Seat size on Hypercoaster

HandsyGruber

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

^Agreed and can give a perfect example - Silver Bullet at Knott's is a B&M custom invert, but the seat sizing was quite tight for me the last time I went... whereas most everything else we did wasn't a problem.

Ever been to Japan? I'm not a huge dude, but I'm a short guy with a big belly. The restraints in Japan hated me.

I was always like one click away from being too large for basically every coaster in Japan. I'd have the ride ops jumping on my restraint to push it down.

Weirdly enough my mate who is much taller than me and basically the same weight was perfectly.

I had an experience at SW on Friday night.   As I queued for Storm Coaster the male in front of me was a very large gentleman.  I thought to myself there is no way this guy is going to fit under the restraints.  It was easy to see.  

When he went to get into the seat the ride attendant told him to lift his stomach and she would lower the restraint as he sat.  It was like synchronised swimming at a whole new level.  About half way during this delicate procedure the attendant realised it was never going to work.   She kindly told him he would not be able to ride and he would have to get off.  I could see the embarrassment rush over his face.  He was embarrassed and flustered and wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible. 

For a large man he moved extremely fast and before the attendant could assist him off he was halfway out.  He stepped onto the side of the wet boat to get out and lost his footing and fell.  He landed flat on his face on the loading platform.  The staff rushed around him and helped he back up.

I thought this could have all been avoided if as he entered the queue the attendant that checks your height told him he probably wasn’t going to fit.  I could see it and I have never loaded somebody onto a ride. 

Unlike a person's height or physical disability (like plaster cast \ amputation \ prosthetic etc) it'd be an extremely dangerous area for the cast member to wade in on - people tend to get very defensive if someone suggests that they're "too fat". best to let them try if they've come this far, and try all you can to help them do it.

i've seen them do the 'belly lift' procedure before, and almost always successfully. I've also seen the very forceful actions on restraints to just get them one more click.

i think it's good that cast members try everything they can to get you on the ride within safety limits... but perhaps some caution is needed when someone wants to disembark a little prematurely!!!

55 minutes ago, AlexB said:

i've seen them do the 'belly lift' procedure before, and almost always successfully. I've also seen the very forceful actions on restraints to just get them one more click.

I wonder if a belly lift is procedure or has been passed on from one attendant to another.

55 minutes ago, AlexB said:

i think it's good that cast members try everything they can to get you on the ride within safety limits...

I know of two cases (Perilous Plunge & Texas Giant) where the cast member has thought they had secured an overweight guest within the safety limits and both fell out of the restraints to their deaths.

Perilous Plunge -

The seat belt was buckled and the lap bar was down, though they might not have been in an optimal position (the controls did show it was locked and when it returned empty it was still in the lock position.

Neither manufacturer Intamin nor Knott's had written instructions for ride operators handling passengers whose physical characteristics might threaten their safety.

After the Texas Giant it was discussed that:

“Clearly, the takeaway from the Texas Giant incident was that one size fits all doesn’t work anymore,” he said. “There are way too many body sizes and types out there to go with a single point-of-failure restraint system.”

The thing that is keeping me up at night is rides have systems to keep us safe but what is in place to guarantee a lap bar is indeed sitting on your lap and not your stomach.

As shown in the above cases the ride control system only knows if the lap bar is down far enough.  What it doesn’t know is what part of your body it’s holding down. 

With the Hypercoaster...  Pushing down on the tubing that comes around and into the sides of the lap restraint gives you more leverage over the harness system...

As someone who has been too large for almost every ride in the gold coast theme parks...  You go in knowing there is the possibility that you may not fit...  Is it embarrassing as hell when it happens?  Yes...  But if you can remember that it is for your own safety that you cannot ride and not an attack on you as a person it's not nearly as bad...

In my case it was due to medications, surgery and 4 months of bed rest (lack of being able to exercise) that I went from 90kg up to 140kg...  It took me 5 years to be able to once again fit into every ride at MW but I'll be damned if on every trip to the park I didn't check to see how close I was to being able to ride and celebrated that little bit when I could add a ride back into my trips...  But I always requested to be placed towards the back of the ride in case I had to disembark due to harness not being able to close...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

In my case it was due to medications, surgery and 4 months of bed rest (lack of being able to exercise) that I went from 90kg up to 140kg...  It took me 5 years to be able to once again fit into every ride at MW but I'll be damned if on every trip to the park I didn't check to see how close I was to being able to ride and celebrated that little bit when I could add a ride back into my trips...  But I always requested to be placed towards the back of the ride in case I had to disembark due to harness not being able to close...

Amazing job on bringing your weight back down mate, congratulations!

• 5 months later...

Hey guys,

LONG time lurker and first poster. I used to frequent movie world all the time about 7 years ago. Never had issues with any rides but now I’m slightly heavier and worried I might have an issue. I’m 6ft1, 113kg, chest 112cm and waist 115cm. Wouldn’t say I’m hugely fat, but overall a big guy. I’m wanting to go back again to try the hyper coaster, and ride my all time favourite ride- super man escape  

Do you guys guys think I’llbe fine to fit on all the rides there still? 

