DC Rivals HyperCoaster - Fast Track available

Santa07

Seriously? you guys are fuckin sheltered.

Most overseas parks would charge within this ballpark. This is the best rollercoaster Australia has ever seen. The queues for this ride are going to be significant for some time, especially during peak periods. Summer is going to be just plain stupid, and fright nights is also likely to be ridiculously long.

Sure, it's more expensive than Backwards seating, but backwards seating has specific return times, and is limited to two seats, so if they sell a crap load of them, you're going to be waiting a while (one only has to look at the length of the queue for it to know it could take a while if it is only 2 seats per cycle).

Fast track has the option of 20 seats - 10 times as many as backwards - so if you want to Ride. It. Now. or if you aren't a fan of going backwards, then this is the option for you.

Personally I don't like the direction Village is going - where a park that used to be 'all rides, shows and attractions are included in your admission' to a situation where 'our ultimate tour isn't actually the ultimate, and you'll have to pay extra' upcharge on an upcharge.

I like that they're offering a VIP experience - but I find it disgusting that they'd then come out with an additional purchase on top of something they've already referred to as being the best on offer. If they were planning the 'hyped' tour, they should have advertised this in the first place.

But I digress - and back to rivals. To an extent I expected them to monetise as much as possible surrounding Rivals. I'm honestly very surprised we don't have fast video yet, but I'm sure they'll do it if they can (and i'll remember that it wasn't online at launch for doomsday either), but for a ride that has cost around 3 times as much as any other new attraction in over a decade - if upcharging for special perks helps them clear the debt and start planning their next major attraction (and they keep installing Quality attractions (if not the most expensive ones)), then i'm all for it, and i'll pay for the experience as time and money permits.

@AlexB They don't usually let fast-track riders get the front seats (on JetRescue or Superman Escape) so it would only be 18 seat options, but they may give front seats for this ride given the price.

I don't really have a problem with Theme Parks charging a bit more for things like VR or Fast-Track either.  Fast-Track is usually used by people who only have a day-pass to the park and want to experience everything and usually have a negligible impact on actual wait times for people. In an hour-long queue, it might push you back 1 ride cycle.

But just to break down some of the numbers for people complaining, if you assume the ride will be closed for around 1 month/year for maintenance (with 5 other cumulative 'day' closures due to storms etc.)...

• $10 Backward seating * 2 seats per train * 20 cycles per hour * 8 hours of operation * 330 days = $1,056,000 per year.
  • $15 Fast Track * 20 sales per day * 330 days = $99,000 per year

Sure, they won't hit those numbers everyday (although some days they will sell a lot more fast track), but generally speaking the combination of those two things will bring in about $1 Million per year in additional revenue - more than enough to cover maintenance and staffing costs for the ride.

Given that most of us have only paid about $100 a year (on average) for our annual passes, I think that these amounts are a fair price to pay for having a ride like this built in Australia.

I think the wasteful printing of entry photos at SeaWorld, and charging up to $25 for a photo with a character are more worthy of complaint.

42 minutes ago, wikiverse said:

I think the wasteful printing of entry photos at SeaWorld,

Aren't those photos done by an external company on contract?

Having worked a photo lab in a theme park, this is part of the reason why photos were such a high cost - is because all of the pre-printing, and potential waste. Since we have now moved into the digital age, it seems a bit strange that we haven't seen photo cost drop at all - since there could be less waste given a thermal printer can spit out an 8x12 in under a minute.

The real reason for the pre-printing though is that a tangible, 'able-to-be-held-in-the-hand' product is far more easily sold than an image on a screen, (although it does then open the door for tightarses who want to argue 'you're only going to throw it away anyway, why can't I just have it for free?')

I'm glad they did this. IMO it should have gone further and the upchage should only be possible with already having purchased unlimited fast track. This is exactly what SFMM do with X2. 

For the sake of both fast track riders and normal que, you want as little people as possible purchasing the option. 

I don't think that's a fair statement at all.

In my experience the park limited Fast Track sales on Rivals to an acceptable number (it was sold out at one point when I went to ride) and the wait time was very small. They were also doing a great job of merging the Standby and Fast Track ques at a fair level.

This ride doesn't require lockers so there is no money gouging in that regard either. I think the whole thing has been managed extremely well and the price point is generous even , is completely fair.

• Like 2

On 02/10/2017 at 4:49 PM, djrappa said:

I don't think that's a fair statement at all.

In my experience the park limited Fast Track sales on Rivals to an acceptable number (it was sold out at one point when I went to ride) and the wait time was very small. They were also doing a great job of merging the Standby and Fast Track ques at a fair level.

