Luna Park Sydney's expansion

Nimble

Beforehand, I wish to apologize if I am sounding strict about it being a personal opinion and ideas. It is just that more than a few people get more than a bit cranky about my opinion and ideas more than a few times. I also do apologize if I sound extremely pro Luna Park, as I have a conflict of interest.

In SIMPLE TERMS,
In MY OPINION, I had a read of all 3 documents, and I agree exactly what they said, except for a few stuff in the community newsletter that I don't have time to talk about. I believe that it will be a extraordinary addition to Luna Park. And I do not see a reason for the neighbors to complain. Just like with most stuff.

MY IDEAS. I am thinking of the current proposal to have a environment of a old park called Geauga Lake that was around until between 2005-2007. I have a photo of here of what I am thinking. I am also considering about the Old Milsons Point Station being restored for public use. Multiple options include, staying as a siding, made into a non operational station like Cooma, used for heritage transport events, replica of Australia's first Escalator, and more! If lucky and these current plans are cancelled, the area could be used as a Family Coaster. As there is a silent demand for gentle rides here in Sydney, and generally in Australia, and in other places too. Something like Junior Red Force in Spain. It also doesn't have to be in Lavender Green either, It can be inside Maloney's Corner, right next to Coney Island. As it is between 300 to 400 square meters. What do you think?

Capture 65.PNG

Capture 66.jpg

On 08/05/2020 at 10:42 PM, AheadMatthewawsome said:

I am also considering about the Old Milsons Point Station being restored for public use. Multiple options include, staying as a siding, made into a non operational station like Cooma, used for heritage transport events, replica of Australia's first Escalator, and more! If lucky and these current plans are cancelled, the area could be used as a Family Coaster.

I would rather have some of the old station land acquired by the park and a new River Caves ride built on it. 

We have that layout as Mining Race Coaster at Gumbuya World.

Junior Red Force - Children's attractions in the Kids' Area in ...

033e514247078742e5b89d15c78343ca.jpg

Maybe it could be possible to move Mining Race Coaster to Luna Park?

I would rather have some of the old station land acquired by the park and a new River Caves ride built on it. 

I know a lot of people who would reject to demolishing the sidings, as they are important to the transport timetable, and are used for enthusiast events. I would love to have a River Caves ride, but I would have a second thought on demolishing the sidings. Luna Park has already demolished about a quarter of the sidings. If they demolish anymore, 8 car trains will be unable to park there. Have a look at Luna Park today vs 77 years ago. 

Capture 67.PNG

Capture 68.PNG

Edited by AheadMatthewawsome
To add missing quotes.

17 minutes ago, AheadMatthewawsome said:

Maybe it could be possible to move Mining Race Coaster to Luna Park?

But the parks have separate owners?!

17 minutes ago, AheadMatthewawsome said:

If they demolish anymore, 8 car trains will be unable to park there.

The thing is, its only 4 trains that can be kept there so its a very small facility, and it seems a bit over the top to maintain a winding section of track and stabling on a prime section of waterfront land. Surely they can just add an additional 4 stabling tracks to another facility elsewhere on the T1 or T9.

Edited by Gazza

22 minutes ago, Gazza said:

The thing is, its only 4 trains that can be kept there so its a very small facility, and it seems a bit over the top to maintain a winding section of track and stabling on a prime section of waterfront land. Surely they can just add an additional 4 stabling tracks to another facility elsewhere on the T1 or T9.

When the next section of the Metro opens, will they require that many trains for the line anyway? The moves to get those trains into service must be very inefficient as well. 

But the parks have separate owners?!

It could be possible if they are willing to sell the roller coaster to Luna Park, I know that is unlikely. I am thinking it would be more likely for the Luna Park to buy a new roller coaster of the same type from the manufacturer.

The thing is, its only 4 trains that can be kept there, and it seems a bit over the top to maintain a winding section of track and stabling on a prime section of waterfront land. Surely they can just add an additional 4 stabling tracks to another facility elsewhere on the T1 or T9.

