DC Rivals HyperCoaster - passholder and member previews

Santa07

Finally got my first rides in this morning. Would have been an awesome time to marathon it given there wouldn't have been more than 40-50 people re-riding. 

Unfortunately I only had a small window to stay due to work, but between 8:35 and 9am I got 3 rides, knocking off Front Row, Row 10 & Backwards. Only wait was for backwards with most trains despatching with 8-10 vacant seats. 

Front Row for the first ride of the day and my first experience on this ride was amazing. As someone who hasn't done the overseas trips most of you have, it was hands down the best coaster experience I've ever had. Smoothness, speed, freedom in restraints, it was epic!

Row 10 was super fun, with snaps of extra speed and acceleration. A bit less smooth than the front but worth it for that force on the first drop. 

Backwards was a crazy experience. The highlight is probably the lift hill and the hanging feeling you get. Like row 10 not as smooth as the front of the train. I did find it a little nauseating, which isn't something I've experienced before on coasters. I definitely wouldn't have been able to do back to backs in the backwards seats. Glad I experienced it but probably wouldn't rush back into it given the upcharge and that fact I preferred the front. Will definitely jump in the back again at FN's though to get the night experience. 

Amazing 10/10 for mine  

Edited by Brad2912
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

As someone who hasn't done the overseas trips most of you have, it was hands down the best coaster experience I've ever had.

Even for people who've been overseas, surely this'd easily be a top 10 for lots of enthusiasts.

It's gotten all the Americans on the internet jealous for once, a very welcome change of events.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brad2912 said:

Finally got my first rides in this morning. Would have been an awesome time to marathon it given there wouldn't have been more than 40-50 people re-riding. 

Unfortunately I only had a small window to stay due to work, but between 8:35 and 9am I got 3 rides, knocking off Front Row, Row 10 & Backwards. Only wait was for backwards with most trains despatching with 8-10 vacant seats. 

Front Row for the first ride of the day and my first experience on this ride was amazing. As someone who hasn't done the overseas trips most of you have, it was hands down the best coaster experience I've ever had. Smoothness, speed, freedom in restraints, it was epic!

Row 10 was super fun, with snaps of extra speed and acceleration. A bit less smooth than the front but worth it for that force on the first drop. 

Backwards was a crazy experience. The highlight is probably the lift hill and the hanging feeling you get. Like row 10 not as smooth as the front of the train. I did find it a little nauseating, which isn't something I've experienced before on coasters. I definitely wouldn't have been able to do back to backs in the backwards seats. Glad I experienced it but probably wouldn't rush back into it given the upcharge and that fact I preferred the front. Will definitely jump in the back again at FN's though to get the night experience. 

Amazing 10/10 for mine  

I was there this morning iswell and it was dead, I went on it 8times from 8:40-9:30

15 hours ago, Santa07 said:

Theming

Definitely not the best-themed ride in the park. Better than Green Lantern but overall it is not much more than a bunch of 2.5d murals (that said, they are huge and quite impressive).

Its a hypercoaster. Its not a dark ride like scooby, or a flume like wild west. I don't think anyone was expecting some sort of immersive theme with this monster, and it isn't necessary. You have to judge apples with apples. Of course it isn't the best themed ride in the park, but if you compare it to other full circuit coasters, you start looking at Arkham, HWSW, and suddenly the theming looks pretty damn good.

Trains

The harnesses are a little weird when they open (they sorta briefly pop upwards a few times, then fully open).

I thought this was actually a really good idea. Not sure if its a convenient side effect or if it is by design, but the 'stutter' opening of the harnesses tends to shake the seatbelt loose of its mount - much better than a manually operated seatbelt that requires riders to open them manually - you end up with rider issues like on Doomsday where the rider can't get the seatbelt open.

Front few rows are great too - you don’t really get much air, but hanging over the drop for the few seconds it takes for the rest of the train to go over is quite terrifying with the very open harnesses.

A great few seconds of constant airtime. Particularly good in the front or the back

The back initially twists you round a bit slower, but the airtime when you get pulled back down is phenomenal.

There’s actually a surprising amount of airtime you get going over the top of the dive loop in the front few rows. There’s none in the back of the train, but its still very forceful.

The drop in the backwards seat is insane. You’re literally floating the whole way down, your entire body leaves the seat.

Row 10 - much more forceful, but perhaps not as much airtime as the front.

Row 1 - so open and free. The airtime is great here (so many surprise pops of air you don’t get in the back).

I know that these statements out of context can appear a little confusing, as you've said these points during different elements of the track, so there is obviously different forces at play here, but im confused. I've always considered airtime opportunities to be much higher (and much better) in the rear, but you seem to be favouring the front for the best airtime here... i'm no expert so i'm keen to hear from those with more knowledge on this.

There is a rattle.

