State Theme Park Incentives

Theme Park

Different state governments, over the years, have added incentives to companies to develop a park in their state. It might not necessarily be cash. It could be infrastructure or land assistance.

Right now, most economies are pretty stuffed. Unfortunately, it's probably not something most people would want.

As much as I love my theme parks, the state government won’t even stump up the money to fix bottlenecks on the M1... the northern GC is desperate for schools. There is much better things I’d love to see the government put money into other than theme parks. 

Planning fee exemptions and fast tracks to approvals I am all for 

• Like 1

Brad I am not saying give these companies a blank cheque and millions of dollars as the two ideas I had for financial incentives could be leasing (not selling) public land really really cheap for these companies to build on or maybe giving exemptions on certain taxes (not all taxes just some) in hope of attracting these big international names such as legoland and universal studios.

Edited by Theme Park

12 minutes ago, Theme Park said:

Brad I am not saying give these companies a blank cheque and millions of dollars as the two ideas I had for financial incentives could be leasing (not selling) public land really really cheap for these companies to build on or maybe giving exemptions on certain taxes (not all taxes just some) in hope of attracting these big international names such as legoland and universal studios.

Something we should do more often on a much wider scale and it happens in other countries especially Asia.

Need a 6,8,10 lane highway? Get the chinese in to build it for us and in return they can build commercial properties along it for their investment/return

Need a new rail network, get the chinese in to build it and they can setup every station as a commercial/residential precint (look at Singapores MRT)

Need a themepark, give them the land on a 99 year lease at peppercorn rent and have them build and run it.

It's win, win , we get the infrastructure we need, they get a return on the commercial ventures and we either generate new local jobs through the construction or in the commercial premises and businesses created, or in a theme park sense - tourism $, our economy and infrastructure would benefit.

Everyone is so terrified of foreign investment and being taken over though.

• Like 1

Since this is going to eventually turn into a political conversation anyway, i'm just going to go there now and not in two pages time - right now politically we're very fiscally austere, which is honestly pretty damn foolish given our current foot-hole in the global economy should be more than enough incentive for us to invest in our country's future while the dollar is in a good place. Here's a good starter article on why this kind of fiscal policy is generally frowned upon - we did the polar opposite when the GFC hit and we were one of the least impacted major economies as a result.

With this in mind, our government, just like a lot of their constituents, aren't in a place to be forward thinking right now. Instead of embracing public transport, investing in major new industries like renewable energies or enabling rural communities to have the same competitive advantages as their city counterparts through lasting technology like Fibre To The Premises, we're doubling down on building coal mines, trying to retain outdated jobs and industries instead of investing in retraining, and we're cutting corners every where we can to save a buck.

With all this said and done, right now we can't even get a tram line through Burleigh Heads without conservative opposition, I doubt any member in parliament is willing to put their name behind what would like "giving land away" unless interested parties come begging and it's a signed, sealed & delivered idea.

• Like 1

I feel like if there were going to be state government incentives provided to potential developers, other states would be more likely to make that deal over QLD. The QLD government probably has more important things on its mind right now other than "Give Universal some land and a handshake to build a theme park". With everyones concerns over the motorways up there, It would be more likely they would avoid putting in another theme park that would only end up further screw the roads they can't fix. 

the big parks don't have a chance here. Legoland is probably the only suggestion that would have a shot. Six Flags could probably do something too, but probably wouldn't be willing to take the risk, even with the right incentives.

But that said, why should the QLD state government offer a special deal to a new theme park company, when the ones already here need help to get through what is a difficult time? I'm sure Ardent and VRTP would look favourably on a state government that increases their competition... and then we're likely to see them not invest in this market.

4 hours ago, AlexB said:

the big parks don't have a chance here. Legoland is probably the only suggestion that would have a shot. 

Universal Studios singapore only gets around three and a half million visits annually. So I would say given how in 2014-2015 financial year dreamworld got just under two and half million visits I would say a Universal Studios park would be feasible especially considering how by it being a bigger international name than dreamworld would likely attract a few hundred thousand more guests annually.

5 hours ago, AlexB said:

But that said, why should the QLD state government offer a special deal to a new theme park company, when the ones already here need help to get through what is a difficult time?

You have a point perhaps we need a financial bailout scheme in case of near bankruptcy for these parks especially considering how if they close we won't be seeing any where near as many tourists visiting the region as we do currently.

5 hours ago, AlexB said:

I'm sure Ardent and VRTP would look favourably on a state government that increases their competition... and then we're likely to see them not invest in this market.

My logic is that the more theme parks we have the more visitors we get and the more visitors we get the more people who will visit Ardent and VRTP parks.

Universal is part of Resorts World Sentosa. The park is financially viable because regardless of gate, the Island as a whole supports itself. You wouldn't get the same destination here just by inviting Universal to plonk itself down on a spare scratch of land.

I don't agree to any financial bailout scheme for the parks. It is beyond a joke that taxpayer money would fund a commercial enterprise - and a failed one at that.