I have found some land at Waverton and St Leonards which could have sidings. 3 at Waverton, and 4 at St Leonard's.
All I want is the the old line to not be destroyed, and can be used for heritage events.

Capture 69.PNG

Capture 70.PNG

Edited by AheadMatthewawsome
To add missing photos.

23 hours ago, AheadMatthewawsome said:

It could be possible if they are willing to sell the roller coaster to Luna Park, I know that is unlikely. I am thinking it would be more likely for the Luna Park to buy a new roller coaster of the same type from the manufacturer.

Why would a fairly new park be wanting to sell their rides?

23 hours ago, AheadMatthewawsome said:

All I want is the the old line to not be destroyed, and can be used for heritage events.

I thought about that too, but ultimatley i think its unfair to lock up the land for heritage events that might only occur every few weeks, whereas if you opened it up and removed the tracks, people could enjoy it every day,

On 17/05/2020 at 8:51 AM, AheadMatthewawsome said:

Have a look at Luna Park today vs 77 years ago. 

1943, war-era sydney is not the 2020 sydney of today.

You don't need to store 8 car passenger trains on prime harbour-side land...

...But you might as well because the entire siding is protected under NSW Heritage listings:

345986635081f1d44e3b714b1f83cb57df2.jpg

https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/heritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?ID=4801022

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AlexB said:

1943, war-era sydney is not the 2020 sydney of today.

You don't need to store 8 car passenger trains on prime harbour-side land...

...But you might as well because the entire siding is protected under NSW Heritage listings:

345986635081f1d44e3b714b1f83cb57df2.jpg

https://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/heritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?ID=4801022

To add to that, there are plans afoot to turn this railway corridor into the Sydney Harbour Highline, after the line is deemed not needed/required. This is a great plan and will preserve one of the lines for heritage trains and events whilst also turning the other line into a combined walkway and cycleway for the full length of the corridor. Perhaps when this occurs LPS could negotiate to recieve part of the land that the sidings finish at, thereby enlargening Maloneys Corner and making it a more even square set of land for the park to utilise.. (See below pics with circled area)

image.thumb.png.8bfb5544788348dfa4a3ed31551fff00.png

image.thumb.png.944f4a025cd733a18a4fb715add269fa.png

image.thumb.png.f437884ae3599b862684040417b6a64f.png

image.thumb.png.e6fe9abe29f9df3247577ef12e12feff.png

image.thumb.png.09c6ac0f45b8b28ed1a9526ce0f79f64.png

image.thumb.png.35e90433ee932af8fce36b74df442f6a.png

image.thumb.png.1cb4e238303e08b63d6c3cba6c8d0e45.png

I think this is a brilliant idea, it preserves the area as a Railway heritage line and corridor , allowing hertiage events to still occur on the corridor, but it also opens up the line to open publc walking and riding space, creating a unique public asset that people will travel to use and walk. It will also link up to the rest of the attractions for North Sydney such as LPS , the North Sydney Pool and Bradfield park and also provides a great link to to Milson Point Railway station and Luna Park ferry terminal, meaning that its easy access will make it readily available for the casual visitor or the long term local alike.

For a more indepth look please view the website here:

https://www.sydneyharbourhighline.org.au/

• Like 5

On the topic of the kiddie coaster that was suggested, you dont necessarily have to buy a ride used. Its an SBF Visa model - a manufacturer LPS has worked with in the past and is at a price point LPS can definitely afford, however we have to take into consideration that the Park, as of 2017, was planning to invest $20 million into new attractions, some of which has assumedly already been spent on Volare, a new U-Drive and the refurbishment of the old Flying Saucer fixtures. I'm not sure if that figure has changed since then, but that's what I'm basing this off of.

