Sea World - Castaway Reef 2017

Tim Dasco

On 06/11/2017 at 10:45 PM, Thomas Day said:

I have recently been to Sea World, and there is no way that this could be finished by this year. 

QFT

12 hours ago, Jordan M. said:

Was open today

BAM

8 minutes ago, Flynn_Smith said:

How boring..

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but an attraction that will quite literally SOAK up a bunch of families, open up a space that hasn't been public in some time, and pad out the park into a full day once again is one of the most exciting things we've seen Sea World do in recent memory.

While it may not be your cup of tea, and while many here may not give two shits about it, it's something the park has needed since the old waterpark was closed.

Of course, we know they need more 'non-kiddie' attractions in the park to really make it a great park for all ages, but all things come in time, and this one was a quick win, relatively cheap in a year where the company dropped $30m on a coaster.

For the love of god why does the dino squirting poo not match the rest of the attractions . :D   Besides that, it's better than nothing.  I have a feeling this attraction is a knee jerk reaction to Vikings closing down  "Crap, everybody is complaining we shut down Viking's Revenge but we spent all our money on Rivals to do anything seriously about it".  It’s not up to the standard of anything else in the park.

• Like 4

Good to see some sort of use made of the area again at last, and for young kids up to say 7 or 8 years, quite good fun.

For those who have seen it before though, it's a very toned down version of what it was a few years ago (which I suppose matches the rest of Sea World overall really).

For those older than 8 years of age, a sad waste of space. 

I'd like to think Village has an impressive masterplan for the whole park, of which this is just a short term part.

Edited by pushbutton

The area officially opened on Saturday

I think its definitely a great addition for the park, and can really make a visit to the park last all day (if you have kids). Castaway Bay is a great area within the park, and is great to see they’ve expanded from that. I haven’t yet seen it, but would be interesting to see if the volcano has any effects, or is purely just there because why not. 

23 minutes ago, themagician said:

The area officially opened on Saturday

I think its definitely a great addition for the park, and can really make a visit to the park last all day (if you have kids). Castaway Bay is a great area within the park, and is great to see they’ve expanded from that. I haven’t yet seen it, but would be interesting to see if the volcano has any effects, or is purely just there because why not. 

Surely it will have a water eruption feature? Didn't we see pipes going right up the middle of the structure before it was covered up with the rockwork?

Update, here were the pics showing the pipes inside the volano:

2066DD41-5ECA-4CC5-B78C-EB33945830B5.thumb.jpeg.bb1b7be36104ad361a2ef3556f8ef636.jpeg

8C6AB0F3-4534-4D6C-A683-9C0E64738C11.thumb.jpeg.0926f143fb5fed1b78c1d989f5390d20.jpeg

Edited by GoGoBoy

Those pipes were always there, connected to the original slide tower. I tried to find an older, clear photo of it but the best example is actually Google Maps:

tower.thumb.jpg.db5ef76f45ead1a699114fa7c6b3994b.jpg

I believe they've been in place since Shark Bay was built... the logical conclusion is that they are infrastructure unrelated to the old slides (or the new area) that needed to remain.

Heres a nearmap image set spanning 2011-2017. This set shows the pipes in position over that time. In the bottom (larger) photo, which I included for those interested in looking at some of the pipework in the pool, you can see the shadow of those pipes cast over the shark bay buildings in the bottom of the picture.

waterpark.thumb.png.544fc44cc87c3a146fd719de84a7b038.png

I also managed to find the pipes visible in a 2004 Shark Bay image from Parkz. Shark Bay was opened in April 2004 -

0427-1_Reef-Lagoon_002.jpg

...and interestingly - this photo shows the tower during Shark Bay construction without the pipes - so it would seem that as some have suggested it is directly related to the shark bay construction!

0623-1_Shark-Bay-Const_003.jpg

...and here's another angle:

0623-1_Shark-Bay-Const_012.jpg

and another:

0623-1_Shark-Bay-Const_001.jpg

Edited by AlexB
forgot to add the nearmap montage
  • Like 1

Just because the pipes aren't part of the current construction, doesn't mean they couldn't do something with it - smoke, water spray... there's heaps of effects they could add to it that wouldn't cost much.

The ship has probably sailed, but perhaps in the rush to get it open they've deferred that until the after-xmas maintenance? you never know..

1 hour ago, T-bone said:

That’s fair enough but that’s not just aimed at you, it’s aimed at most people on here who have been supplying photos of it now open. With how sensitive people are these days you have to be careful.

But you did aim it at him and got it wrong, just saying.

On another note, that post seems to be quite popular on SW’s FB page. Who knew a giant splash area would be in such high demand among families?

Edited by GoGoBoy

4 minutes ago, GoGoBoy said:

But you did aim it at him and got it wrong, just saying.

Of course, if we'd just credited the photo as being park supplied, rather than without comment which suggests its our own, it all could have been avoided.

It really isn't hard to say 'this image just popped up on SW's facebook page' or 'stolen from TPSN' - even just 'pic:gogoboy' is enough to show that it isn't that person's picture.