Wild Mouse

rappa

Howdy All Just wanted to quickly let you all know that I was at the park on thursday night to see De La Guarda (which is FANTASTIC) and Wild Mouse was testing. So I would think it shouldn't be too long now before this great old little coaster is open. On a side note it would appear they have done a little bit of work to it, there have been some metal platforms and stuff added around the track in places...

Yes I have heard that De La Guarda is great. I personally can't imagine it but it has received rave reviews which in turn is a good thing for Luna Park (hopefully it will help it to attract more productions of this quality). Rappa - what did you think of the Big Top venue? I've only seen the entry areas and not the theatre itself. I love the main downstairs foyer - it looks great. The actual bar itself has a great colour scheme and design - very modern but keeping in with the circus/amusement theme. Glad to hear the mouse is almost ready. I always loved that coaster. It's just plain fun, especially with its total harbourside location. You can't beat it. I've also noticed that the cafe building at the front of the park is almost finished and is looking very interesting and colourful on the park side. The park is also fixing up other bits and pieces which were rushed for opening (like the Rotor facade and Coney Island marquee) which is a good sign

First off, yes De La Guarda just has to be seen. The show itself is quite indescribable but I can tell you at 70 bucks I still intend to go see it again. Its high energy, fun, entertaining and very strange all at the same time. The big top itself is hard to get a good feel of due to the nature of De La Guarda but its basically what we refer to in the industry as a big 'Hocker.' Basically like the type of structure you usually see erected for large functions and parties (big white tent) or on a larger scale what we just had at circular quay for fashion week. Its basically a large sqaure venue with four bare walls and a bare roof, all black in colour from what I saw although that may just be the drapes in use on the current show. One interesting thing is it has not supports whatsoever apart from the walls. It looks like a kind of neat venue, it sounds great and I will be interested to see a more 'traditional' show in there. This being said however, it is nothing like a 'big top,' in the traditional sense. I sort of felt the foyer was somewhat basic and could have been a bit more on the 'swanky' side... but it is what it is. The cafe out the front should be great, at the moment it looks like it will be themed to a giant licorice all sort, it will without doubt have one of the best views in Sydney. As for the overall park I was very dissapointed, mainly what I'm talking about is if you go and have a look at the back of some of the signs (the face incuded) in the park you will see most of them are unpainted, have parts missing, or just generaly look like sh!t. Very poor indeed, in my opinion they shouldn't have opened the park in its current state, very unimpresive... We'll see, maybe it will get there, however I feel they shouldn't have added those crappy rides out the back of Coney Island, get rid of them the Ranger included. They just bring the whole standard of the whole park down...

The advantage of the back area you referred to is that it increases the park capacity which is needed for more rides. I agree that the current line-up of rides there are pretty bad and the layout is no good. I think if they re-work the area with better attractions it could definitely add value. In keeping with the history of the park, I'd like to see them build a large River Caves attraction in that area. As it would be an enclosed dark ride, all noise would be contained which would mean no more complaining neighbours

Yes I 100% Agree! I've wanted to see the river caves back on the line up ever since it was proposed when the last incarnation of the park opened. I have no problem with a rides area out the back however the way they have done it now (cheap and nasty) isn't acceptable. Me personaly, I'd like to see all the carnival rides removed and the park returned to more of a 'historical' attraction. Leave rides like the dodgems, wild mouse, rotor, coney island, ferris wheel and build a river caves dark ride. That would give the park a much better standard and atmosphere...not to mention given the bloody residents NOTHING to be able to complain about :-)

Interesting point Djrappa and one i agree with wholeheartedly!!! :) The return of the River Cavesto Luna Park is long overdue and would do much to revitalise interest and belief in the park that the current ride lineup does not. I also agree with GoBoi that the ridelayout is absolutely atrocious. The available space to my mind is wasted and could be utilised in a much more user friendly manner. I dislike the marquee at the back of Coney Island intensely....it looks very cheap and nasty indeed!! If we all agree that the current carnival rides at Luna Park are old hat or unsuitable ,what do you guys think they should be replaced with?? Especially given the current environment of pain in the arse, whingeing residents? Is there anything that can deliver decent thrills in the small compact space that Luna Park has available. Personally I would like to see a Reverchon Spinning Wild Mouse coaster installed. It would be a good foil to the "old " Wild Mouse and surely wouldnt be too noisy. Place it where the Tumblebug is currently, rename it the Wildcat(another old Luna Park ride name) and relocate the Tumblebug elsewhere?? Any other ideas guys?? As an aside with the new cafe set to open soon, do you guys think it feasible to operate any rides on the roof of this building, such as the Tumblebug?? They have to make use of any space available and this would be a great spot for a ride of some sort?? Comments? Cheers Jobe

I agree with Rappa's idea of making Luna more of a historical park. I would like to see some of the current clone carnival rides replaced with unique one of a kind rides, similar to when the park first opened in 1935. The excitement wouldn't be in the rides technological factor but more of a sense of history and old fashioned fun which you can't find anywhere else. Family rides like U-Drive, Flying Saucer, Hey Day, Whip, the original Tumble Bug etc. I liked the fact that in Luna Park's earlier days many of the attractions had great facades and artwork which gave the park more of a fantasy atmosphere. I also have some more ideas for the installation of the River Caves, which as I said, I'd like to see installed at the back area of the park behind Coney Island. In keeping with the parks new focus on functions and entertainment, I think the River Caves could work well if combined with some kind of restaurant (with River Caves themed function rooms ofcourse). The restaurant could be right on the harbourside but with the added attraction of part of the River Caves water channel meandering past or through the dining area. Dining patrons could be entertained by both the harbour view and the passing boats filled with Luna Park guests, floating along the man made channel. The boats would then continue through the remainder of the dark ride portion of the ride. I think I got this idea from one of the Disney parks in the US which have a similar type of attraction. Any thoughts?

Sounds great GoBoi. As soon as you said that I imediately thought to Pirates at Disneyland and I'm sure that's what you're talking about. I think that could work really well. You could start the theming from the steps under Coney Island as that is a pretty bland walk through at the moment.

G'day Daniel. I have always been here mate,just reading and enjoying the forums. I add my own 2 cents worth when I feel its approriate or I have something to add or say. I like your thoughts on what rides should be in LPS Goboi. One off unique rides ARE the way to go and would instill a sense of atmosphere that the new park is lacking. However i feel that surely we could move forward and install some new,unique rides with decent thrills. I do like the historic angle being properly used(but only for rides that have real historic value ,as you have noted) LPS major vibe is one of history...one that only LPM can match in Australia Your idea on a River Caves ride is a good one. Disneyland Paris' Pirates of the Carribean ride is a good example of what you are proposing...along the course of this ride it slowly meanders past a patron filled cafe.Excellent ridewith great theming(but it is Disney of course!!) I still think that there should be a good balance to the function side of Luna Park to the amusment side of Luna Park. It doesnt need huge rollercoasters to warrant repeat visits but rather around 8 unique flat type rides to flesh out the rest of the park. The current roster of rides and placement doesnt fit this criteria at all and I hope they do redress this quickly. Are there any new or modern rides that you guys would feel would be suited to LPS?? Cheers Jobe