DC Rivals HyperCoaster - soft open discussion

joz

31 minutes ago, Flea said:

Yeah, curious to know why they wouldn't at least try to mount it correctly. By the looks of things they've sent it to a bunch of media outlets - wouldn't you invest a little to showcase your multi multi multi million dollar ride in the best possible light? We're smart enough to know it doesn't ride like dogshit, but to the average guest...

I offered them a fully insured rig with gopros + labour pro bono too. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Flea said:

Yeah, curious to know why they wouldn't at least try to mount it correctly. By the looks of things they've sent it to a bunch of media outlets - wouldn't you invest a little to showcase your multi multi multi million dollar ride in the best possible light? We're smart enough to know it doesn't ride like dogshit, but to the average guest...

It's called Movie World's current marketing department. Failing at life.

• Like 1

What I'd really love to see is a good high mounted POV from row 10.

We've had that genius who went through all the effort and risk of sneaking his phone on just to film in portrait, and whilst the quality was bad and the act of recording was irresponsible, it looked abosultely incredible seeing the whole rest of the train twisting in front of him.

So @Slick I guess if you do get the chance to stick a camera on the ride properly, that'd be an awesome point of view which I doubt we'll ever get a good POV of otherwise.

It is extremely disappointing seeing that POV, especially considering it was sent with the press release and used across national news media. Seems like MW are more happy to put out substandard product then work with someone with an opinion.

I feel it gives the impression that it is rough like Arkham.

Edited by Jordan M.

51 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

Why do I feel MW screwed the public on the opening of Rivals?

They screwed up on a lot of things. (when it comes to marketing this ride)

Luckily the actual ride experience they didn't screw up on and that's all I really care about.

Edited by Santa07
  • Like 2

Glad this thread is still open, although i'm sure it'll get locked shortly. I'm a little confused about which thread to post in as this covers backwards riding, soft open etc, and there are so many threads about Rivals now i'm just not sure. Hopefully a mod can move it if necessary.

So I managed to get down there yesterday, around 10:30ish, and it was closed while media and suits were riding \ filming \ testing. Waited about an hour for it to finally open up around 11:30. Managed to score the first backwards wristband of the day so I took my first ride on Rivals backwards. Over the next hour and a bit, I managed to get 8 cycles on it. Single rider queue had 2-3 people max at all times, and wait time once you reached the end of the SRQ queue was about 1 cycle. Backwards row was pretty much a walk on, while general queue had all switchbacks open and was out to the path split \ queue time display for much of the hour-and-a-bit i was there.

Managed to get all different spots on the train. Charles and Moss(?) managed to get me into Row 10 once, and I finished off the 8 with a second backwards trip.

Queue presentation is great (although I didn't pay much attention to it running back to the front), but I will say where the path splits, there's a small section of garden that juts out (on the right side as you enter) near the test seat. I'm sorry to say the plants in this little section have absolutely no hope of survival, and they probably should have just concreted that bit too.

The staff spieling prior to open were great, however once open, staff enthusiasm levels dropped. I didn't have my phone with me, but my concept of time between cycles (running two trains) seemed atrocious, with the second train stacking in the brake run for probably 4 minutes or more each time. There seems to be no urgency to the job, and no enthusiasm for the opening crew of the best attraction in the country. Might be a bit corny, but i'd love to see the crew get into it with the clapping \ energy you see overseas on coasters that have been open for years. With the amount of space they have on the station, i'd also like to see them group a second load at the 'back' of the station, similar to how they do it with Arkham at the moment. Paint a few spots on the ground for them to stand on and you can have two loads grouped at the same time.

The loose item boxes weren't rotating, and I could easily have walked out with half a dozen mobile phones without anyone noticing - as I understand it they'll start working properly soon (although I did notice that a lot of people were stuffing much larger items into the small item boxes (like a full handbag) which hung out over the side, and would have either prevented rotation or crushed the bag - something will need to be done about this as if the ops have to check those ones too, its going to slow cycle time even more)).

The back wall was nice. I read earlier someone whinging about the white roof, and yes it would have been nice if they'd done more with it, but I honestly don't think it needs it.

As for the ride? just WOW. I don't get the love for Row 10 that others do, but it was still a great ride no matter where you were. Backwards for me would have to be the best, so i'm probably going to go broke. Definitely worth the money. Favourite element? tough call, as each delivers in a different way. The helix and the bottom of the Stengel had some massive forces to it - and probably the closest i've ever gotten to a grey out (face went a bit droopy). The lateral whip on the NIL, the ejector on the final hills - when people spoke earlier this week about the stengel being a chance to catch your breath, they weren't wrong.

The ride is definitely something special. Probably the most thrilling attraction we've ever seen in Aus. It doesn't need VR (maybe in 15 years to revive it), and anyone who thinks Arkham is better should probably just shut up. And this isn't just about squashing an opinion different to my own, there is literally no way on earth anyone could argue that point - any whining that they're being bullied... is probably because they should be.

I've booked my 'early access' and will be heading down for the missus to have her first rivals experience soon. I can't really critique anything else just yet, its just a bit sad that the operations side was lacking.

• Like 4