DC Rivals HyperCoaster - soft open discussion

joz

Saw the one over the test seat on saturday, the others were being constructed in the maintenance driveway behind the wall. much nicer than a triangular shade sail held up on poles.

the 'artsy' design of them is cool, but (i haven't seen them all installed yet) i tend to think that the rounded nature is going to leave gaping holes where guests are going to be punished by the sun.

Not really much you can do unless you fully enclose, air condition and immersively theme the queue... #waitwhat

you could always have the track included in the enclosure from the brake run to the lift hill... #jussayin - you could also have then put in an extra block past the station, allowing pre-show (and faster operations \ cycles \ additional trains).

its just wishful thinking. I'm not upset at all that they didn't do this at all - my original comment in this vein was more tongue in cheek, but with the money, it would have been possible. (it would have been a complete waste, but it would have been possible).

to be fair, the construction thread is closed, but they're still constructing things that weren't ready before open.

once the shades are in, and the loose article boxes start rotating, then everything will be open... :P

i did notice last weekend that one of the loose item boxes had been removed... anyone know more?

• Like 2

I wasn't sure which thread to post this in, so forgive me if I'm out of place here. And I know it's been open a couple of weeks, and I'm late on this, but anyone who has ridden this beast will understand my overwhelming desire to vent on how damn good this coaster is.

I live 6 hours from the Gold Coast, but as soon as I had a break in work and other commitments, I left in the early hours of yesterday morning (taking advantage of daylight savings) to get to Movie World at opening. And the minute I took the Pacific Highway exit, I wondered what I had gotten myself into. This thing towers over the park, it's intimidating, and incredibly photogenic.

But if I thought I was wetting my pants driving past it, I had another thing coming when the train exited the station for the first time, and I was staring at the massive stairway to heaven that is the chain lift. In a mixture of nerves and excitement for my first hypercoaster, I couldn't sit still in my seat, much to the amusement of the young lady next to me.

The chain lift is so fast and steep, you barely have time to gather your thoughts and pull yourself together before that awesome Joker face is looming right over you. And boy, is it a long way to look down from the front rows. But immediately after the chain let go of the train, all fears and regrets were immediately washed away. That first drop is the single greatest element I have ever experienced on a roller coaster (no exaggeration, although I'm fairly inexperienced to be fair). The air-time is on a level that we have not so much as gotten close to in Australia. And it's not just the first drop. The air-time hill blasts you out of your seat, before that incredible non-inverted loop, which is so fast and chaotic that you barely have time to think about it. Your backside bounces like a ping-pong ball on and off the seat as you're ejected with such force and intensity, over and over.

I agree with people that the Stengel dive is pretty forceless, but by that time I was having the time of my life, so who cares? The turn-around is another amazing pop of speedy air-time, and you pick up an awesome amount of speed diving around the bend. The twists and turns that follow, as well as the helix, were so much more forceful and fast than I expected - not to mention those bunny hills, which really pull the whole thing together with a few more incredible blasts of ejector air-time before the brake run. By the end, I was so high on what had just occurred - it was like all my Christmases had come at once...

And then I rode it backwards.

MY GOD. The first drop backwards is perhaps the most intense thing I have ever done - and I've been skydiving. Being dragged over the rise suddenly, and ejecting into the harness, before plummeting straight down as you stare back up at that looming Joker face... Incredible. I was speechless at the end, which gave the ride operators a laugh. The entire coaster is made so much better by going backwards. The elements catch you by surprise, which seems to at least double their force. Not to mention being at the rear of the train, meaning you're pulled with such force and intensity through the air-time moments, especially the non-inverted loop. The seats are comfortable enough that, even though you get thrown around because you can't prepare yourself, it's still a smooth ride that isn't uncomfortable in the slightest. I ended up spending $30 on backwards seats throughout the day.

And the staff? The staff do an incredible job. They were running through cycles at express pace, even when the line was backed up almost to the test seat. And the interactions with the operating staff when sitting in the backwards seats were enough to bring a big grin to my face every time. They know they have a world-class attraction on their hands, and they seem to enjoy that fact.

Movie World, you've knocked it out of the park. Heck, we could build another park around the park and you'd knock it out of that one. DC Rivals is the greatest thing ever to happen to Australian theme parks, and if you haven't treated yourself to a ride yet, you're in for a treat. Get in line, do it forwards, and then have a blue note ready to do the only thing that could possibly be better than that - BACKWARDS.

I wish there was a sixth star so I could give this more than just five, because by God it deserves it.

• Like 4

Look one way to ruin your multi million dollar investment is to go and install some crappy shade sails every pub and day care center around town has...

So good on the park for doing something different and a bit out there to present the area well. 

• Like 4

I must say these shade sails are quite different to what I expected them to have. 

They do fit the modern look of the ride. Having not experienced a shade sail as see through as these, it will be interesting to see how it goes in the peak summer heat. 

Given how busy the ride would likely be, I'm a little surprised it doesn't cover the whole queue line. Hopefully this is a sign that we'll see 2 trains in operation most times and the queue will move pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

Because of the theming aspects, and the horseshoe track layout surrounding the queue, I am curious to see how the queue copes in summer - there is no airflow, no ventilation... the shades look great, but they do look quite see-through. I will say i've stood under the one at the test seat and it did seem to do alright in providing shade though.

I do hope they monitor the queue closely, and install fans \ water mist if appropriate.