This ride doesn't require lockers so there is no money gouging in that regard either. I think the whole thing has been managed extremely well and the price point is generous even , is completely fair.

Rivals is, I think, an exception to the rule, and perhaps (hopefully) a changing of the guard with regards to the view on what they charge for. I understand that there were several new designs implemented at Rivals we haven't seen in our parks previously, and i'm thankful to the person who brought them to our shores.

Rivals is, as we know, well designed and managed without the need for random upcharges (I exclude fast track as it applies to many rides, although other parks can offer this for free to everyone, and I exclude backwards as it is a capacity limited option that has to be charged, and while technically reducing regular guest capacity by 4 per train, isn't something to complain about as a charge).  When referring only and specifically to Rivals, you are correct - not a fair statement. When you consider the park (or better yet, VRTP as a whole) they've done their very best to monetise every experience possible.

The ongoing gouging at Superman remains. They attempted it with Green Lantern but later backed off. We've talked ad nauseum about overseas parks offering free lockers so I won't re-raise the debate. Even the Sea World "Gate-Gate" was a clear attempt to funnel crowds through a choked part of the park, simply because it lead everyone past shops, food, drink and skill games.

Even UTT and Hyped just struck a chord for me - here, buy the ULTIMATE tour... wait - now that you've bought it, buy the EVEN MORE THAN ULTIMATE upgrade! (especially as it seemed it was an afterthought).

I'm not against pay for play experiences, as long as these are in the minority and additional (and value for the person buying it), and not of too much negative impact to the guest that just paid $100 to get in, expecting (most) things to be included in their ticket price, but these days it seems that after getting in the gate, the first few things that hit you are 'now that you're in, pay extra to do more', as opposed to 'this way to our awesome rides that speak for themselves, and are the main reason you're here'.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mission said:

Are you referring to the $2 to keep your belongings safe (such as phone, car keys, a wallet with bank cards, licences, cash etc which cost $ and time to replace) while on a ride?

Themeparks around the world that actually care about their customer service/experience offer lockers/storage boxes for FREE on all rides that restrict loose articles. That's the way it should be. Free lockers highly encourage your guests to abide by loose article policies/rules; ensuring that the majority of people use them. It also creates a positive message about how the park views rider safety.

Edited by Luke

6 hours ago, Luke said:

also creates a positive message about how the park views rider safety.

IMO so does forcing people not to bring shit onto a ride. 

It's $2. Less than half a coffee at most places. Money most people rarely bat an eyelid to.

Sure they could probably come up with some station drop off thing if they really wanted but that's just going to slow operations again. 

The free locker idea whilst nice would most likely get abused by people somehow because people are dicks. 

At the two Universal parks I’ve been to, they offer lockers and the entrance to most rides, for free for a certain period of time. And this time depended on queue length times. So a 40 minute queue would give you 50 minutes free locker time, and after that you paid. Was a great system.

• Like 2

All rides that they don't allow you to take bags on at Universal Orlando have free lockers outside. Every locker fit my very full backpack with no problems. The two main rollercoasters, Rip Ride Rockit and the Hulk both went as far as to have metal detectors and security to make sure you didn't bring any loose articles on the ride. 

• Like 1

When I go by myself, I take my credit card, pass and car key in. Either hide them in my shoe or use a pair of shorts with an inside pocket. 

I enjoy not having a phone, wallet etc for a few hours. Being inside the park is an escape from the outside world. 

If friends & family are with me, then we might take a big locker, but with a 6yr old and a baby, we are normally parent swapping. 

• Like 1

When I was there the other day (2/10/17) they were only operating 1 train. Queues were very long for everything except Fast Pass. When we went to buy one from Charles he informed us that Fast Pass is not sold when they are only operating 1 train. It makes sense but at the same time was quite frustrating.

This has just been passed on to me, so I'm trusting it's correct, if not, I apologise. Anyway......

Plan on riding fast track soon? 

Better byo lube or they're going in dry on this one. 

Fast track for Rivals has been bumped up to $19.

Let that sink in. 

NINETEEN DOLLARS

For once, theme park food is looking cheap in comparison. 

Now I make a comfortable living. I get by. I don't get by paying $20 to ride a roller coaster once. Yes it's an upcharge, but $20 for a single ride??!! 

Better off just waiting for the backwards seats and save yourself the money. 

Is it a fair price? IMO not even close. Would I recommend anyone pay it? Hell no. 

Will some people disagree with me? Sure and more power to them if they can afford to be gouged every time they visit the park. 

Edited by Reanimated35