Japan rollercoasters

Ash

I'll be heading to Japan for my second trip this October/November so I'll give a trip report afterwards. On our first trip we went to Disneyland/DisneySea and Universal Studios so I can easily recommend that but I guess it depends whether you're after a theme park experience or just want lots of roller coasters.

Where you basing yourself? Got back from a trip there earlier in the year. We did a few days out in Osaka to do Universal then one the way back to Tokyo did Nagashima Spaland. It's a little out of the way but has some really great coasters including the beast that is Steel Dragon 2000 a ride easily in my top three coasters. It also has some classic old school rides among it's 12 coaster credits including a Togo Twister as well as some cool flats such as a first generation Free Fall (If they happen to be open the day you're there operations can be a bit iffy).

I did Universal Japan, and it is an incredible park. Awesome amount of rides, attention to detail is amazing. Harry Potter area is unlike anything else. It is a must. But you will need to purchase Fast Pass, the more rides for it the better, as it is a very busy park the majority of the time (I went late March last year), and queues are quite lengthy.

• Like 1

All the replies above are very accurate and helpful already :) If you have time in Tokyo, I suggest trying Gekion Like Coaster at Tokyo Joypolis. It seemed (understandably) very overlooked by the big guns in an around Tokyo, but it looks like a truly bizarre and exciting Gerstlauer Spinning coaster... with an inversion! Yep, years before SDC announced Time Traveler ^^

https://rcdb.com/6453.htm

16 minutes ago, Ash said:

I think mainly tokyo. But we are wanting to do disneyland and universal

Universal is in Osaka, which, without a JRP is going to be expensive, especially if you're not doing any other travel outside of Tokyo.

Let's say you're staying in Tokyo for a tick, here's where i'd be at:

• Go to Fuji-Q Highlands, it has a Thomas the tank engine land for the little ones and Japan's most craziest rides, period. I've written about it here: http://ourworlds.co/2017/reviews/fuji-q-highlands-review/
  • Get a 3 day pass to the Tokyo Disney resort, you won't regret it. Remember to commit though, Japan crowds are smart, organised and efficient, so if you're not there at 9am like they are you'll miss out on all the good fastpasses. Stay nearby - places like the MyStays Maihama are a nice joint nearby without spending a lot of cash. Above all else, go to DisneySea, it's the best park on the planet and it'll blow your mind.
  • Kawasemi and Regina are two fantastic Intamin coasters in one of the worst parks in the world for the simple reason they treat their animals like shit, and for as much as I just love Kawasemi, I can't recommend Tobu Zoo to folks.
  • O'daiba is a cool place to visit in the afternoon/evening and it's where you'll find Joypolis and a sweet indoor inverting spinning coaster that has joysticks on it so you can shoot things. It's just awesome. Plus there's new VR stuff nearby and an onsen "theme park" nearby you should try. It's like what Darling Harbour in Sydney should've been.
  • Head to Tokyo Dome and ride Thunder Dolphin. It's nearby heaps of other stuff so you can lump it in with other sight-seeing duties.

At this point you've spent roughly 5 days doing coasters and theme parks. If you have more time, then your stretch goals should be:

• Go to Yimouriland, it's not filled with crazy amazing coasters but it's a fun day out.
  • Yokohama Cosmoworld is pretty cool too, plus the Kirin brewery is nearby and gives out free samples.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

If you can only spend one day at Disney then do DisneySea. I found Tokyo Disneyland was very lacklustre, was just missing the magic. DisneySea also has Fantasmic and they do a great job of it.
The Disney multi day tickets don't allow park hopping until Day 3 or Day 4, just be aware of that when visiting. We spend a Sunday afternoon, Monday and Tuesday there, and we found that crowds start thinning out at 4pm and beyond. Leave the park and head around to Ikspiari to grab lunch though, we found the food in park was really not value for money. Tower of Terror fast passes were always the first to go on the days we were there, followed by Pooh's Honey Hunt. 20,000 leagues was fine to line up in standby, but Journey to the Center of the Earth was definitely a fast pass ride.

If you head to Universal, then Harry Potter will be the biggest wait for the day, so head there first. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ads086 said:

If you can only spend one day at Disney then do DisneySea. I found Tokyo Disneyland was very lacklustre, was just missing the magic. DisneySea also has Fantasmic and they do a great job of it.
The Disney multi day tickets don't allow park hopping until Day 3 or Day 4, just be aware of that when visiting. We spend a Sunday afternoon, Monday and Tuesday there, and we found that crowds start thinning out at 4pm and beyond. Leave the park and head around to Ikspiari to grab lunch though, we found the food in park was really not value for money. Tower of Terror fast passes were always the first to go on the days we were there, followed by Pooh's Honey Hunt. 20,000 leagues was fine to line up in standby, but Journey to the Center of the Earth was definitely a fast pass ride.

If you head to Universal, then Harry Potter will be the biggest wait for the day, so head there first. 

All good advice there ^^^

Also, if you are heading south, do not avoid Nagashima Spa Land or Parque Espana. Nagashima Spa Land is just a 30 minute bus away from Shin-Nagoya Station and Parque Espana is easy enough to get to from Shin-Osaka via the Kintetsu Line and a courtesy bus. I'd highly suggest staying the night at the resort next store, too.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2017 at 10:58 AM, Slick said:

Kawasemi and Regina are two fantastic Intamin coasters in one of the worst parks in the world for the simple reason they treat their animals like shit, and for as much as I just love Kawasemi, I can't recommend Tobu Zoo to folks.

Sucks to hear that about Tobu Zoo, they were on my itinerary for this trip. Guess I might have to give it a miss.

VR Zone in Shinjuku might also be of interest:  https://vrzone-pic.com/en/  

Yet to go myself, hopefully soon though.

Agree with most things in this thread except about Joypolis.  I went a couple of years ago, I didn't like it-hour waits for everything and wasn't that good.  Didn't actually do the coaster in there though but no intention of going back.  There's better things to do in Odaiba IMO, including the future of science museum.  Haven't been to the Legoland Discovery Center there though.

On Tobu Zoo, easily the worst zoo I have been to in Japan.  Zoorasia is the nicest zoo in Japan that I have been to, but it is out of the way in Kanagawa.  Although I think Tobu Zoo is out of the way too with it being at least an hour from central Tokyo by train-I don't think it'd be on a list of things to do in the first 3 weeks of travelling in Tokyo really.