3 hours ago, Brendo88 said:

Hey guys,

LONG time lurker and first poster. I used to frequent movie world all the time about 7 years ago. Never had issues with any rides but now I’m slightly heavier and worried I might have an issue. I’m 6ft1, 113kg, chest 112cm and waist 115cm. Wouldn’t say I’m hugely fat, but overall a big guy. I’m wanting to go back again to try the hyper coaster, and ride my all time favourite ride- super man escape  

The Hyper-Coaster has a test seat which you can try at the queue. If you pull it down and the light goes green, your good to go. 

You should be good on Arkham Asylum with the new restraints that they have, but i'm not too sure about Superman Escape.

7 hours ago, Brendo88 said:

Hey guys,

It'll be very very close. They may have to 'staple' you, so don't be upset if they can't fit you in. The RideOps don't judge.

As Flynn says, try the test seat.

@Brendo88 I'm slightly shorter (5'10"), 112kg, ~102cm waist but with a bit of a belly which gets in the way of the harness.

I just fail the test seat, but pass on the ride. I can get a green but can't hold the harness in that position.
If you fail on the test seat, wiggle about and then have someone push on it to see how you go.

On Superman, as it pins you on the thighs not around the waist, I have about 4 cm clear of the yellow thread if that helps.

47 minutes ago, red dragin said:

@Brendo88 I'm slightly shorter (5'10"), 112kg, ~102cm waist but with a bit of a belly which gets in the way of the harness.

I just fail the test seat, but pass on the ride. I can get a green but can't hold the harness in that position.
If you fail on the test seat, wiggle about and then have someone push on it to see how you go.

On Superman, as it pins you on the thighs not around the waist, I have about 4 cm clear of the yellow thread if that helps.

Thank you that gives me an idea. I’m quite tall and muscular but definitely have a bit of a pot belly lol. 

Im guessing I should be ok with them both. Im only 4kg heavier than I was 7 years ago at the park and didn’t have any issues then, but then again rivals wasn’t there then. 

I fluctuate between a 107 and a 117. I've got a bit of a belly but I do just fine. If you're worried, go along with someone who you know will fit, get them to wait until you're seated, and then get them to shove the harness down until its able to be buckled in and you should be fine. the ops will give it a shove if it doesn't quite make it, but I never need op assistance myself.

Scooby could be your only worry depending on where you hold it exactly, but worst case, lift the belly and pull the bar under it and you should do fine.

On 10/07/2018 at 7:59 AM, AlexB said:

I fluctuate between a 107 and a 117. I've got a bit of a belly but I do just fine. If you're worried, go along with someone who you know will fit, get them to wait until you're seated, and then get them to shove the harness down until its able to be buckled in and you should be fine. the ops will give it a shove if it doesn't quite make it, but I never need op assistance myself.

Scooby could be your only worry depending on where you hold it exactly, but worst case, lift the belly and pull the bar under it and you should do fine.

Thanks mate, I’m almost down to 110 now so I think I should be fine coupled with the fact I’m quite tall also. Probably stressing over nothing!

wont be able to go on Scooby this time anyway as it will be closed when I’m there unfortunately 

Edited by Brendo88

On 11/07/2018 at 2:33 PM, Brendo88 said:

Thanks mate, I’m almost down to 110 now so I think I should be fine coupled with the fact I’m quite tall also. Probably stressing over nothing!

wont be able to go on Scooby this time anyway as it will be closed when I’m there unfortunately 

I'm currently 128kg, 178cm and fit on every single ride at MW...  You should be fine

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everyone for their assistance. I went to the park today and had no issues with the test seat or on ride. Superman escape I had a good 10 cm clear of the line so was worried about nothing. Man rivals is an awesome coaster! Interestingly as others have said it seems like staff are on the ball as while I was waiting in line I saw on a few occasions that they nicely explained to some people that were quite a bit bigger than me that the harness design may not fit them. 

• Like 4

On 14/08/2018 at 5:41 PM, Brendo88 said:

Just wanted to thank everyone for their assistance. I went to the park today and had no issues with the test seat or on ride. Superman escape I had a good 10 cm clear of the line so was worried about nothing. Man rivals is an awesome coaster! Interestingly as others have said it seems like staff are on the ball as while I was waiting in line I saw on a few occasions that they nicely explained to some people that were quite a bit bigger than me that the harness design may not fit them. 

Great to hear you were able to enjoy your visit! Rivals is certainly an awesome ride.

• Like 1

2018 update.

First time poster. Went to DW and WBMW over the weekend. I am F 168cm, 112kg, large bust (E) and Sz 20/22. Carry weight fsurky evenly but bigger in thighs and bum. Had no problems fitting on all rides (Tower of terror, buzz saw, green lantern and scooby doo all shut for maintenance)

Went on:

Hot wheels (front, middle and back carts)

The Claw

DoohanMotocoaster (front and middle bikes)

Giant Drop

Escape from Madagascar (middle section chairs)

Wipeout

Superman Escape (front, middle and back carts)

Arkham Asylum (front, middle and back)

DC Rivals (front section, middle section, and backwards seat)

Doomsday Destroyer 

Batwing

The only real issues (comfort more than fit) were breasts and thighs on claw (seats are narrowish for bigger thighs which effects how harness sits. Had to smoosch breasts in U gap in harness.) Thighs on DC Rivals too as seats narrow and not great for those with thighs or hips. Again not an issue to secure harness more comfort (though was grateful once ride was running lol)

Hope that helps. I know i was majorly stressing before going and frequented these sites so hope this may help others.

• Like 1