Is DC Rivals HyperCoaster open today? How long is the queue? How many trains?

Richard

Who is this fake AlexB posting on Parkz?

I knew an AlexB once but I was told he was abducted by aliens and prodded and probed. 

Side question.  How often are people seeing the backward seats empty?  It’s probably a coincidence but whenever I’m passing by in the car, it’s empty.

Edited by Skeeta

1 hour ago, Skeeta said:

Side question.  How often are people seeing the backward seats empty?  It’s probably a coincidence but whenever I’m passing by in the car, it’s empty.

Ditto. Practically every time I drive by and see the ride going the Back seat is empty. Same when in Park. Backwards is occupied maybe 1-2 out of 5 runs tops.

How about if MW offered a deal to Passholders for free backwards rides with any in-Park purchase? For example, buy a Soft Drink refill, retain the receipt and validate it for your free backwards ride? A great way to generate some extra Passhole spending, especially when most People visit with others, so the group would have to buy more than one thing for everyone to get their free ride.

I always visit with my Partner and still haven't ridden backwards. It might not seem like a lot to many of you, by the time I drive to the Park I have already spent $30 on Fuel and will throw at least another $40 on food and drink for the day including afternoon Coffee and Cake at the Cafe in the Park. I can't justify another $20 at this stage sans spending that money on Groceries for dinner that night. Or 2 bottles of wine ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MickeyD said:

A new word coined for regular use? Haha love it!!! Welcome back @AlexB

Not new by any means - this has long been used to describe self-absorbed Disney ingrates.

Urban Dictionary dates this one back to at least 2012:

The term cast members of Disneyworld and Disneyland have coined for season pass holders; specifically pass holders that frequent the parks on a weekly basis and behave like they own the place.
"Did you see that?! That little girl was about to trade her pins with a cast member and that Passhole knocked her out of the way. I bet he ordered his pins on eBay and they aren't even stamped!"
by d33dee May 10, 2012

2 hours ago, Skeeta said:

Who is this fake AlexB posting on Parkz?

I knew an AlexB once but I was told he was abducted by aliens and prodded and probed. 

#DaOneAndOnly!

I can assure you, I have not been abducted by aliens (they were doctors), but I certainly have been prodded and anally probed. Doctors still don't know what's wrong though. I wouldn't have thought i'd be having these issues, but as someone said to me the other day - apparently i'm considered 'middle aged' now ;), so I should probably expect to start falling apart at any minute!

2 hours ago, MickeyD said:

I always visit with my Partner and still haven't ridden backwards. It might not seem like a lot to many of you, by the time I drive to the Park I have already spent $30 on Fuel and will throw at least another $40 on food and drink for the day including afternoon Coffee and Cake at the Cafe in the Park. I can't justify another $20 at this stage sans spending that money on Groceries for dinner that night. Or 2 bottles of wine ;)

I approve of your life priorities/choices.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

I can assure you, I have not been abducted by aliens (they were doctors), but I certainly have been prodded and anally probed. Doctors still don't know what's wrong though. I wouldn't have thought i'd be having these issues, but as someone said to me the other day - apparently i'm considered 'middle aged' now ;), so I should probably expect to start falling apart at any minute!

How tragic, we were all so young when we first started chatting on these forums. I was just a little twink. Now many of us are getting a little long in the tooth. Without wanting to derail the topic with too many off-subject posts, how old are you AlexB, if I can ask a lady that question?

Edited by GoGoBoy

14 hours ago, strop said:

How is 65 middle aged? That would make your life expectancy 130!! #toooldforcoasters

well to be fair - 45 is also middle aged. so is 55. You have to draw the line somewhere - what comes after middle age? twilight? retirement? (not in this country).

You could say 45 was the middle, but since 18 or 21 was when you became an adult, that's a "+25" from when you hit that age group before you progress to the next one..? (and it was 18-21 years of being a "kid" - even if that's divided into subgroups of teen, toddler, etc) If we stick on 45 - that'd make a life expectancy of 90, which isn't that far from current statistics... so why not?

I think although there are exceptions, it's typical that you're probably raising your own kids until you approach 50... depending on when you had them. Then they fly the coop and start meeting, dating, partying for about 10 years (that's their 20s) - then they start having kids as they approach and pass 30, which on averages would be as you approach 60, so you start looking at being a grandparent around that time - so i guess depending on where the line is drawn, 65 isn't a bad line to say - that's when you start moving into that area of your life...

Edited by AlexB

Car Park 2/3rds full, a surprise considering school is back. Two trains on Rivals today. While lunch settles I’m watching Rivals cycle. 8 in a row with rear facing seats occupied by at least 1 rider.