Your logic is fair, but flawed. There is a critical mass with theme park traffic, and our mass here on the GC is a lot lower than overseas. All one has to do is take a look at the discussions here from people planning a trip to the GC - to find they usually are weighing up which park to do - ie: they can't, or don't want to do them all. Increasing the number of gates on the coast will decrease admissions to the others.

As much as I love theme parks, Queensland already has 6 major theme parks, 5 of which are in the Gold Coast. It definitely doesn't need even more! 

What I would like to see is Dreamworld sold to a major international theme park operator like those you mentioned. Ideally Merlin in my opinion. 

Obviously it's up to Ardent if they want to sell it though, and it's up to any suchbig international company if they want to buy it.

That last bit is where maybe the government could playa small part to help sweeten the deal! 

The Gold Coast has room for about 2 more big parks, that's the opinion of the GCCC and various talks of various kinds have occurred over the years, it's hard to get all the ducks in a row to get a new park up though.

All the same, I feel we'll see another big park proposed sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Theme Park said:

Universal Studios singapore only gets around three and a half million visits annually. So I would say given how in 2014-2015 financial year dreamworld got just under two and half million visits I would say a Universal Studios park would be feasible especially considering how by it being a bigger international name than dreamworld would likely attract a few hundred thousand more guests annually.

Why build a Universal Studios here when there is one a short plane trip away? Same could be said for Legoland.

I think we're forgetting that there are a few capital cities in Australia that could set up a decent sized park and, if managed well, could be successful. I think the Melbourne renaissance is a fine example.

8 minutes ago, iwerks said:

Why build a Universal Studios here when there is one a short plane trip away? Same could be said for Legoland.

Flight from brisbane to Legoland Malaysia (Which is in Johor Bahru) takes at least over Twelve and a half hours and Flights from Brisbane to Universal Studios (Which is in Singapore) take at least over Eight hours. These plane flights are not short like Brisbane to Auckland which takes just Three Hours.

Twelve and a half hours? Is that including a bus or train journey as well?

Singapore is 5 hours from Perth, which is not much longer than it takes to get to the GC, for us.

Compared to how long it used to take to get to LA or Orlando - it's local. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Legoland did open a park in Australia.

51 minutes ago, iwerks said:

Twelve and a half hours? Is that including a bus or train journey as well?

Singapore is 5 hours from Perth, which is not much longer than it takes to get to the GC, 

Flights to johor bahru take twelve and a half hours because considering how it is only a regional airport you have to make a stop over in order to get there. Plus for most people in Australia the gold coast is much closer than singapore with much shorter flying times.

25 minutes ago, Theme Park said:

Flights to johor bahru take twelve and a half hours because considering how it is only a regional airport you have to make a stop over in order to get there. Plus for most people in Australia the gold coast is much closer than singapore with much shorter flying times.

But if it is 5 hours from PER to SIN, why then would it take a further 7.5 hours to travel the 35km via coach from Changi Airport to Johor?

1 hour ago, Gazza said:

But if it is 5 hours from PER to SIN, why then would it take a further 7.5 hours to travel the 35km via coach from Changi Airport to Johor?

You fly from brisbane (not perth) to some where like the phillipines then you switch planes and fly from the phillipines to Johor Bahru. It takes so long because since Johor Bahru's airport is not a major airport you can't fly direct. Since it is still a long flight from brisbane to singapore you would only save a bit over 2 hours flying to Changi airport and taking the bus to legoland Malaysia due to it likely taking a while to get through border security.

Edited by Theme Park

12 hours ago, iwerks said:

I think we're forgetting that there are a few capital cities in Australia that could set up a decent sized park and, if managed well, could be successful. I think the Melbourne renaissance is a fine example.

Perth has shorter trip times to some places than the east coast.

As for melbourne - although "all weather" parks work in other parts of the world, the Australian idyllic is sun, surf and sand, which is why the gold coast is such a popular tourist destination, and hence why we have 4 (5?) theme parks within spitting distance.

That same brush doesn't work on Melbourne, which is beautiful one minute, pouring the next, and is possibly the only place in Australia where you experience all 4 seasons in an hour.

Disney would make it work. I doubt many others could.

10 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

Keep in mind Australia is not just Queensland. From Perth it is cheaper to fly to Singapore then to fly interstate to the east coast.

Hence why AW isn't going to get the east coast patronage when there are far superior parks within closer \ cheaper reach.

Queensland (specifically the gold coast) is within 2 hours flight of the majority of the Australian population. It just makes sense.

IPs would also have to be taken into consideration if a new theme park were to open, take for example Six Flags, if they were to build a park they wouldn't probably have too many rides based off Time Warner properties due to VRTP's license with DC/Looney Tunes/Scooby-Doo.

I am uncertain about VRTP and Harry Potter if Universal were to build a park here with a Wizarding World area, same thing with Dreamworld's contract with Dreamworks Animation as Universal bought the animation studio last year and that Universal already have a few Dreamworks based attractions. 

21 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Licenses aren't granted in perpetuity. The licensor would simply need to wait until the contract was up for renewal, and decline to renew it.

I was more thinking of in the rare case that a theme park is constructed in the next few years when either Dreamworld or Movieworld still have these licenses, but I can see what you mean.

Does anyone know what happened to the Harry Potter License that VRTP had