What my point is, is that LPS only have X amount of money to spend. I don't think they will have much capital left over when they are finished replacing the older rides (bear in mind, there are 4 of these rides to replace) and upgrading some of the other buildings in the park (eg, Big Top needs to be repainted, and the building that houses Dodgem City will probably need an upgrade as well). While such a ride is not going to cost much, $20 million is not a lot of money in theme park terms. Up the coast Village and Ardent are spending more than that for single rides. I think that amount of money will only be able to buy those 4 rides, plus those aforementioned building repaints/upgrades

If the Government ever decides to develop the Lavender Bay storage tracks, it'll most likely be redeveloped into green space (as noted in the above proposal). I don't see any of it going to LPS because the resident uproar would be exorbitant, considering the recent opposition to the Lavender Green development as an 'expansion', imagine the outrage if LPS did actually get more land.

Edited by Baconjack

9 minutes ago, Baconjack said:

If the Government ever decides to develop the Lavender Bay storage tracks, it'll most likely be redeveloped into green space (as noted in the above proposal). I don't see any of it going to LPS because the resident uproar would be exorbitant, considering the recent opposition to the Lavender Green development as an 'expansion', imagine the outrage if LPS did actually get more land.

That would be up to the government of the day to decide as it is crown land. Its possible and if it coincided with the advent of the HighLine, then it would probably be a good compromise. I didnt say it would happen but you can bet your bottom dollar that LPS would be looking at that as a way of increasing their footprint. And seriously , given the land in question and what could be looked at, I definitely think that it would be a attractive compromise. Agree that there would be resident actions against it, but you cannot rule it out and LPS would be absolutely silly not to look at it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jobe said:

To add to that, there are plans afoot to turn this railway corridor into the Sydney Harbour Highline, after the line is deemed not needed/required. This is a great plan and will preserve one of the lines for heritage trains and events whilst also turning the other line into a combined walkway and cycleway for the full length of the corridor. Perhaps when this occurs LPS could negotiate to recieve part of the land that the sidings finish at, thereby enlargening Maloneys Corner and making it a more even square set of land for the park to utilise.

This is EXACTLY the kind of idea that I've had in mind. I just want the River Caves back and I can't anywhere else in the park they could fit. The Big Top has taken up a lot of space (not that I begrudge it's existence; it's been great for many major events and a good revenue raiser for the park and ensures that it remains viable for many generations to come. I'd just like a better balance between rides and venues).

• Like 4

On 18/05/2020 at 11:33 AM, Jobe said:

To add to that, there are plans afoot to turn this railway corridor into the Sydney Harbour Highline, after the line is deemed not needed/required. This is a great plan and will preserve one of the lines for heritage trains and events whilst also turning the other line into a combined walkway and cycleway for the full length of the corridor. Perhaps when this occurs LPS could negotiate to recieve part of the land that the sidings finish at, thereby enlargening Maloneys Corner and making it a more even square set of land for the park to utilise.. (See below pics with circled area)

image.thumb.png.8bfb5544788348dfa4a3ed31551fff00.png

image.thumb.png.944f4a025cd733a18a4fb715add269fa.png

image.thumb.png.f437884ae3599b862684040417b6a64f.png

image.thumb.png.e6fe9abe29f9df3247577ef12e12feff.png

image.thumb.png.09c6ac0f45b8b28ed1a9526ce0f79f64.png

image.thumb.png.35e90433ee932af8fce36b74df442f6a.png

image.thumb.png.1cb4e238303e08b63d6c3cba6c8d0e45.png

I think this is a brilliant idea, it preserves the area as a Railway heritage line and corridor , allowing hertiage events to still occur on the corridor, but it also opens up the line to open publc walking and riding space, creating a unique public asset that people will travel to use and walk. It will also link up to the rest of the attractions for North Sydney such as LPS , the North Sydney Pool and Bradfield park and also provides a great link to to Milson Point Railway station and Luna Park ferry terminal, meaning that its easy access will make it readily available for the casual visitor or the long term local alike.

For a more indepth look please view the website here:

https://www.sydneyharbourhighline.org.au/

I have never known this proposal till now, thank you! But I have just one problem with it. The station is just two concrete platforms. It needs something more with it. I am thinking as shown on the photo using recreating the old Milsons Point Station, or the old Tram Terminal/Arcade. And also maybe restoring the old escalators. The rest of the sidings can be taken over by Luna Park to add rides.