No idea what you're talking about. One of the smoothest coasters i've been on and never picked up anything like what you're referring to.

Staff

The sorter was using an Arkham-method of sending people to the gates

Shout out goes to the very enthusiastic guy selling the backwards passes out the front, he remembered me from the early-access and said hey every time I walked past.

Perhaps they read my suggestion from the other day?

Enthusiastic guy selling the wristbands - that sounds like Charles. Man that guy's an energiser bunny. He deserves some kudos - because even during 'technical rehearsal' phase, he was constantly interacting with guests waiting in line, high fives, and just general all round cheeriness. Movie World needs more staff like this.

Trims

They’re not really a negative, but they’re there. Not really that noticeable, but if you know where they are you will feel them.

If you have to know where they are to feel them, then they aren't noticeable. Can honestly say I haven't felt the trims engage at all.

My Top 5 rows

5. Row 2 - basically the forces of the front seat, without the freedom and openness of the front seat

The reason why I prefer this row is because since I am quite tall, my feet touch the floor in the back row of each car.

Interesting that your top row (or is it the 5th top row?) is Row 2 - which is the back row of the front car, considering what you said about row 9.

That 0.5 that is lost is because of the rattle.

All that amazingness, and the rattle is the sole reason it's not a perfect 10?

Don't get me wrong - to be honest i don't think I can think of any ride i'd give a perfect 10 to, but for all the pluses (and minuses) that exist for this ride - a rattle wouldn't be something i'd dock for (although, I can't say i've noticed it, and considering the noise you get on Arkham through the twists, I don't think if i did hear it on rivals that it would bother me) - i'd be more likely to dock points for the shitty operations (which sounds like they've already tried to improve) than any 'rattle'.

All round though I think its a pretty fair review - sure theres a few things i've taken issue with - as said above - but that is just an opinion, as is your review, and i'm sure not everyone will feel exactly the same about this ride. Thanks for sharing your thoughts... my wife will get her first chance to ride it tomorrow so it's given me a little more to go on.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I know that these statements out of context can appear a little confusing, as you've said these points during different elements of the track, so there is obviously different forces at play here, but im confused. I've always considered airtime opportunities to be much higher (and much better) in the rear, but you seem to be favouring the front for the best airtime here... i'm no expert so i'm keen to hear from those with more knowledge on this.

No idea what you're talking about. One of the smoothest coasters i've been on and never picked up anything like what you're referring to.

Riding yesterday morning I also found the airtime at the front to be better than at the back, which for the same reasons as you, I don't quite understand. I also found row 10 to be more rough yesterday than it was when I rode it (same row) the first sunday. I'm not sure if that was just since I had ridden front row immediately before, but it did seem rough. Still one of the smoothest coasters I've ridden.

It's not a noise rattle @AlexB, it's a very noticeable physical vibration towards the back of the train. It isn't really uncomfortable though it does distract, if not detract from the overall experience. 

Because it varies from carriage to carriage, it's hopefully just a wheel alignment issue that can be addressed in future maintenance. 

• Like 2

its a shame it will have to wait until the next maintenance period if that is the case, i'd have thought things like this would have been addressed prior to opening.

Most attractions we see come online just before school holiday periods, and then usually go back down for maintenance immediately after those holidays (sort of like a run-in period) - DCR isn't likely to get that though, given it's proposed up-time for Fright nights. We might see it in November, depending on the maintenance schedule for the rest of the park, but if it is an alignment issue, I do hope that they can fix it before Xmas.

after thought: if it is an alignment issue, is it present only on one train, or both?

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Interesting that your top row (or is it the 5th top row?) is Row 2 - which is the back row of the front car, considering what you said about row 9.

5th top :P it was meant to be 5 4 3 2 1, row 11 is definitely the best row on the train.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

I found that the back overall had stronger airtime (particularly over the drop and NI loop), but the front had more airtime moments (eg it's the only seat you really get airtime going over the dive loop).

Yep, I experienced the rattle too on the last 2 rows, but worse in the backwards row IMO (perhaps the way I ride in the seat?). I didn't really feel it day one, but whether or not I was too preoccupied with excitement.

@Richard has mentioned a possible wheel alignment issue, which I hope it is. Everyone says how smooth Mack coasters are, and I assume the forward rows are smoother (I have only ridden in the front once, and never in the middle of the train).

It's a beautiful coaster, but I definitely feel the vibration is noticeable and uncomfortable (not overly however).

3 hours ago, ash.1111 said:

Everyone says how smooth Mack coasters are, and I assume the forward rows are smoother (I have only ridden in the front once, and never in the middle of the train).

I've also heard great things about the smoothness of most Macks, although we did see how Lost Rattly turned out, and I really hope that was just a one-off.

I've also noticed that one train has noisier anti-rollbacks. Haven't been able to work out yet if it's the rattly one or not.