The two trims are causing a slight groaning noise on both trains, something I didn’t notice last visit in November.

Edit - 13 cycles in a row. FYI @Skeeta / @MickeyD

Edited by Glubbo

20 minutes ago, Glubbo said:

Car Park 2/3rds full, a surprise considering school is back.

Forgive me Glubbo if i sound a bit rude in saying this...  but it seems like we do this every school holidays, and always seems that many in QLD forget that the other states don't necessarily follow QLD school dates - and during this season, they are likely to be heavy contributors to the crowds at the parks (if any).

Public school return dates:

SA and NT go back January 29th.

NSW & VIC go back January 30th.

WA goes back January 31st.

ACT goes back February 5th.

TAS goes back February 7th.

The biggest contributor (in my opinion only) to the holiday park crowds would be NSW and VIC - who are both in their final week.

In addition to all that, Private Schools do their own thing, and frequently take longer breaks as well (http://privateschoolsguide.com/school-holiday-dates).

9 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

That suggest to me the train is approaching the trim brakes at a higher speed now.

Which is only natural as everything wears in - completely to be expected (and probably why the trims were added even though we couldn't feel much of an effect from them in the past two months...)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made it up from Sydney this week with lofty expectations and they were most certainly fulfilled! Queue never reached more than about 20 minutes which gave just enough time to recover before riding again. Here are my thoughts...

For such a lengthy coaster (by local standards) it manages to pack a real punch right up to the brake run. I have ridden in most parts of the train by now and I would have to say that row 10 is my favourite (best for the first drop). The fall feels a lot longer because of the “pull” from the front of the train.

I think Backwards was worth the $10, but it made me feel a little unwell. Lift hill is bloody steep so you end up hanging off the back on the way up. Speaking of the lift hill, it was also very, very quick which is ideal for ride throughput but gives you no time to savour the view. Front seat had a great view until the wind made my eyes water too much. It also just didn’t quite have the same kick as row 10 (in my opinion).

Restraints were very nice with no bulky over-the-shoulder contraption. Interestingly, we did see a few larger blokes fail to fit into the seats properly and they had to hop off before the train could depart.

Ride ops ran very smoothly with just one train going, with the only delays resulting from the previously mentioned oversized riders. The rotating baskets worked a charm (after realising that my stuff was on the other side and it hadn’t been stolen) and helped move us all away from the train so they could start loading the next set of people on.

Backwards seats had varying use throughout the day. Sometimes there would be nobody for 5 runs and then the next 5 would all have backwards riders. It seemed that mostly larger groups were all doing it together so this kind of made sense.

Overall I was highly impressed by DC Rivals, and I even bought a stubby holder and the $10 hat (which is actually great value). Movie world is now well and truly getting there as a great park in terms of rides, maybe one more coaster and a few more flats (Huss Giant Frisbee??)

Edited by scadam
  • Like 1

I think we have enough Pendulem rides now in Australia. Goliath, Claw, SX360 and Voodoo. (3 being built in the last 2 years) then if you include traveling ones, the Beast, XXXL, Nitro, Freak Out, Hard Rock, Extreme Thriller, Rebel and I am sure there are a few more. However they are still great rides! 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 1:21 AM, MickeyD said:

It might not seem like a lot to many of you, by the time I drive to the Park I have already spent $30 on Fuel and will throw at least another $40 on food and drink for the day including afternoon Coffee and Cake at the Cafe in the Park.

Try $2000+ for flights!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Noxegon said:

Try $2000+ for flights!

No sympathy for a guy who has visited 70 countries, and in particular, has been to enough airports that it's worth his while to count them... obviously your financial circumstances are a little different to others... ;)

I've been to 3 countries, and if i'm lucky i'll have done 6-8 before i die.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AlexB said:

No sympathy for a guy who has visited 70 countries, and in particular, has been to enough airports that it's worth his while to count them... obviously your financial circumstances are a little different to others... ;)

Ha, wasn't looking for sympathy, was merely trying to inject a little humour :)

On 09/02/2018 at 7:36 AM, AlexB said:

I've been to 3 countries, and if i'm lucky i'll have done 6-8 before i die.

Cut back on non essentials like movies, cigarettes, consumer electronics...and before you travel just have a 'tightarse month' where you spend every weekend at home.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m at the park today and they have just closed DC Rivals due to technical difficulties. At first they let us wait in the queueing area but have just asked us all to leave and check back later. 

Not really sure what the issue was but the train was completely stopping at the final set of brakes and sitting there for a short time instead of continuously moving back to the station.