23 said:

Could the park build another large coaster? Given the new laws that have been documented in regards to adding rides, I think  that they certainly could. However , the park has several points to consider in regards to height and also placement within the park, before they could do so. I think that any large coaster would be subject to a DA , as in this case , it would more than likely exceed the limitations that have been placed on this process.

A better question would be"Does LPS have the will to build a new large coaster?" On this point i would most certainly say no. Given the issues that could arise from such a install and as has already been pointed out , they want to remain on good terms with their neighbors. A new 100 foot plus coaster would not be welcome, unfortunately.

LPS does need another coaster and I feel that this WILL occur with the ride reinvestment program that is now currently being undertaken.

One point to note is that Luna Park still hold the trademark to the name Big Dipper, so it could still be utilised on any new coaster. Given the awesome Immelmann curve that is the feature of a Maurer spinner, its easy to see how the name "Big Dipper could be used for a coaster of this type. I personally would prefer to use the name Wildcat for it, but Big Dipper works just as well. I would love to see any new coaster use the Tumblebug space- this may require some elements being built over the back end of the slab but it would mean that the Big Dipper facade would be put to far better use and for a coaster, as it was originally intended.

• Like 1

On 08/04/2019 at 10:15 PM, StingRay said:

They don't need to suffer more legal issues.

18 hours ago, Nimble said:

You're basically saying "Wouldn't it be great to see LPS close for another 10 years due to noise complains from nearby residents?". That's already happened, it didn't end well. LPS better not try that again.

As Jobe mentioned, the changes that have occurred since Cyclone resided there as Big Dipper would probably mean - provided they followed the proper approvals process - the nearby residents would not be able to complain and shut the park down as they once did.

Personally, if they were going to build a large scale coaster, i'd prefer to see them try something similar to california screamin - a steel coaster, made to resemble a woodie, to pay homage to the seaside amusement parks of old (ala cyclone).

Whether they could fit it - who knows - Disney did a wonderful job of building the Pier in and amongst the CaliScreamin ride infrastructure - so it could be done...

• Like 1

If LPS had space then that could work. But as it stands right now it is difficult to fit a coaster in the park's current layout which doesn't involve cramming shit elsewhere. You either put the coaster in Maloney's Corner, use the land up to Lavender Green and move the kids rides, or put it in Tumble Bug's spot where there isn't much space to work with but you have the Big Dipper facade around nearby.

Maloney's Corner is the better spot for a coaster. There is so much more land to work with. That area is expanded when you take Lavender Green into account (most likely not going to happen, but a man can dream). If the rumoured Spinning coaster is built, it is more than likely going to be built here. Tumble Bug's plot is AFAIK too small to house the off the shelf Maurer spinning coaster LPS is looking to buy.

Maloney's corner is where I would put my money when it comes to a new coaster. Plenty of room and the only close building you would have to deal with is the office block that is located in the Maloney's corner. It would also be rather fitting if it was placed in this area as the previous big dipper used to be somewhat in that area also.

I'm sure you could somewhat soundproof the area for the lavender bay residents by placing a decorative wall or something in the way.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, StingRay said:

I'm sure you could somewhat soundproof the area for the lavender bay residents by placing a decorative wall or something in the way.

It was mentioned earlier, but California Screamin (or sadly, Incredi-coaster) does a great job with their scream shields. I'd like to do a see larger roller coaster put into Luna Park to help put it on the map. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 6:17 PM, CaptainLazerGuns said:

It was mentioned earlier, but California Screamin (or sadly, Incredi-coaster) does a great job with their scream shields. I'd like to do a see larger roller coaster put into Luna Park to help put it on the map. 

On ‎9‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 7:24 PM, Jobe said:

Could the park build another large coaster? Given the new laws that have been documented in regards to adding rides, I think  that they certainly could. However , the park has several points to consider in regards to height and also placement within the park, before they could do so..

LPS does need another coaster and I feel that this WILL occur with the ride reinvestment program that is now currently being undertaken.

Even if LPS could find space and soundproof screams of riders on a large-scale rollercoaster, the residents will think of something else to complain about, like them losing part of their precious view of the bridge and opera house.

Edited by Nimble
adding italics
  • Like 2